Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

Now let's hope there is a decent Forward/Center at #23.

Sharpe's going to have to log minutes at SF.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

Didn't know Al-Farouq Aminu was still in the league, just traded to the Bulls. Tired ass looking MF lol
Good for him!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Blazers make the pick, Kris Murray out of Iowa. I was actually scoping this guy out earlier today. Seems like a good depth pick for forward. 6'8'' and a good scorer in college. So far so good in this draft.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Kris Murray, brother of Sac's Keegan, is taken #23 by Portland.

Seems like between Scoot/Sharpe/Little/Murray the bench scoring is set.

Dame/Thybulle/?/Grant/?

Does Ant+Nurk actually get you Ayton? Or can you flip those 2 for a better SF and use your remaining space to get a vet Center?
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

So, after leaking quite a number of trade rumors, the Blazers end up drafting with both picks. Were the leaks in order to satiate Lillard, who earlier made an implicit threat that his road would diverge with Portland's if they picked another 19-year old? Are they assuring him now that they really tried, but couldn't find any takers for Ant and #23, or are they just showing him the math and telling him they needed some rookie contracts?

Anyway, after all of Lillard's posturing, management just did the exact opposite of what he wanted. Is this a sign that Dame is losing some of his gravitas on the team?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Barring some unforeseen deals that bring immediate help once the FA/trade moratorium ends, I think we can probably say tonight ended Dame's time in Portland. Sucks that the franchise wasted an All-Star and one of the franchise's best players by making so many bad picks and trades/FA signings. Cronin is really no different than Olshey in overpromising and underdelivering. The day that the team is sold and has a new front office can't come soon enough.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:So, after leaking quite a number of trade rumors, the Blazers end up drafting with both picks. Were the leaks in order to satiate Lillard, who earlier made an implicit threat that his road would diverge with Portland's if they picked another 19-year old? Are they assuring him now that they really tried, but couldn't find any takers for Ant and #23, or are they just showing him the math and telling him they needed some rookie contracts?

Anyway, after all of Lillard's posturing, management just did the exact opposite of what he wanted. Is this a sign that Dame is losing some of his gravitas on the team?
Without having any real insight to what was available to Cronin, it would seem to me like he tried to make moves (Ant+3 for Bridges) but that he held his line in not making a bad trade (Zion, Siakam) versus taking who was available at #3 and going BPA.

I hope that Dame sees the value in playing off-ball for a few minutes a half with Scoot (and perhaps he'll see the value in that knowing he could be playing next to another ball-dominant player on another team) because if for some reason Cronin can work out an Ant+ for OG type trade this team could make the playoffs this year and hopefully gain the experience that would take them over the hump in years 2 and 3.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

If Jodi is truly going to sell the team, wouldn’t it be worth a lot more with Dame on the roster? Or is her timeline such a moot issue, she hopes it would possibly be worth more after the youngins progress after a few years? She doesn’t seem to be in any hurry, yet if the Dame-less Blazers end up sucking for a while, it could cost her. I realize she is also waiting on the new league media agreement.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Did anyone else just watch Cronin's press conference? Brutal. He sidestepped pretty much every question about Dame and looked like he would have rather been anywhere else. Very awkward.

I'm both excited for the future but really frustrated with the organization. Earlier in this thread, Phalanx made a comment about how Lillard never reaching the finals will be a stain on his legacy. I think most Blazer fans will look back at Lillard's tenure and be upset with the organization for constantly failing to surround him with a sensible & competent roster. These past couple years have been especially galling -- all this tanking and all these promises about "pushing in the chips" to finally give him help, and.... basically nothing. Then you cap it all off by using the No. 3 pick to draft a guy who plays Dame's same position. I do think Scoot was the right move at no. 3, but, big picture, it's criminal how the franchise just completely failed one of its best all-time players.

Clearly, Cronin did his best to give Dame some help. I'm sure he'll keep trying over the next couple weeks. It just seems increasingly obvious though that he's in over his head and probably isn't capable of executing a big move.

During his presser, Cronin declared that he still wants Dame to retire as a Blazer, but when asked how Dame & Scoot could co-exist on the floor he all but shrugged and said "I dunno!" Then he rambled about how it's up to Chauncy to figure it out. (At this point, I really feel bad for Chauncy. By all accounts, he had tons of promise as a coach, but each year his rosters seem to get progressively more flawed.)

