UW @ USC (4:30 pm, ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

UW @ USC (4:30 pm, ABC)

Post by Greenblood »

I believe UW will win this game, but I'll be following my usual instincts and root for them to lose. Now, I think I know the common objections to this in the current context: "No, we must suppress those normal Duck instincts and root for UW to win the rest of their scheduled games so that UW will be as highly rated as possible when -- assuming the Ducks do the same -- they meet in Las Vegas, giving the Ducks the best possible chance to make the CFP."

But I'm not buying that reasoning, at least not for this game. I think what we want is as many of this year's Duck opponents ranked as possible. If UW beats USC, quite possibly USC is out of the next CFP poll, and then assuming the Ducks beat them the next week at Autzen (which of course "must" happen from our perspective), the Trojans will almost assuredly be shut out of the final CFP poll, having at least four losses. But if USC can knock off UW Saturday evening, they'll likely rise in the poll about as much as UW would drop, essentially making it a wash as far as Ducks' opponents' rankings go. So then we'd likely have the opportunity to beat another fairly highly ranked USC team the next week, and it's quite possible USC would still remain ranked even with a loss to the Ducks and possibly in the final CFP poll.

Yes, I want UW to taste defeat as soon as possible.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: UW @ USC (4:30 pm, ABC)

Post by StevensTechU »

If USC can protect Caleb, I think it becomes a who-scores-last game.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Classic Big 12 shootout Lincoln is used to. 62-56 SC. UW fans will blame the flu or Covid or something.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I’ve got SC in this one
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

UofDuck wrote:I’ve got SC in this one
Me too. I thing he still has a slight case of the yips left over from Oregon pounding his ass. :lol:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I still have to go with Washington. When I look at both teams I ask myself which defense has a better chance at getting a few stops, and due to Caleb Williams over-improvising and USC having probably the worst defense amongst P5 teams I just think Washington will get enough stops. Only reason I’m thinking USC may win is because USC has the worst rush defense in FBS and while their passing defense is bad, it’s not as bad as their run defense and Washington will try to pass it all over USC so maybe USC gets a few picks off of Penix who has looked very pedestrian since Oregon beat him up.

I’ll be rooting for Washington though, I want an undefeated Washington and 1 loss Oregon to meet up in Vegas.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Southern Cal will probably deflate their balls again
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I still have to go with Washington. When I look at both teams I ask myself which defense has a better chance at getting a few stops, and due to Caleb Williams over-improvising and USC having probably the worst defense amongst P5 teams I just think Washington will get enough stops. Only reason I’m thinking USC may win is because USC has the worst rush defense in FBS and while their passing defense is bad, it’s not as bad as their run defense and Washington will try to pass it all over USC so maybe USC gets a few picks off of Penix who has looked very pedestrian since Oregon beat him up.

I’ll be rooting for Washington though, I want an undefeated Washington and 1 loss Oregon to meet up in Vegas.

One D held Stanford the other allowed it to look like a good offense.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

It depends which UW team shows up. If they play the way they have the past two weeks I think it'll go down to the wire. But if they get their mojo back, I like UW to win.

I want UW to be undefeated and for us to run the table so we can get revenge in a rematch. If we beat them in the Pac-12 championship game, it would not only be revenge game, but it would also cost UW a playoff spot AND the conference championship.

THAT would be some awesome revenge!! :-)
John 3:36