MBB C Ware transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

MBB C Ware transferring

Post by greenyellow »

MBB C Kel'el Ware is entering the transfer portal. Big loss since he had so much potential and technically fits better in a modern basketball system. Oregon will now have to hope Dante stays or they'll have to go to the transfer portal for big man depth.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: MBB C Ware transferring

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don’t think this is a huge loss, I felt like he always thought he’s better than he really is and I got the feeling he has attitude issues. He’s very talented and has a ton of potential but I think Ware is Ware’s biggest hurdle in finding success in basketball, but I’m afraid he’ll end up blaming everyone else. I don’t think this will be the first time he enters the transfer portal.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Honestly, the number of transfers from promising players makes me think Dana really does have problem that he needs to fix.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:Honestly, the number of transfers from promising players makes me think Dana really does have problem that he needs to fix.
It happens to every school. Ware got behind Dante and Bittle on the depth chart. Not much you can do about that.

It’s a problem the NCAA needs to fix.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

StevensTechU wrote:Honestly, the number of transfers from promising players makes me think Dana really does have problem that he needs to fix.
Nah, I think it's mainly that a lot of kids aren't willing to put in the work and overcome the slightest bit of adversity. They've come up with people endlessly talking about how incredible they are, so if they receive any hard coaching or reduction in playing time and they are ready to bail, as they think the coach it's the coach and not them. They don't believe they have to put in the work to actually earn the PT. It's unfortunate. I wish he would have stayed and put in the work over the offseason to improve, but he'll transfer somewhere, eventually it will probably click, and everyone will assume Altman was the problem, although it was clear he was trying to get through to him all year and get him to put forth the effort necessary to succeed at this level.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
It happens to every school. Ware got behind Dante and Bittle on the depth chart. Not much you can do about that.

This has been happening since Dana arrived, well before the portal and transferring became so common.

And other teams have manage to figure it out. Look at UCLA and Arizona; their best players stay and they’re able to build on something. We’re hitting the reset button every single season. It’s extremely tiring as a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

This has been happening since Dana arrived, well before the portal and transferring became so common.

And other teams have manage to figure it out. Look at UCLA and Arizona; their best players stay and they’re able to build on something. We’re hitting the reset button every single season. It’s extremely tiring as a fan.

I call fake news. Show me the data to prove that Oregon has more transfers than most other Pac-12 schools. Lots of people have been making claims about Altman recruiting that has been proven to be false. Let's roll with the Arizona claim....

I'll show you current data:
Arizona transfers 2019: 4 (three which were top 100 recruits)
Oregon transfers 2019: 3

Arizona transfers 2020: 1
Oregon transfers 2020: 2

Arizona transfers 2021: 7 (five which were top 100 recruits)
Oregon transfers 2021: 4

Arizona transfers 2022: 2
Oregon transfers 2022: 4

Arizona transfers 2023: 2
Oregon transfers 2023: 2

To summarize last 5 years, this is the # of transfers:
Arizona State 22
Washington 22
Utah 20
Washington State 17
Arizona 16
Oregon 15
Colorado 12
Oregon State 11
Cal 11
USC 10
Stanford 10
UCLA 2

So yeah, UCLA is the only team that has it figured out. Otherwise, Oregon is in the norm.. Having 10-20 transfers since 2019 is pretty average.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

If Ware and Williams ended up at washington next year, would I be happy? No, I wouldn't.

At the end of the day, I care about results, and since the results stink then I look to the process. And the process seems to reveal that Dana is either bad at identifying talent, bad at coaching up talent, or bad at retaining talent. Take your pick because there are examples of all three.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

Every school loses half the players from every class? Altman seems like a good dude, but sometimes what happens behind closed doors is different from what we as fans see.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Every school loses half the players from every class? Altman seems like a good dude, but sometimes what happens behind closed doors is different from what we as fans see.
Yes actually:
https://ducksattack.com/forum/viewtopic ... 11#p556511

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:If Ware and Williams ended up at washington next year, would I be happy? No, I wouldn't.

At the end of the day, I care about results, and since the results stink then I look to the process. And the process seems to reveal that Dana is either bad at identifying talent, bad at coaching up talent, or bad at retaining talent. Take your pick because there are examples of all three.
Last 5 years, he has been bad at recruiting talent. Not nearly recruiting at the level we saw him doing earlier here.

His coaching is legit. He got two terrible rosters to 20 wins the last two years. 5 sweet 16 appearances. We are the only team to have finished in the top 6 of the Pac-12 for 12 straight years. Something UCLA or Arizona can't claim.

Retaining recruits? I mean I guess he isn’t amazing at keep everyone but he also isn’t terrible. I’d put him in the middle. He kept the majority of guys for a few years that eventually went on our final 4 run.

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

I call fake news. Show me the data to prove that Oregon has more transfers than most other Pac-12 schools. Lots of people have been making claims about Altman recruiting that has been proven to be false. Let's roll with the Arizona claim....

I'll show you current data:
Arizona transfers 2019: 4 (three which were top 100 recruits)
Oregon transfers 2019: 3

Arizona transfers 2020: 1
Oregon transfers 2020: 2

Arizona transfers 2021: 7 (five which were top 100 recruits)
Oregon transfers 2021: 4

Arizona transfers 2022: 2
Oregon transfers 2022: 4

Arizona transfers 2023: 2
Oregon transfers 2023: 2

To summarize last 5 years, this is the # of transfers:
Arizona State 22
Washington 22
Utah 20
Washington State 17
Arizona 16
Oregon 15
Colorado 12
Oregon State 11
Cal 11
USC 10
Stanford 10
UCLA 2

So yeah, UCLA is the only team that has it figured out. Otherwise, Oregon is in the norm.. Having 10-20 transfers since 2019 is pretty average.
I knew you would jump all over the Arizona example ha.

My point was that quality teams either find a way to keep players, as ucla has, or bring in top transfers. If Oregon wants to get back to competing at the top and making runs in the tourney Dana has to figure how to either keep players around or get much better transfers than he has.

We can’t retain our young players and can’t bring in quality transfers. Losing talented young players and replacing them with Gurriers and Cousinards is a guaranteed way to be mediocre and lose a fan base.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

But my point is who does? 1 in every 12 teams (UCLA) can retain players.

I don't think that's necessarily a priority for success. I will say though, we do need better transfers. Altman has historical brought in good transfers up until basically the last 3 seasons. So, I would agree that is a key factor to his success.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Miami is a good example of this, they lost 5 transfers in 2021 (3 which were top 90 prospects). You'd think with numbers like that, they couldn't compete.

But they have four players averaging 13ppg or more.
1 transferred in 2021 from George Mason to Miami.
1 transferred in 2022 from Kansas State to Miami.
1 transferred in 2022 from Arkansas State to Miami.
1 was a 4 year Junior.

The reality is you don't need guys on your roster for 3-4 years. It's a false prerequisite. Would it help? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Getting the right transfers is everything.

(6 of Miami's top 7 scorers had not been on their roster for more than 1 season going into this season.)

EDIT: For fun, I checked San Diego State and their top 5 scorers, 3 of them never played a season at San Diego State before this year. And 1 of them had played only one season with San Diego State before.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Yes actually:
https://ducksattack.com/forum/viewtopic ... 11#p556511
None of those other schools have landed 5* and also done nothing with them. They a losing 3*, who didn’t deserve a scholarship in the first place. And that been my frustration