2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: Chip Kelly to Ohio State?

Post by Everythingsducky »

greenyellow wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:14 pm He's gone to Ohio State now. He'll likely be happier and more successful there than he would have been at UCLA.
Wow.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Everythingsducky wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:16 pm
greenyellow wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:54 am Looks like there are rumors that Chip Kelly may take the OC role at Ohio State. Hard to see him just being a college OC but he may be so over being a college HC that reducing his workload to only OC under a former QB of his like Ryan Day is a real potential.
He would still need to recruit, which is not his fave thing to do. I would be surprised if he doesn't end up in the NFL.
I'm sure his end goal is to end up in the NFL, but I suspect Day told him that he wouldn't need to recruit, and that was probably a big reason he chose to make the move.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: 2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Interesting, I'm sure he knew he'd struggle in the Big Ten too.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Bill O'Brien is now Boston College's new HC.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

So did Ohio State have to pay a buyout to UCLA??? Crazy times we live in.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:So did Ohio State have to pay a buyout to UCLA??? Crazy times we live in.
Wealthy alums from UCLA disliked Chip so much they probably paid it to get him out.

Actually I have no idea. Just know he was not a fan favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Everythingsducky wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:16 pm
greenyellow wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:54 am Looks like there are rumors that Chip Kelly may take the OC role at Ohio State. Hard to see him just being a college OC but he may be so over being a college HC that reducing his workload to only OC under a former QB of his like Ryan Day is a real potential.
He would still need to recruit, which is not his fave thing to do. I would be surprised if he doesn't end up in the NFL.
The Ohio state name recruits for itself. Chip probably left ucla because it's much harder to recruit there, and because he likely won't be asked to do much recruiting at Ohio State. Also, I imagine this won't be his last stop. CK wants back into the NFL, and this will get him there much easier
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DeBoer already losing Ryan Grubb and Scott Huff to the Seahawks.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I wonder who UCLA may go after as their new head coach? Someone mentioned that they'll likely have an interim coach from the current staff this year, which makes sense.

I suspect that they'll search for a PROVEN coach who can recruit well this time.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:35 am I wonder who UCLA may go after as their new head coach? Someone mentioned that they'll likely have an interim coach from the current staff this year, which makes sense.

I suspect that they'll search for a PROVEN coach who can recruit well this time.
They won't find a HC who can recruit because there are no wealthy UCLA alums who will pay into NIL. It wasn't just Chip who had the problems as they'd get the kids on campus and the next thing they want to know is what NIL package they can get.

That means building your program with 2 & 3 * level recruits and that just isn't sustainable at this level.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

They would only compound their problems by getting an interim coach. No recruit is going to commit based on that.

They need to find someone and give him the reins to build because it's a five year deal at best.

squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

lmduck wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:12 am They would only compound their problems by getting an interim coach. No recruit is going to commit based on that.

They need to find someone and give him the reins to build because it's a five year deal at best.

Their recruiting class, was ranked down in the 80s if i remember right, and would already be dead last in the B1G. Making another bad hire out of desperation would be far worse than going with an interim and trying to hit the coaching market early at the end of next season
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

squintsdd wrote:
lmduck wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:12 am They would only compound their problems by getting an interim coach. No recruit is going to commit based on that.

Their recruiting class, was ranked down in the 80s if i remember right, and would already be dead last in the B1G. Making another bad hire out of desperation would be far worse than going with an interim and trying to hit the coaching market early at the end of next season
Point taken. Just seems recruiting would fall even further if you don't know who you will be playing for

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Foster is probably the best choice for them to go with since he's an alumni
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lmduck wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:29 pm
DuckMastaFunk wrote:So did Ohio State have to pay a buyout to UCLA??? Crazy times we live in.
Wealthy alums from UCLA disliked Chip so much they probably paid it to get him out.

Actually I have no idea. Just know he was not a fan favorite

George Wrighster talked about it a lot on his pod. His father in law is a ucla alum and booster, and he said the alum didn’t like Chip at all. Most wanted him gone. He brought no energy or excitement to the school.