Who should Oregon hire at OC? - (EDIT) Looks like it’s UTSA OC Will Stein

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Who should Oregon hire at OC?

Post by greenyellow »

The more I read the more I think Brennan Marion might be a decent option. His offensive philosophy comes from Malzahn's offensive tree as he played WR at Tulsa for Malzahn. That offense migrated over to ASU with Todd Graham, where Marion served an offensive quality control assistant under Mike Norvell, who helped with the verbiage and communication structures for Marion's future Go-Go offense. Also at ASU during that time was Kenny Dillingham.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/gogo-o ... e-analysis
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

greenyellow wrote:The more I read the more I think Brennan Marion might be a decent option. His offensive philosophy comes from Malzahn's offensive tree as he played WR at Tulsa for Malzahn. That offense migrated over to ASU with Todd Graham, where Marion served an offensive quality control assistant under Mike Norvell, who helped with the verbiage and communication structures for Marion's future Go-Go offense. Also at ASU during that time was Kenny Dillingham.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/gogo-o ... e-analysis
I'd be shocked if Marrion wasn't one of the guys DL was referring to when he made a comment about having compiled a list of potential assistant coaches he'd like to consider hiring over the time he was coming up through the ranks himself.

RIley is intriguing, but with his bro already HC at USC, might not be as readily welcomed by fans as some other prospects.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lmduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Canzano is back to stirring the pot after the loss, suggesting that the Anti-Phil faction of alumni want Mullens gone.
I read that article and you are right, John is right back to his old ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am going to say this one more time -

When interest is low (in Ducks, Blazers, etc.), Clownzano will try to drum up interest with puff pieces.
When interest is high, Clownzano will try to stir the pot.

It's whatever drives clicks. Stop supporting him either way. He's bad for sports in this state.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Canzano is back to stirring the pot after the loss, suggesting that the Anti-Phil faction of alumni want Mullens gone.
I read that article and you are right, John is right back to his old ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am going to say this one more time -

When interest is low (in Ducks, Blazers, etc.), Clownzano will try to drum up interest with puff pieces.
When interest is high, Clownzano will try to stir the pot.

It's whatever drives clicks. Stop supporting him either way. He's bad for sports in this state.
Totally agree and I can assure you that every new coach, AD dept. staff member etc who comes on board gets a John Canzano tutorial before they do anything. It's part of their 'onboarding'.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:Here are a couple articles that give some potential names:
https://fishduck.com/2022/11/dazeds-new ... gon-ducks/

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/lists/7- ... the-ducks/
Brian Hartline is the only intriguing new name to me. A lot of those retreads, especially with Oregon connections make me feel very meh.

I'd be cool with Herman but I know one former player who'd be jumping with joy for Brennan Marion and I tend to think he'd be my choice despite the lack of QB coaching.

Helfrich feels like it could either be a perfect blend or a total disaster.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

Herman is also a notorious asshole. Ask around from when he was at Texas, players and people on his staff fucking hated him.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UofO8 wrote:Herman is also a notorious asshole. Ask around from when he was at Texas, players and people on his staff fucking hated him.
Yeah that would seemingly take him off the list.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I've seen a couple places/analysts/insiders saying that this hire will be made quickly since the final recruiting weekend is coming up and Lanning will likely want an OC nearly finalized so he can sell the offensive guys on. Prehm or Skopil on the Autzen Audibles podcast pointed to an interview from a month ago with Marshall Malchow, Lanning's chief of staff, where he said Lanning is typically prepared for all things and situations, which likely means Lanning knew Dilly was leaving pretty early. They also pointed to interview shortly after Lanning was hired, where he said that he kept a list of coaches he'd met or watched over the years that he'd want on his staff. He'll probably be tapping into that list and working the phones/texts/emails to get this done quickly.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

greenyellow wrote:I've seen a couple places/analysts/insiders saying that this hire will be made quickly since the final recruiting weekend is coming up and Lanning will likely want an OC nearly finalized so he can sell the offensive guys on. Prehm or Skopil on the Autzen Audibles podcast pointed to an interview from a month ago with Marshall Malchow, Lanning's chief of staff, where he said Lanning is typically prepared for all things and situations, which likely means Lanning knew Dilly was leaving pretty early. They also pointed to interview shortly after Lanning was hired, where he said that he kept a list of coaches he'd met or watched over the years that he'd want on his staff. He'll probably be tapping into that list and working the phones/texts/emails to get this done quickly.
Yeah, I doubt the Dillingham news took Lanning by surprise. They seem pretty close, so I'm sure Dilly was telling him what was going on throughout the process. Lanning has probably already had a couple of weeks to start throwing out feelers and figuring out what direction he wants to go in.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:I've seen a couple places/analysts/insiders saying that this hire will be made quickly since the final recruiting weekend is coming up and Lanning will likely want an OC nearly finalized so he can sell the offensive guys on. Prehm or Skopil on the Autzen Audibles podcast pointed to an interview from a month ago with Marshall Malchow, Lanning's chief of staff, where he said Lanning is typically prepared for all things and situations, which likely means Lanning knew Dilly was leaving pretty early. They also pointed to interview shortly after Lanning was hired, where he said that he kept a list of coaches he'd met or watched over the years that he'd want on his staff. He'll probably be tapping into that list and working the phones/texts/emails to get this done quickly.
I heard that same interview as well and your points are very salient. I think the minute Herm was let go DL knew there was a possibility KD would be in the mix for the job. The writing was on the wall and this is no different from when Miami fired Diaz in October of '21. Mullens knew right then and there MC would be in the mix for that one. In fact there are some AD insiders who 100% believe that MC was contacted by Miami on the flight home after the Ohio State win because the groundswell to get rid of Diaz started just before that. No one will specifically own up to that now and it's a moot point, but there's lots of backdoor stuff that goes on when coaches come and go.

Also something to not discount, Malchow came from aTm. He has a lot of contacts and is well regarded. There was a reason he was one of DL's first hires. My guess is he will have input. DL (as I have been told) seeks out input and opinions from others and will certainly rely on his network as well.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Some new names being thrown out there, namely Duke OC Kevin Johns, former Texas State HC Jake Spavital, and Georgia Tech OC Chip Long:
https://duckswire.usatoday.com/lists/up ... move-fast/
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:Some new names being thrown out there, namely Duke OC Kevin Johns, former Texas State HC Jake Spavital, and Georgia Tech OC Chip Long:
Isn't the word on Chip Long that he is hard to work with? Maybe I have him confused with someone else.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lmduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Some new names being thrown out there, namely Duke OC Kevin Johns, former Texas State HC Jake Spavital, and Georgia Tech OC Chip Long:
Isn't the word on Chip Long that he is hard to work with? Maybe I have him confused with someone else.
Are you confusing him with Tom Herman?
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Did someone say Chip Kelly? Bring him back as OC!!!!!
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Are you confusing him with Tom Herman?
There are rumors that Long is also difficult to work with, though I believe he and Lanning crossed paths for a bit, so Lanning would at least have first-hand experience working with him to determine how accurate that is. I believe being a pain in the ass to work with is a reason Chip Long went from up and coming OC at Notre Dame to a guy that was having a hard time finding another OC position and ended up at Tulane and subsequently Georgia Tech. That doesn't seem like something that happens by accident.