USC @ #6 Oregon (Nov. 11, Sat 7:30 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: USC @ #6 Oregon (Nov. 11, Sat 7:30 PM Fox)

Post by ducks5ever »

mrpd21 wrote:Camden has been wildly inconsistent compared to last year
He won us the Texas Tech game but it's been downhill from there.

So many kicks out of bounds (giving up free yardage)
Missed FG's

But thats the least of our problems. The offense is having so many procedural issues. I hope tonight was just an anomaly. So many false start/holding/illegal formation penalties (mostly by Steven Jones | c'mon man) and just bad snaps that are very uncharacteristic of JPJ.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Post-Game Thoughts:

- The defense was lights out! That's about as good as it gets against a Caleb Williams-led offense. Take away that terrible PI on USC's 4thQ drive on 4th down and the score looks much different. I thought they made Caleb uncomfortable all night long and each scoring drive felt like a Herculean effort for the Trojans that didn't feel sustainable.

- Overall, weird game. Total P12 After Dark vibes. Dropped passes. Troy trips over himself in the open field. Bad snaps. Bo nearly fumbles the snap in his own endzone. Missed FGs. Felt like a game Oregon teams of past would have found a way to lose.

- Penalties ... again! We're seeing some really basic stuff the Ducks are having trouble with (at home!). The false starts need to stop. Tonight marked the second straight game where a snap was fumbled. Even if you take away the last holding call and the above mentioned PI, still an incredibly sloppy performance from the Ducks tonight. I'll never complain about a win but Coach Lanning will have plenty to teach on this week.

- Speaking of Coach ... stop chasing points, bro. It cost us the UW game and kept the score a 2-score, instead of a 3-score, game the entire night. SC is not the team you go for 2 against. You've got a great offense and an improving defense, you don't need it. Just take the PAT and know that USC can't keep up. But because he chased points early, it was a game late when it had no business being.

- Great night for Bo and the offense. Bucky was phenomenal and JJ spelled him when needed. The OL was sensational in pass protection. The WRs racked up that YAC and set the tone early.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Just got back from the game, too many drunk idiots at night games. Had two fights near me (both between duck fans) and fans yelling obnoxious insults at Caleb Williams all game which was stupid cause Caleb is the real deal, that dude has an insane level of talent.

Three thoughts:

1) Caleb Williams is that good. Bo is great and we all love him but to me there was a clear talent advantage for USC at the QB position, and that’s not meant to criticize Bo who had a great game but praise Caleb Williams. He is so annoying for opposing fans, his ability to sense pressure and throw on the run is incredible. He will have a great career in the NFL.

2) Our offense needs to go back to 101 this week in practice. The sloppy play especially from the line will keep this team from getting revenge on the Huskies. On multiple occasions we could’ve ended the game early but something from the offense allowed USC to stay in it, whether it was 2 point conversions (first one was meh, second one wasn’t so smart), bad snap, holding or procedure penalties on the OLine, or Camden just in his own damn head. I don’t know what’s going on but feels like last year when the offense got way sloppier in November, but this year we have the defense that they can get away with it in most games.

3) The defense played lights out. Yeah they gave up points in the 4th with backups in the secondary and typical PAC-12 refs wanting to keep the game alive, but I thought they played maybe their best game of the year overall considering the injuries. USC’s touchdowns were all hard earned and Caleb making huge plays, nothing was easy for them all game long. Credit to the defense, even with all the yards the offense put up I felt the defense overall outshined the offense.

Final thought, can’t wait for B1G refs.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Any win against USC is a great game. I expected the Oregon secondary to have difficulty with the USC passing game, and they did give up over 300 yards passing, but I think the numbers were affected by things like that terrible PI call, as well as the offense scoring so quickly on those long plays, leaving the defense on the field longer. The third quarter was the money period, and Oregon's D rose up and took care of business. A lot of picking on Trikweze late: here's hoping the starters get back soon.

Oregon got some help in the SOS today as both Texas Tech and Hawaii took out teams with much better records. Every little bit helps.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Post-Game Thoughts:

- The defense was lights out! That's about as good as it gets against a Caleb Williams-led offense. Take away that terrible PI on USC's 4thQ drive on 4th down and the score looks much different. I thought they made Caleb uncomfortable all night long and each scoring drive felt like a Herculean effort for the Trojans that didn't feel sustainable.

