Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

We really blaming Scoot when this is his Head Coach?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

We really blaming Scoot when this is his Head Coach?
Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming Scoot nor have I given up on him. But I'm also not kidding myself into thinking the Blazers should be trying to win while trying to develop him. Also think he's clearly losing the audition for the starting role to Anfernee Simons, which I honestly did not see coming. Either one of those guys will need to go or one will need to be sixth man -- at at this point, that would clearly be Scoot. There would be no shame in that, in my opinion... someone with his energy and defensive potential could be a great 6th man in this league.

Blazers need at least one more draft to find a stud frontcourt player to develop alongside our eventual two starting guards. We can't settle for more three-guard BS, that just won't cut it. Until we get real frontcourt talent winning shouldn't be on our minds.

I say let Billups ride out his contract or maybe fire him and hire an interim from within. In one or two years -- once we acquire a desirable frontcourt asset -- then make the permanent coaching hire and let him RUN with zero need for tanking/drafting. Create a fresh start, a clean break, etc. from the Tanking Era of Blazer history. And by then we'll have our guard situation sorted as well.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Scoot shooting 11 of 31 vs. Phoenix. Yeesh. Terrible shooter, but at least he turns it over a lot.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

How’s this next draft class look?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:How’s this next draft class look?
I think there are some quality Forwards and Centers they can focus on that should be high level starters. Most don't think it's an amazing draft for sheer talent but I think it might also be a draft where the floor of those lotto picks is fairly high and they'll fit well with the long term group.

Colorado's Cody Williams to Matas Buzelis are 2 different SFs they could target and the Warriors pick could be interesting in where it could land but then I'd look at PF or C and taking a swing on a potential 2-way guy then an established 1-dimensional big.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Admittedly I haven't watched much this season, but I'm confused why Reath isn't starting at PF along side Ayton. Offensively he provides everything that is expected from a PF these days. Defensively he's a little slow footed, but not so bad that he's getting beat regularly.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

squintsdd wrote:Admittedly I haven't watched much this season, but I'm confused why Reath isn't starting at PF along side Ayton. Offensively he provides everything that is expected from a PF these days. Defensively he's a little slow footed, but not so bad that he's getting beat regularly.
Jabari Walker is the guy who needs to be the starting PF the rest of the season. I'm not sure he's the long-term PF, but he's showing himself in year 2 to be at minimum a future solid rotation level Forward and deserves 30 minutes a night on this team so the team knows exactly who he is.

Reath just doesn't match up very well against most other PF's and playing him at the 4 negates his ability to bring the opponents Center out as you'll still have another big inside clogging up the lane. I do like him though as a project backup Center since Ayton is still TBD on this team and likely isn't being traded this deadline.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Duck07 wrote:
squintsdd wrote:Admittedly I haven't watched much this season, but I'm confused why Reath isn't starting at PF along side Ayton. Offensively he provides everything that is expected from a PF these days. Defensively he's a little slow footed, but not so bad that he's getting beat regularly.
Jabari Walker is the guy who needs to be the starting PF the rest of the season. I'm not sure he's the long-term PF, but he's showing himself in year 2 to be at minimum a future solid rotation level Forward and deserves 30 minutes a night on this team so the team knows exactly who he is.

Reath just doesn't match up very well against most other PF's and playing him at the 4 negates his ability to bring the opponents Center out as you'll still have another big inside clogging up the lane. I do like him though as a project backup Center since Ayton is still TBD on this team and likely isn't being traded this deadline.
That makes sense. I just figured that his offensive tools negate what he's lacking in the defensive end. Walker has always struck me as a hustle/ energy guy, but lacks the actual talent to be more than reserve that gets decent minutes.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Walker is a skilled guy. Lacks athleticism. A guy every 24 Hour Fitness hero can look up to.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Tonight's win was more what I was expecting the team to be like at the start of the season after the Lillard trade: the veterans leading the charge, Ayton 18 pts, 17 rebounds, Brogdon leading the offense, Grant getting 20 and Simons scoring in the 30s, with some contribution from the younger players. If they followed this formula more, their record would be a lot better, but injuries have really forced a lot of funky lineups.

Nice win. Please don't trade Brogdon.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Very satisfying win vs. Lillard and the Bucks last night. Like I said at the beginning of the season, the Blazers actually have a decent team if everyone is healthy (and interested in trying). They picked a great game to get motivated. The lack of defense we saw from Lillard for 11 years was on full display last night, and the Blazers made them pay. I mean more than the $216 million over four years they are already paying.

Lillard got a huge ovation and talked about coming back to Portland to end his career. Hasn't he taken Portland for enough millions without ever producing meaningful success? He ruined Portland's chances at being competitive for a decade. Not sure why people don't get this, even while we are in the midst of Portland's third straight season as the division doormat. I'm glad everyone is getting along, blah blah blah, but please just go away, Dame. You were nothing but poison for my favorite team.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

What I thought was hilarious about last night was they just threw Camara Thybulle and Grant at him and his efficiency went to crap.

It also helps that Ayton has started playing more consistently as the team can't get buy without someone who can score inside and he's kept his hands ready. Credit guys like Simons who set him up in transition for running the court/hustling. A few times he caught a pass in a great spot for the finish and it helps the offense stay balanced.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:53 pm I wasn't thrilled on Scoot during the draft... a small guard who can't shoot isn't exactly today's prototype all-star. But man, he's been worse than I imagined. He's had a few good games, but most of the time... yikes.

I don't think the Blazers should be in any rush to try to win more games. The roster is still woefully incomplete. Still too many guards and not enough high-ceiling frontcourt talent. Too few scorers. Only a couple of real shooters. No coach could win with this roster.

I don't think Billups is the answer but I think the Blazers should wait until the end of his contract to replace him. I don't want a new coach coming in and having to suffer the same kind of PR nightmare that Billups has had to endure.

Hmm. Or Scoot is really good, but billions is just a terrible coach.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Or Billups is actually a somewhat decent coach and that is why Scoot and the team is improving.

Either way, you've proven my point. The noise is going to matter significantly more than the substance in deciding Billups' future here. Next coach needs a clean start with a completed roster to avoid another circus.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:00 pm
Or Billups is actually a somewhat decent coach and that is why Scoot and the team is improving.

Either way, you've proven my point. The noise is going to matter significantly more than the substance in deciding Billups' future here. Next coach needs a clean start with a completed roster to avoid another circus.

Chauncey is trash. Was never qualified to be a HC, but no one else wanted the gig. Not sure how I proved your point, all you’ve done since page one is rip Scoot.