Hypothetical Playoff Chance For Oregon?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Hypothetical Playoff Chance For Oregon?

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
nogerO wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Maybe we should all slow down a bit, it’s been fun watching Oregon lately but theres still a lot of tough games to be played. DTR is looking far better than ever and we know Chip is an offensive genius that is hungry for a win against Oregon, UCLA is gonna be a really tough game. Seems way too early to think about post season.
‘wait until our pass rushers come after him and hit him in the mouth a few times. He’ll return to the same guy who gets rattled and throws picks’.

And Utah didn’t employ that game plan? Arguably with a better front 7? Arguably a better back end? The only reason I like and barely favor the Ducks, is because it’s at Autzen. I wouldn’t put money on them if the game was in Pasadena. This game may come down to Nix again, and hopefully he continues his stellar play.
I agree with this, not sure where the over confidence from duck fans is coming from, again it’s been fun watching Oregon improve but they’ve beaten some not so good competition. BYU got beat by a very mediocre Notre Dame team, WSU only put up 14 against USC, Stanford enough said, and Zona is also bottom half of the PAC. UCLA and DTR will by far be Oregon’s biggest challenge of the season so far not named Georgia. I think Oregon will end up winning but any duck fan that thinks Oregon should waltz right in and destroy UCLA and DTR are overreacting to Oregon’s wins.

Our front seven is better vs the run, and has started to get lots of pressure on passing down. If you go to a game and can watch Riley dominate the OL, you wouldn’t be arguing that Utah has a better front 7.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I decided to use ESPN's CFP predictor and apparently they said that if we run the table and win the CCG we have a 52% chance of making the playoffs.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

DuckzRule wrote:I decided to use ESPN's CFP predictor and apparently they said that if we run the table and win the CCG we have a 52% chance of making the playoffs.
I know it's dumb, but I'd really like another shot at Georgia. They look like they've come down to Earth a couple notches and we look much better since opening day. I'm not saying we'd win, I'd just like to see a more competitive game.
John 3:36
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

SuperDuck wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:I decided to use ESPN's CFP predictor and apparently they said that if we run the table and win the CCG we have a 52% chance of making the playoffs.
I know it's dumb, but I'd really like another shot at Georgia. They look like they've come down to Earth a couple notches and we look much better since opening day. I'm not saying we'd win, I'd just like to see a more competitive game.
I’m on board with this line of thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I hope Clemson loses to Syracuse so that way we have a greater chance at the playoffs if we run the table.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

BYU taking a massive nose dive is going to hurt these chances
chapelhillduck
Senior

Hypothetical Playoff Chance For Oregon?

Post by chapelhillduck »

If we run the Pac12 table and beat USC in champ, we’re in

That said, no one has ever run yet Pac12 table

If this all happens the first game will be discounted bc it was in Georgia, and was Lanning, the staff, and like half the rosters first game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

I would definitely be OK with a Rose Bowl with a one-loss Oregon against a one-loss Michigan with whippings of UW, OSU, and USC along the way. That would be the best Rose Bowl matchup in years.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I'm afraid of our next two games. It's always the "easy" games that kill us.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Our best chance was beating an undefeated top 5 USC team in the title game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

If we have one (game one and defending national champ) loss going in and we beat either a one loss USC or UCLA team I think our chances are pretty good.

Go Ducks!!!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I think we'll get iced out of the playoff because of the Georgia loss. I just think too many people on the committee won't be able to overlook the lopsided score.

That said, I think we'll run the table and that includes winning the Pac-12 title and the Rose Bowl. I don't think it will matter who we play. I'm buying these Ducks hard.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Been here before, in a way... Remember the fiasco of #4 Corn Hucksters (Who didn't even make the B12 Title Game, and got curb stomped by Colorado) vs #1 Miami, while #2 Oregon (One loss, to Stanford, at mid-season, 42-49) was relegated to playing #3 Colorado (2 losses, but stomped Nebraska, 62-36, and won the B12 title game) .

P12, 10, or whatever, may never get a fair shake under the current format.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

squintsdd wrote:
duck023 wrote:Oregon was 5th ranked with loses to LSU and USC. I think some people think it's still the BCS era and perfection is needed. Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State/Michigan are taking spots. The question is can Oregon pass Clemson and Oklahoma. I don't think Oregon should be afraid Clemson at all. If Oregon beats all the Pac 12 schools with the BYU and a loss to the number 1 team they are in. The Pac 12 is no joke though even though the east coast pretends it is worse than the ACC.
I agree that Oregon is better than Clemson, but an unbeaten Clemson gets in over a1 loss Oregon team. Yeah that one loss came to the number one team, but it was an ass kicking
Clemson's in the Mountain East I understand that well. Oregon has a tougher gauntlet with a loss but Oregon's not out of it. I actually think if TCU stays undefeated, they pass Clemson. However, there are some remaining games, so you never know what is going to happen.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

The best case scenario would be for both the Ducks and USC to win out and play in the CCG. That would be a Top-10 matchup.

Many of the other Top-10 teams play each other are going to have at least one loss. Tennessee and Georgia play and the winner will likely play Alabama in the SEC CCG. That still won't necessarily knock the losers out of playoff contention unless it's Alabama who'd then have 2 losses. Our best scenario is for 2 of those 3 teams to have a second loss because that would eliminate the comparison of a one loss SEC team vs a one loss Oregon team - especially if it fell between Georgia and Oregon.

Michigan and Ohio State will also play, so one of them will take a loss.

There's still a long way to go.
John 3:36