- Overall, weird game. Total P12 After Dark vibes. Dropped passes. Troy trips over himself in the open field. Bad snaps. Bo nearly fumbles the snap in his own endzone. Missed FGs. Felt like a game Oregon teams of past would have found a way to lose.

- Penalties ... again! We're seeing some really basic stuff the Ducks are having trouble with (at home!). The false starts need to stop. Tonight marked the second straight game where a snap was fumbled. Even if you take away the last holding call and the above mentioned PI, still an incredibly sloppy performance from the Ducks tonight. I'll never complain about a win but Coach Lanning will have plenty to teach on this week.

- Speaking of Coach ... stop chasing points, bro. It cost us the UW game and kept the score a 2-score, instead of a 3-score, game the entire night. SC is not the team you go for 2 against. You've got a great offense and an improving defense, you don't need it. Just take the PAT and know that USC can't keep up. But because he chased points early, it was a game late when it had no business being.

- Great night for Bo and the offense. Bucky was phenomenal and JJ spelled him when needed. The OL was sensational in pass protection. The WRs racked up that YAC and set the tone early.

Chasing points might be what it appears he’s doing. But maybe he just thinks Lewis sucks, and doesn’t trust he can make every FG?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:

Chasing points might be what it appears he’s doing. But maybe he just thinks Lewis sucks, and doesn’t trust he can make every FG?
If Lanning didn’t trust Camden then he wouldn’t send him out there for a crucial 41 yard field goal to put the Ducks up 3 scores.

Speaking of that field goal, it wasn’t just that Camden missed it, but how he missed it, that was an awful kick and nowhere close, something is seriously wrong with him.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

OregonFan4Life wrote: 1) Caleb Williams is that good. Bo is great and we all love him but to me there was a clear talent advantage for USC at the QB position, and that’s not meant to criticize Bo who had a great game but praise Caleb Williams. He is so annoying for opposing fans, his ability to sense pressure and throw on the run is incredible. He will have a great career in the NFL.
I don't know what people mean by 'talent at the QB position', but I do know Bo cleaned Caleb's clock tonight. Completion %, yards per attempt...all the numbers by which one might measure an efficient performance were HEAVILY in Bo's favor. I will take that level of actual effectiveness over a guy who makes a few flashy plays. Caleb disappeared in the 3rd quarter when the outcome of the game was being decided. The rest is just fluff.
Last edited by Phalanx on Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Caleb Williams is that good. Bo is great and we all love him but to me there was a clear talent advantage for USC at the QB position, and that’s not meant to criticize Bo who had a great game but praise Caleb Williams. He is so annoying for opposing fans, his ability to sense pressure and throw on the run is incredible. He will have a great career in the NFL.

I don't know what game you watched buddy, but Bo Nix will be a really good QB in the pro's. He is great at everything about the position. Williams is a warrior, no doubt, but to say he was clearly more talented that Bo makes me think that drunk posting isn't a good thing.

Another thing. The phrase played with their hair on fire is used a lot but this defense brings that every single play. It's a shame that a lot of people surrounding Bo had sub par games, especially the vaunted O line.

Go DUCKS!!!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Bo had 412 yards and would have been around 480 if Troy doesn’t trip, and Rez didn’t drop two perfect passes.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Another good game, but with some issues.

First gotta say that Caleb is a beast, and it's amazing he's able to make some of those throws despite running for his life all night. Props to the defense for putting him in those situations and getting enough stops to pull away.

Bo was exceptional and definitely put up Heisman numbers.

Weird drops by our receivers tonight and was it three fumbles? Glad we got that out of our systems in this game and not on a larger stage.

I'm officially worried about Camden Lewis. I'm not sure we should feel good about him kicking FGs from more than 30 yards out at this point. Hopefully he can get his head on straight because we're going to need him down the stretch of the season.

Also scary to see the injury bug pop up a bit. Glad that Bucky and JPJ came back, but worried about Florence and Jackson. We shouldn't need them against ASU but I'll be a bit worried if they're not back for the Civil War.

