Page 1 of 2
Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:35 pm
by Alan
I listened to his post Wisconsin game rant and was very unimpressed and disappointed…… long story short he blamed the fans, asked to be fired and said he wanted to coach at the JC level.
Is it time for him to go?
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:39 pm
by greenyellow
No. He was just frustrated after a long, hard season and has since said he wants to be here at Oregon. He can easily turn it around.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:50 pm
by OregonFan4Life
Unless things turn around next season I see him “retiring” next season. The game has changed drastically and I don’t think it fits his coaching style but more importantly it doesn’t feel like he enjoys coaching at Oregon anymore which is evident with his interviews and post game conferences. I think if the ducks settle for the NIT next year again then we see him and Mullens agree that it’s best for both sides to part ways. Nothing against Altman, despite my criticism I know he was the right hire and did amazing things at Oregon, but I think for both team performance and fan involvement next year might have to be his last
I know this isn’t popular and I’m sure the Oregon loyalists on here will immediately disagree with me. This isn’t me disliking Altman, but rather looking at this from a business perspective, not as an Oregon fan.
Since there wasn’t a “maybe” option I voted yes most likely cause I’m struggling to see this team make the NCAA tournament next year.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:16 pm
by Quietduck
All I will say is that if we get rid of our current coach or he quits, there is no guaranty the next one will be better, so we better be sure before we make any decisions.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:02 pm
by UOducksTK1
Only Oregon fans could complain after 13 straight seasons of 20 wins. Clear No.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:07 pm
by Alan
9000 empty seats at last Duck home game, Wisconsin, 3300 fans in attendance, not just Ducks fans all NIT fans in the area. During the regular season we saw the same type of attendance, lots of empty seats. As a fan I was lost years ago, I loved the final four year, for me down hill ever since. Altman lost me completely after hearing his rant post game, I wish that would have cost him his job…… your wish to be fired shall be granted. Altman lost my respect when he covered up a sexual assault by some of his players so they could play in the tournament. This site has also suffered from the loss of many fans, Men’s BB threads are very short and game threads have posts by mainly one person but three or four will comment, that’s new over the last few years. All of this, IMO,is on Altman. Myself I do not care if he stays or goes because I will continue to not pay attention to the team or games until Dana start building a team and having players here for multiple years, not just a bunch of one and dones who don’t jell until after mid season.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:33 pm
by OregonFan4Life
UOducksTK1 wrote:Only Oregon fans could complain after 13 straight seasons of 20 wins. Clear No.
I’m pretty sure Mullens would rather have a coach that wins 15 games a year with consistent sellouts vs a coach that wins 20 games a win with an average of 3,000 in attendance. Not saying a new coach fixes the issue of lack of interest in men’s basketball but this has to be in Mullens’s mind.
And again I reiterate, I’m not sure Altman wants to coach much longer. Am I the only one getting the vibe that he doesn’t enjoy it as much anymore?
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:29 pm
by UOducksTK1
Making 3 NCAA tournaments didn’t seem to generate good attendance for us either:
https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2015/0 ... ketba.html
Reality is since Matt, it’s never been the same as Mac. And I don’t think a coach is gonna fix that. Plus personally I don’t care, I want to go to NCAA tournaments and win.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:31 pm
by Duck07
OregonFan4Life wrote:UOducksTK1 wrote:Only Oregon fans could complain after 13 straight seasons of 20 wins. Clear No.
I’m pretty sure Mullens would rather have a coach that wins 15 games a year with consistent sellouts vs a coach that wins 20 games a win with an average of 3,000 in attendance. Not saying a new coach fixes the issue of lack of interest in men’s basketball but this has to be in Mullens’s mind.
And again I reiterate, I’m not sure Altman wants to coach much longer. Am I the only one getting the vibe that he doesn’t enjoy it as much anymore?
I think its a useless comparison; I don't think there is a way to suddenly get more fans in the stands with a team that actually wins less and there is money the Conference/School makes from winning in the Tournament too.
I also think the primary issues with lack of fans has a lot to do with things outside the University's control, the primary ones being that people don't get their entertainment from going to sporting events as much anymore. Your TV remote has 17 different streaming services all built in vs going to the arena and the time and costs.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:31 pm
by Alan
Duck07 wrote:OregonFan4Life wrote:UOducksTK1 wrote:Only Oregon fans could complain after 13 straight seasons of 20 wins. Clear No.
