2023 Transfer Portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Is Evan better than Bennett at covering the deep ball?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Is Evan better than Bennett at covering the deep ball?
Neither is a guy who is going to stay stride for stride with a guy for 50 yards. They're both more Eddie Pleasant types who can stuff the run and tackle in space. Putting them man on man with speedsters is a coaching problem.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Is Evan better than Bennett at covering the deep ball?
Neither is a guy who is going to stay stride for stride with a guy for 50 yards. They're both more Eddie Pleasant types who can stuff the run and tackle in space. Putting them man on man with speedsters is a coaching problem.
OK makes sense, we definitely could use a safety that covers the deep ball well next season.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Interesting pickup for Oregon with Connor Soelle. He's not exactly a star, all-league type but could provide some depth at LB that they sorely need.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:Interesting pickup for Oregon with Connor Soelle. He's not exactly a star, all-league type but could provide some depth at LB that they sorely need.
Where is he from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lmduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Interesting pickup for Oregon with Connor Soelle. He's not exactly a star, all-league type but could provide some depth at LB that they sorely need.
Where is he from?

Arizona State.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Potential future portal target? :lol:
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Bring him on!
John 3:36
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Texas just picked up Arkansas safety Jalen Catalon in the portal. If he's healthy, that is a nice pickup for them. Was an all-SEC player as a RS Freshman and then it looks like injuries have kept him off the field more recently.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm still confused by the Connor Soelle transfer. I don't see how that's worth a scholarship. Primarily a special teams player at ASU. Still doesn't feel like the defensive backfield is being adequately addressed.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm still confused by the Connor Soelle transfer. I don't see how that's worth a scholarship. Primarily a special teams player at ASU. Still doesn't feel like the defensive backfield is being adequately addressed.
Do we know that its actually a scholarship? This is where I'm at when it comes to all of these commits, are they on scholarship or an NIL package?
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm still confused by the Connor Soelle transfer. I don't see how that's worth a scholarship. Primarily a special teams player at ASU. Still doesn't feel like the defensive backfield is being adequately addressed.
I assumed Soelle was walking on, do we have info to the contrary? Lanning landed several guys last year around this time who turned down scholarships at other places to walk on here.

Can't help you with the complaint about the backfield. I count 6 HS DB signees and the transfer CB from Alabama, and it looks like they are going after Bennett's bro out of Fresno as well. That seems like a lot of addressing. Florence, Tucker, Barkins, Dickerson...somebody is going to have to develop.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I would put Soelle in the category of Riley and Rodgers last season. No one was excited about them but they fit what the coaches wanted and ended up being crucial additions. From people who’ve watch his film, he looks to be a fast, smart LB that wasn’t utilized much and didn’t fit what ASU was trying to do. At the very least he’s an upgrade over LaDuke and Flowe and gives us a quality rotation player.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I would put Soelle in the category of Riley and Rodgers last season. No one was excited about them but they fit what the coaches wanted and ended up being crucial additions. From people who’ve watch his film, he looks to be a fast, smart LB that wasn’t utilized much and didn’t fit what ASU was trying to do. At the very least he’s an upgrade over LaDuke and Flowe and gives us a quality rotation player.
If he just goes to the right place on most plays and doesn’t try to blow the guy up on every play (and just makes the tackle), huge improvement