Hypothetical Playoff Chance For Oregon?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

Re: Hypothetical Playoff Chance For Oregon?

Post by duckfan96 »

Thanks for some reason I thought the rose was one of the playoff games.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

The key with Oregon is to be more consistent in the Pac 12. Weirdly I like Oregon's chances better this year with the loss to Georgia than I did when they beat Ohio State. Mainly because I trust this team quite a bit more to win Pac 12 games.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

After tonight, Oregon’s chances of reaching the playoffs have been greatly increased. LSU beat Alabama for their 2nd loss, Georgia thumped “#1” Tennessee Vols, and #4 Clemson lost.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

5$ wrote:After tonight, Oregon’s chances of reaching the playoffs have been greatly increased. LSU beat Alabama for their 2nd loss, Georgia thumped “#1” Tennessee Vols, and #4 Clemson lost.
Yep. I expect Texas to knock off TCU next week. If anyone actually watched TCU play today, their final score is very misleading.....they looked terrible. In fairness, they were without their best receiver, so that is partly why. However, much like with Clemson, it is obvious just watching them that they are not a playoff worthy team. Everyone knew Clemson was a complete fraud and they were exposed. If TCU gets their receiver back they may not be quite the level of fraud that Clemson was/is, but they will still likely be exposed.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

As much as people around here like to knock teams from the ACC and Big 12, I think we need a reality check too. Our record is 8-1 but we've only beaten 2 teams with over a 0.5 W/L record (and was very close to losing to WSU), and we took a beating from Georgia. It's not exactly the strongest resume. It has the opportunity to get better when we play Utah and the championship game, but this is really nothing to toot our horns about right now.

I bet the Clemson/TCU guys say the same thing about us that we say about them - weak conference/hasn't played anyone. They're not really wrong either.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

ducks5ever wrote:As much as people around here like to knock teams from the ACC and Big 12, I think we need a reality check too. Our record is 8-1 but we've only beaten 2 teams with over a 0.5 W/L record (and was very close to losing to WSU), and we took a beating from Georgia. It's not exactly the strongest resume. It has the opportunity to get better when we play Utah and the championship game, but this is really nothing to toot our horns about right now.

I bet the Clemson/TCU guys say the same thing about us that we say about them - weak conference/hasn't played anyone. They're not really wrong either.
Agreed^^^^

I'd love to think our Ducks are all world but our resume looks fair to midland at this point. However, we play UW (7-2), Utah (7-2) and OSU (6-3) to close out the regular season. That should bump our SOS quite a bit if we were to win out. With the exception of the Georgia game, this will be our toughest stretch all year.
John 3:36
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Yeah, I think people need to be realistic here. We aren't getting in over undefeated TCU, and there's a solid argument that 1-loss Tennessee should get in over us (though reasonable minds could disagree). Good chance we still don't control our destiny just yet.

And then there's the question of whether we actually want to, say, have a semifinal rematch against Georgia, versus play the Ohio State-Michigan loser in the Rose Bowl. I like this team a lot and we'd play Georgia tighter (almost by default), but I don't know, the Rose Bowl scenario kind of sounds like more fun.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I still think TCU drops at least one game as they can't keep relying on the opposing team's starting QB to go down with injury every week.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

ducks5ever wrote:As much as people around here like to knock teams from the ACC and Big 12, I think we need a reality check too. Our record is 8-1 but we've only beaten 2 teams with over a 0.5 W/L record (and was very close to losing to WSU), and we took a beating from Georgia. It's not exactly the strongest resume. It has the opportunity to get better when we play Utah and the championship game, but this is really nothing to toot our horns about right now.

I have only trashed the ACC! Don't compare the Big 12 to the Mountain East! I ended up being right since Clemson got dominated. I was also right that a path would open up for Oregon with both Alabama and Clemson losing. I didn't expect it right away but now the path is open for Oregon. If Oregon wins out, they are in! Yes, TCU is still there but TCU could still slip up or TCU could get screwed over again. Either way I'm more worried about Oregon and the Pac 12 games they have left than the teams in front of Oregon in the rankings. I thought you guys would have learned this lesson by now.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Tray Dub wrote:Yeah, I think people need to be realistic here. We aren't getting in over undefeated TCU, and there's a solid argument that 1-loss Tennessee should get in over us (though reasonable minds could disagree). Good chance we still don't control our destiny just yet.

And then there's the question of whether we actually want to, say, have a semifinal rematch against Georgia, versus play the Ohio State-Michigan loser in the Rose Bowl. I like this team a lot and we'd play Georgia tighter (almost by default), but I don't know, the Rose Bowl scenario kind of sounds like more fun.
Tennessee is not getting in over Oregon if Oregon wins out in their remaining gauntlet. Alabama might have that sort of pull but Tennessee doesn't. They were both beaten down and humbled by Georgia it's just the refs kept Tennessee in the game while the refs treated Oregon like how they always treat Oregon.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Tray Dub wrote:Yeah, I think people need to be realistic here. We aren't getting in over undefeated TCU, and there's a solid argument that 1-loss Tennessee should get in over us (though reasonable minds could disagree). Good chance we still don't control our destiny just yet.

I will never get on board with wanting to play a game with 0 chance to win a championship rather than have even a slim chance of winning one. Fans are too hung up on the old tradition of the Rose Bowl. It’s become much more meaningless with the addition of the playoff and will be even more meaningless when the playoff expands to 12 teams. It will always be more fun to me to have a shot at winning everything than winning a meaningless exhibition game.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It’s not bashing. The ACC is bad this year. No one is going to argue anything else. I’ve also not seen anyone say the big 12 is bad, just people questioning if TCU is really this good. I think Texas is good, when they have their starting QB. They are probably 8-1 or maybe even 9-0 without his injury. That’s why I believe they will win this week.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

droop10 wrote:

I will never get on board with wanting to play a game with 0 chance to win a championship rather than have even a slim chance of winning one. Fans are too hung up on the old tradition of the Rose Bowl. It’s become much more meaningless with the addition of the playoff and will be even more meaningless when the playoff expands to 12 teams. It will always be more fun to me to have a shot at winning everything than winning a meaningless exhibition game.
I agree, I've watched a lot of the UFC and I remember many people saying it wasn't a certain champions time yet and then they won anyways. Sometimes you win when you least expect it. I'm not sure I agree about the Rose Bowl because I do think it is still the best bowl out of the major bowl games but at the same time I am a little jealous of how Utah is the only team in the Pac 12 with a Sugar Bowl win. I would like Oregon to win a Sugar, Cotton or Orange Bowl one day but I'd prefer a punchers chance at a national title. Also, playoffs help with recruiting. The fact that Oregon is the first team to win a playoff game did help their recruiting.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

100% This ^

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Winning the PAC-12 championship game would leap us over Tennessee who won’t play in the SEC championship game. PAC-12 was way smart to eliminate North/South divisions and play the top-2 teams in the standings.