I’m pretty sure Mullens would rather have a coach that wins 15 games a year with consistent sellouts vs a coach that wins 20 games a win with an average of 3,000 in attendance. Not saying a new coach fixes the issue of lack of interest in men’s basketball but this has to be in Mullens’s mind.
And again I reiterate, I’m not sure Altman wants to coach much longer. Am I the only one getting the vibe that he doesn’t enjoy it as much anymore?
I think its a useless comparison; I don't think there is a way to suddenly get more fans in the stands with a team that actually wins less and there is money the Conference/School makes from winning in the Tournament too.
I
also think the primary issues with lack of fans has a lot to do with things outside the University's control, the primary ones being that people don't get their entertainment from going to sporting events as much anymore. Your TV remote has 17 different streaming services all built in vs going to the arena and the time and costs.
I have to disagree Duck, I think the fans don’t show up because it is boring basketball, one guy dribbles down court and shoots, goes plays poor D and waits for the ball again……. We don’t play team basketball anymore, we show our stuff for the scouts.. have the men’s team had a star who played for multiple years since Prichard? Students and fans have no one to connect with. Autzen fills up every game, students show up hours early on a Saturday during near summer days,September, but do the same in cold wet November. This all on Altman, he is not adapting with the changes in college ball and I agree with OF4L, I don’t think Altman’s heart is in it anymore.
Altman’s comment about coaching at the JC level didn’t just pop out of his mouth, I think he has thought about how nice it would be to coach players who simply enjoyed playing, not spoiled, entitled kids. Working with a team not a bunch of kids he knows for a few months.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:15 am
by greenyellow
This year's team had some the most returning players they've had in years with Richardson, Dante, Guerrier, Soares, and Bittle. Those are all guys who've started games or been around long enough for people to know them. Fans have just been getting lazy with excuses ever since the pandemic. Even before the pandemic, people weren't really showing up as the final home game with Pritchard wasn't a sellout with the team ranked #13 in the country.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:47 am
by UOducksTK1
greenyellow wrote:This year's team had some the most returning players they've had in years with Richardson, Dante, Guerrier, Soares, and Bittle. Those are all guys who've started games or been around long enough for people to know them. Fans have just been getting lazy with excuses ever since the pandemic. Even before the pandemic, people weren't really showing up as the final home game with Pritchard wasn't a sellout with the team ranked #13 in the country.
This^ our basketball fans are bad even if we have a final 4 team.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:48 am
by Alan
UOducksTK1 wrote:greenyellow wrote:This year's team had some the most returning players they've had in years with Richardson, Dante, Guerrier, Soares, and Bittle. Those are all guys who've started games or been around long enough for people to know them. Fans have just been getting lazy with excuses ever since the pandemic. Even before the pandemic, people weren't really showing up as the final home game with Pritchard wasn't a sellout with the team ranked #13 in the country.
This^ our basketball fans are bad even if we have a final 4 team.
I have been to Mac Court for a few games…. Nuff said
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:52 am
by Autzenoise
I loved Mac Court. I haven't been to Matt yet. Am I a bad fan? Maybe, but Mac had history and a "feeling" that can't ever be replicated.
Re: Altman, simple Question
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:25 pm
by greenyellow
Alan wrote:UOducksTK1 wrote:greenyellow wrote:This year's team had some the most returning players they've had in years with Richardson, Dante, Guerrier, Soares, and Bittle. Those are all guys who've started games or been around long enough for people to know them. Fans have just been getting lazy with excuses ever since the pandemic. Even before the pandemic, people weren't really showing up as the final home game with Pritchard wasn't a sellout with the team ranked #13 in the country.
This^ our basketball fans are bad even if we have a final 4 team.
I have been to Mac Court for a few games…. Nuff said
I have too and it was past it's time as the home of a D1 school. Far too many have boycotted MKA because it doesn't have Mac Court's nostalgia or history. You know what helps build that? The fans themselves. MKA can be a great atmosphere but fans have to do the work for it to be that way, just like they did at Mac Court. Oregon is not going back to Mac Court any time soon so it's better to make new memories rather continuing to pine for something that won't happen.