Saturday August 26:
Navy @ Notre Dame
UTEP @ Jacksonville State
UMass @ New Mexico State
Ohio @ San Diego State
Hawai'i @ Vanderbilt
San José State @ USC
Florida International @ Louisiana Tech

2 weeks away. Nothing special, but will be nice to watch some football finally.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
gogreen55
Senior

Re: College football opening weekend

Post by gogreen55 »

I can only pretend to be interested in 2 of those games.

Go Navy! 20 point underdog.

Go San Jose State! 30.5 point underdog.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

gogreen55 wrote:I can only pretend to be interested in 2 of those games.

Go Navy! 20 point underdog.

Go San Jose State! 30.5 point underdog.
Same for me. It'll just be nice to have some football playing in the background again. 10 days...

bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Gotta be interested in SDSU as a future Pac member.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I know UW isn't playing opening week, but they lost their starting RB (Cameron Davis) for the year. Ouch..

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

USC and San Jose State tied at 7 in the 2nd quarter. USC’S D not looking super hot the drive I watched.

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

USC's offensive line looks very shaky. Caleb Williams is definitely still awesome though.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Statistically, on offense San Jose State and USC have similar numbers.

USC has a few more yards but SJSU has 2 more first downs.

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Zachariah Branch looks like he might be a problem. 7th-ranked player in the 2023 class, just ran a sick kickoff back. Dude's got obvious juice.

USC does definitely look beatable though. Defense doesn't look as improved as they must've hoped it'd be and their o-line let Caleb get hit a lot tonight.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Tray Dub wrote:Zachariah Branch looks like he might be a problem. 7th-ranked player in the 2023 class, just ran a sick kickoff back. Dude's got obvious juice.

USC does definitely look beatable though. Defense doesn't look as improved as they must've hoped it'd be and their o-line let Caleb get hit a lot tonight.
Yeah it’s gonna suck matching up against him the next few years. He reminded me of DAT on that kickoff return, he’s just on another level.

USC offense looking really good in the second half, they have a ton of weapons and speed. Only way Oregon could beat them is if they play a mistake free game and outscore them, I don’t see the Oregon defense getting many stops against USC.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Hawaii coming back against Vandy right now.

Still down 35-28 but 4 minutes left. Their QB has an arm.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:.

USC offense looking really good in the second half, they have a ton of weapons and speed. Only way Oregon could beat them is if they play a mistake free game and outscore them, I don’t see the Oregon defense getting many stops against USC.
What actually impressed you about USC though? Yes, Caleb Williams is a great player and they've got some more talented skill players out wide, but thats it. I saw a team who relied so much on those skill players that they essentially became pretty easy to figure out. They abandoned the middle of the field in order to simply get the ball into space against over-matched players for San Jose. We absolutely will not be running out a defense with players who are over-matched in the Back 7 by USC and our Front 4 will be a terror to that garbage OL.

I didn't see an OL that will handle a pass rush or be able to run the ball effectively. In fact, their running game looked pathetic from the OL as a lot of those runs were just simply "we're more talented in the open field" type of runs rather than a pulling Guard opening a lane to run behind or getting a double-team before going 2nd level and looking like brutes inside.

Geoff Schwartz brought up yesterday how the new clock rules in college are going to shorten games, especially for teams that run the ball.

I honestly watched that USC team last night and thought, how the F are they going to stop us in November inside Autzen? The 1st half of their season will go just fine, but once that stretch of at Notre Dame, vs Utah, at 2nd Bye(Cal), vs UW, at Oregon and vs UCLA happens, they'll fall into 2nd place in the South if they don't beat Utah and UCLA.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

SC will have a very hard time beating UU, UW and UO. They still aren’t physical enough to deal with Utah or UO, and their D is horrible. UW will throw for 500 yards on them. I’m betting we go for 300 yards on the ground, and Caleb isn’t fast enough to buy time when the pocket collapses vs either of UU or UO.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

The USC game may play out like last year's game against UCLA. An undefeated team from LA with a high-powered offense comes into town with lots of hype, but Oregon gets some stops and they don't, and its 31-13 at the half.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

If you look at the stats it was a much closer game. If I'm a USC (university of spoiled children) I wouldn't say it was a good start to the year other than the score