2023 Transfer Portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal

Post by Duck07 »

Well I'm still hopeful that with NIL that Bo will return, leaving Moore as #2 pending a decision by Thompson.

In that case finding a portal QB3 could be a hard sell pending a low/mid tier guy unless Dan really likes one of the walk-ons.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:There’s some talk on twitter that Jahlil Florence is going to transfer.
Wasn't he the prized recruit from San Diego?
Yes, a cornerback. Someone said he was on instagram live with Thornton and McGee and Florence implied he was leaving as well, so take it with a grain of salt. He did recently like a post from Lincoln Riley.
My recollection is he chose Oregon over SC so he may now think he has more options there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spoke to someone who thinks at this moment that Florence will not go anywhere. Of course we know things can spin on a dime but this person seemed to think people read too much into his tweet or IG post (whatever it was).
Good to hear. In the little run he got this year, he looked to have a lot of potential.
Is Jahlil the better of the two CBs from San Diego? Always get those two confused because of their similar first names.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Jahlil Florence was the higher-rated CB and played a lot this season. Jalil Tucker played in one game before he was redshirted.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

lmduck wrote:This probably won't be a popular opinion but, the damage of the Cristobal regime definitely showed this year. That includes lack of QB development, failures in defensive line recruiting and in some areas bad coaching that was manifested by bad habits and poor development, i.e. the linebackers and DBs. Not casting aspersions on the players specifically but it's clear MC could recruit but could not develop and coach the talent he brought in.

There was a reason Saban stripped him of his assistant head coach titles at Alabama and just have him the o-line.

Please don't take this as an indictment of Mario, that's not the intent in any way, it just seems we are seeing some things come to light.
It's been funny to read the Miami Herald, amongst others, season reviews of Miami and the coaches being quoted on and off the record saying the coaching has been fine but the talent wasn't there to win games.
BOOF it!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lmduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:There’s some talk on twitter that Jahlil Florence is going to transfer.
Wasn't he the prized recruit from San Diego?
Yes, a cornerback. Someone said he was on instagram live with Thornton and McGee and Florence implied he was leaving as well, so take it with a grain of salt. He did recently like a post from Lincoln Riley.
My recollection is he chose Oregon over SC so he may now think he has more options there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spoke to someone who thinks at this moment that Florence will not go anywhere. Of course we know things can spin on a dime but this person seemed to think people read too much into his tweet or IG post (whatever it was).

I’m guessing some kids will act like they are leaving, to get more money. I think Worthy at Texas already pulled that and got a raise.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I wouldn't blame Ty if he wanted to leave to find another staff for development. We aren't exactly known for developing young QBs and he's going to have another OC. I believe he is going on his third year with his third OC?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

alxtw wrote:I wouldn't blame Ty if he wanted to leave to find another staff for development. We aren't exactly known for developing young QBs and he's going to have another OC. I believe he is going on his third year with his third OC?

Wait, did you just say the Oregon isn’t known for developing young QBs?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:
alxtw wrote:I wouldn't blame Ty if he wanted to leave to find another staff for development. We aren't exactly known for developing young QBs and he's going to have another OC. I believe he is going on his third year with his third OC?

Wait, did you just say the Oregon isn’t known for developing young QBs?
In recent years, they really haven't been.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

2022 - Bo Nix (transfer)
2021 - Anthony Brown (transfer)
2020 - Tyler Shough - (No/transfer out)
2019-2016: Justin Herbert (I'll say no to the "developed" question vs what he already showed at Sheldon)
2016: Dakota Prukop (transfer)
2015: Vernon Adams (transfer)
2014-2012: Marcus Mariota (Yes)
2011-2010: Darron Thomas (Yes)
2009-2008: Masoli and Co (serviceable but no development)
2007: Dixon (Yes, he had the right coach, whose scheme is the reason for the development of the above players. That he won games in the NFL tells me something "clicked" for him in addition to the scheme)
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Duck07 wrote:2022 - Bo Nix (transfer)
2021 - Anthony Brown (transfer)
2020 - Tyler Shough - (No/transfer out)
2019-2016: Justin Herbert (I'll say no to the "developed" question vs what he already showed at Sheldon)
2016: Dakota Prukop (transfer)
2015: Vernon Adams (transfer)
2014-2012: Marcus Mariota (Yes)
2011-2010: Darron Thomas (Yes)
2009-2008: Masoli and Co (serviceable but no development)
2007: Dixon (Yes, he had the right coach, whose scheme is the reason for the development of the above players. That he won games in the NFL tells me something "clicked" for him in addition to the scheme)
So chip Kelly develops quarterbacks
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

How many QBs are "developed" in college versus good right off the bat? USC always plays the best-new-guy, never guys who rode the bench for 3-4 years or guys who were bad to start and got better. Uw? Nope, usually their guys sucks to start and stays that way. Alabama? Clemson? If we go by Duck07's definition above that excludes Herbert (which should then exclude Mariota, because people raved about what he did on the practice squad his freshman year), the only schools that "develop" their starters are ones where they don't mind absorbing a lot of losses while the guy gets better. Otherwise, you need a player who is so good out of high school that they'll figure it out in 1-2 years in college. If you're a high-ceiling QB who has some major flaws coming out of high school, best off going somewhere where you'll still get playing time anyway.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Another Texas A&M guy in the portal. Miami has lost a few players. UVA QB Brennan Armstrong is now in the portal.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:How many QBs are "developed" in college versus good right off the bat? USC always plays the best-new-guy, never guys who rode the bench for 3-4 years or guys who were bad to start and got better. Uw? Nope, usually their guys sucks to start and stays that way. Alabama? Clemson? If we go by Duck07's definition above that excludes Herbert (which should then exclude Mariota, because people raved about what he did on the practice squad his freshman year), the only schools that "develop" their starters are ones where they don't mind absorbing a lot of losses while the guy gets better. Otherwise, you need a player who is so good out of high school that they'll figure it out in 1-2 years in college. If you're a high-ceiling QB who has some major flaws coming out of high school, best off going somewhere where you'll still get playing time anyway.
Well, I guess after watching this he's still the same QB today as he was at St Louis so I won't argue that one, lol.