That said, I want to give props to Trikweze Bridges. I thought he played great. He got picked on down the stretch, but most of the time he was playing about as good/tight of defense as anyone could ask. Williams just made perfect throws and his receivers made great catches.

Several little things broke for Oregon yesterday. Texas, again, looked extremely mortal. Oklahoma State got trounced by an unranked team to weaken the Big 12 schedule. Also Texas Tech won, further diminishing the B12 while also giving us a boost. Oregon State won BIG, so if they lose to Washington they'll still be up there in the polls for the Civil War. (I think they'll beat Washington.)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:
Caleb Williams is that good. Bo is great and we all love him but to me there was a clear talent advantage for USC at the QB position, and that’s not meant to criticize Bo who had a great game but praise Caleb Williams. He is so annoying for opposing fans, his ability to sense pressure and throw on the run is incredible. He will have a great career in the NFL.
I don't know what game you watched buddy, but Bo Nix will be a really good QB in the pro's. He is great at everything about the position. Williams is a warrior, no doubt, but to say he was clearly more talented that Bo makes me think that drunk posting isn't a good thing.
To be clear, this is not a hate on Bo reply but... it's not even close to compare the two of them and there is an extreme amount of ignorance when it comes to our offensive system, what it does for the QB and how that translates to the NFL, to say nothing of the advantage of our Run game and the sheer lack of pressure he's faced the last 2 years because of the OL/System. He's got a really high completion percentage throwing short routes and that's not a selling point for NFL scouts at all. Its also what will lead to the same issues with Penix as each of them will have to make major adjustments to their games (as old QBs) but Penix has far better arm strength and touch.

Our biggest frustrations on offense the last 2 years are primarily a result of Nix's inability to cycle through his reads and focus on his first 1-2 while not letting his routes develop and abandoning a clean pocket. He makes better reads at UW on so many of those crucial downs and we win.

Frankly I think teams are going to scout Nix and see Drew Lock but being a backup caliber QB is still a pretty kush job and one that he can be a high-level backup at. If he can develop into a starting level QB in the NFL, that would be a fantastic but I don't see that projection.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:

They were PAT attempts he passed on, which I felt was unnecessary.

I do think there is something going on in the kicking game and he is trying to boost Lewis' confidence back up after the Washington game (Lewis did go 1/2 on the day). We probably will become more aggressive going for it on 4th in opponent territory, which is fine, as Lewis' comfort zone seems to be 30 yards and in.
OregonDucks
One Star Recruit

Post by OregonDucks »

Duck07 wrote:
nogerO wrote:
To be clear, this is not a hate on Bo reply but... it's not even close to compare the two of them and there is an extreme amount of ignorance when it comes to our offensive system, what it does for the QB and how that translates to the NFL, to say nothing of the advantage of our Run game and the sheer lack of pressure he's faced the last 2 years because of the OL/System. He's got a really high completion percentage throwing short routes and that's not a selling point for NFL scouts at all. Its also what will lead to the same issues with Penix as each of them will have to make major adjustments to their games (as old QBs) but Penix has far better arm strength and touch.

Our biggest frustrations on offense the last 2 years are primarily a result of Nix's inability to cycle through his reads and focus on his first 1-2 while not letting his routes develop and abandoning a clean pocket. He makes better reads at UW on so many of those crucial downs and we win.

Frankly I think teams are going to scout Nix and see Drew Lock but being a backup caliber QB is still a pretty kush job and one that he can be a high-level backup at. If he can develop into a starting level QB in the NFL, that would be a fantastic but I don't see that projection.
I disagree with everything that you wrote about Bo Nix.

With the exception of the deep balls, Nix is completing a high percentage of his short and intermediate passes. He is recognizing defenses pre-snap and knows how to counter. With the exception of a few plays, he goes through his progressions and does not hesitate to check down.

Bo is playing at an extremely high level and has everything you need to succeed in the NFL, if he finds a team that surrounds him with talent. Caleb is a terrific talent and probably can make more happen. However, if you put Bo on a team like the Niners, I have no doubt that he would find success.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

If you put Bo on the Niners...that is actually the worst way to suggest he's a starting caliber NFL QB.