Interesting times. I'm very curious to see if Cronin makes any kind of move -- anything at all -- that might make our roster make sense without anyone needing to leave or be traded.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Yes, literally the first words out of his mouth after describing the 3 draft picks was to bring up the challenges of roster building under the new cba.

There was a report he tried to move #3+Ant for Bridges and the Nets wouldn't move. There comes a point where you don't make bad moves, you take BPA (as he said) and then go from there. Dame will take up 1/3 of the Cap the following year, the only way he wins under a Trustee is with a bunch of rookies.

If you want to be mad, be mad at Jodi for not selling to Phil so he could pay into the luxury tax to build a team around Dame. Any GM who has his hands tied in that regard can't be faulted for not building an instant winner around Lillard.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Not mad, just disappointed.

Actually, screw that, I'm definitely mad at Jodi. Everything would be better for everyone if she'd just sell her dead brother's team like he would have wanted her to.

Even if the Blazers go young, does anyone here really trust Jody/Cronin to handle this correctly? Cronin has made one good trade since taking over... otherwise he's pretty much been fleeced.

It's just a shame that Jodi isn't selling.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Blazers drafted well and didn’t force any bad trades. Hopefully they can find a deal for anfernee simons. If not then the Blazers will be destined for the lottery again and would probably need move Lillard.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Why yes, I did watch the presser. Some highlights:

* Cronin is incredibly excited to have Scoot Henderson come to Portland. Doesn't sound like a trade is forthcoming to me. Says Scoot is a better player than anyone who might have come in the big deal some fans were looking for.

* Highlighted the need for 'value' rookie-scale contracts for more financial flexibility and depth-building. He mentioned it several times for emphasis. Should sound familiar if you read this thread. So maybe not bananas after all.

*The two later picks are both defensive-minded players that fit the direction the Blazers are trying to go. It really sounds like both guys were high on the Blazers's list, and they are pretty happy both players fell to them.

* Drafted the best player possible, despite all the dollars already devoted to guards. Cronin says they'll have to figure it out. Mentioned Shaedon and Scoot a few times in a way that made me think his focus will be shifting to them soon.

*Hadn't spoken to Lillard since Tuesday, at which time he mentioned it looked like they were going to use the picks.

*Mentioned that there were still the trade market and free-agency to go as opportunities to add veterans. Said that a number of the trades he discussed with other teams were not draft-related and can be revisited in the coming months.

I absolutely love what Cronin did here. I am not a talent scout, but it really seems like he got good value for where he was picking. His tone seemed hesitant where Lillard was concerned, but he seemed pretty confident about what he did tonight, and he thinks Lillard will hang in there.

Sometimes it is fun to watch players get their comeuppance. Lillard has been issuing veiled threats for several years now, even to the point of delaying signing that ridiculous extension until he got assurances that they would bring in players he liked better. Of course, they did that, giving away a first-round pick to acquire Jerami Grant, and the result was worse than ever. Tonight, Lillard lost a good deal of his leverage. If he leaves now, they have a guy who can slide right in to his spot. So now, Lillard can either throw a tantrum and demand a trade, or get with the program. No more team running scared and feeling like they have to placate Lillard's every whim to keep him here. That's what that #3 lottery ball did.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Duck07 wrote:Yes, literally the first words out of his mouth after describing the 3 draft picks was to bring up the challenges of roster building under the new cba.

There was a report he tried to move #3+Ant for Bridges and the Nets wouldn't move. There comes a point where you don't make bad moves, you take BPA (as he said) and then go from there. Dame will take up 1/3 of the Cap the following year, the only way he wins under a Trustee is with a bunch of rookies.

If you want to be mad, be mad at Jodi for not selling to Phil so he could pay into the luxury tax to build a team around Dame. Any GM who has his hands tied in that regard can't be faulted for not building an instant winner around Lillard.
Totally agree! Ownership is the root of the team's problems!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Interesting rumor, f the Blazers tried to trade for Paul, and the clippers asked four the 3, Sharp and ant. Makes sense why they don’t make any trades, if teams are asking a kings ransom for guys past their prime.