2023 Starting QB (Poll)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Assuming Bo Nix leaves, what should Oregon do at QB?

Ty Thompson/Jay Butterfield look like 'the guy,' go with them
24%
Dante Moore is a 5* and should be prepared to start
33%
Bring in a transfer QB to increase the competition
24%
Bring in a transfer QB to be 'the guy'
20%

Total votes: 46
Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: 2023 Starting QB (Poll)

Post by Everythingsducky »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:If I had known we could cheat and pick an option not on the poll I would have picked Nix for another year too!
Ditto. For now. For sure.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Everythingsducky wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:If I had known we could cheat and pick an option not on the poll I would have picked Nix for another year too!
Ditto. For now. For sure.
That's what STU gets for starting the Week 5 CFB Discussion Thread.

I subvert your poll.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Let’s hope Nix returns. He has a lot of negative to fix, and I’m not sure one good year will get him drafted any higher that the 5th round.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Why has the expectation become that a guy needs to be ready from day 1.
It isn't "Day 1" for TT. It's Year 3. And he couldn't beat out Anthony Brown.

A truly elite talent will shine on the field. It will be obvious. If Dante arrives and he is even comparable to TT then he should start.

To be honest, though, I didn't really consider Bo coming back for one more year. I wouldn't mind that so that Dante could have a year to learn the system. That said, if Dante is as good as all the analysts say he is, then might as well give him the keys and get this thing going.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:

A truly elite talent will shine on the field. It will be obvious. If Dante arrives and he is even comparable to TT then he should start.

To be honest, though, I didn't really consider Bo coming back for one more year. I wouldn't mind that so that Dante could have a year to learn the system. That said, if Dante is as good as all the analysts say he is, then might as well give him the keys and get this thing going.
To your point, the rumblings around Mariota started almost immediately, and caused DT to leave early. Mariota is an extreme example but if a guy is special it’ll be obvious to everyone in the program. Even Nix started as a true freshman.

Not that a guy can’t flip the switch as an upper class man, there’s plenty of examples of those, but if Moore is as good as people think then you can’t wait around for Thompson to figure things out.

As an aside, I don’t completely understand the hype around Thompson. Other than being a 5* on one site, he hasn’t given fans any reason to be so excited. When DT was waiting in the wings Masoli was really struggling, and when DT came in during the Boise St. game, he threw bombs. It made sense why fans were so excited. That standing ovation Thompson got against BYU, after Nix had just finished dominating the #12 team, was a bit bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

pezsez1 wrote:

Your comment was regarding him not beating out Brown last year, which would have meant him starting in year 1. It’s just such an unrealistic expectation for guys that are playing the toughest position in football. People continually use anecdotal evidence of guys that start year 1 and ignore the fact that those are extreme cases and there are numerous examples of guys that don’t start until later. We’re just starting the same cycle with Moore and people will be disappointed if he’s not ready right out of the gate, which is just unreasonable. I have no idea if Thompson is the answer. I don’t see what he does in practice or if he’s showing improvement. I just find it crazy how many of the guys on this team get written off by the fan base if they don’t produce year 1 or 2, as if there isn’t any chance they could actually improve over time.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Interesting results so far. Not round numbers, but roughly 1/3 says you go with a current backup, 1/3 says roll with a true freshman, and 1/3 says bring in a transfer.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Well clearly 1/3 of us are right.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Interesting results so far. Not round numbers, but roughly 1/3 says you go with a current backup, 1/3 says roll with a true freshman, and 1/3 says bring in a transfer.

I assume 80% would say mix, if the poll had that as an option. But if he leaves put me in the Moore vs Van Dyke competition for QB1 camp.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Let’s hope Nix returns. He has a lot of negative to fix, and I’m not sure one good year will get him drafted any higher that the 5th round.
What do you think he needs to fix?

- He evades pressure at a high level (zero sacks taken)
- Is mobile
- Goes through progressions
- Good throwing motion
- Solid footwork
- Strong arm
- Leads his receivers and throws them open as opposed to just throwing in their vicinity

He has the bad throw against UGA where he didn't see the safety and the pick-6 against Wazzu where he didn't see the LB. Every QB has those plays. He's 72% for the year and 80% passing outside of UGA. He has been arguably a top 10 QB in all of CFB this year
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

I don't think you guys are factoring in the probability of an injury. A true freshman plus whoever doesn't transfer out is not much of a QB room if someone gets hurt. History shows that Oregon gets its pick of top-quality transfers.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Your comment was regarding him not beating out Brown last year, which would have meant him starting in year 1.
I did forget that last year was his first year, but my comment was not suggesting he should have started Day 1. If TT were that guy, though, he would have won the job as the season progressed. Think Justin Herbert. He was obviously a star. The staff went with Prukop's experience, but when it became clear he wasn't great (and that the team wouldn't succeed with him at QB) the staff turned toward developing Herbert -- a move that eventually paid off with a Rose Bowl win for the program. Yes, the Ducks reached the Pac-12 title game with Anthony Brown at QB, but really it was more in spite of him than because of him.

Bo Nix is having a great year and I think he's surprising even some of his staunch critics. But if we're talking about two guys with virtually no meaningful in-game experience -- and one has worlds of potential while the other has looked extremely mediocre after two years of practices and scattered in-game reps -- is there really a debate over which one likely has a higher ceiling? I mean, this seems like a pretty easy bet.

Oregon has national title aspirations. We need to aim high.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

pezsez1 wrote:
Your comment was regarding him not beating out Brown last year, which would have meant him starting in year 1.
I did forget that last year was his first year, but my comment was not suggesting he should have started Day 1. If TT were that guy, though, he would have won the job as the season progressed. Think Justin Herbert. He was obviously a star. The staff went with Prukop's experience, but when it became clear he wasn't great (and that the team wouldn't succeed with him at QB) the staff turned toward developing Herbert -- a move that eventually paid off with a Rose Bowl win for the program. Yes, the Ducks reached the Pac-12 title game with Anthony Brown at QB, but really it was more in spite of him than because of him.

Bo Nix is having a great year and I think he's surprising even some of his staunch critics. But if we're talking about two guys with virtually no meaningful in-game experience -- and one has worlds of potential while the other has looked extremely mediocre after two years of practices and scattered in-game reps -- is there really a debate over which one likely has a higher ceiling? I mean, this seems like a pretty easy bet.

Oregon has national title aspirations. We need to aim high.
You know, I use to think this too, then I watched brown in Baltimore's preseason, and he looked good. Brown was also very good prior to coming to Oregon. I think Oregon reached the title game in spite of bad play calling, not in spite of brown
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Not to beat an old horse, but look at Tyler Van Dyke, Brown wasn’t the problem, Mario was. He’s the QB killer.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Not to beat an old horse, but look at Tyler Van Dyke, Brown wasn’t the problem, Mario was. He’s the QB killer.
Herbert, Brown, Van Dyke. That does seem to make a trend.