Civil War to continue? (EDIT: Civil War will continue)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Civil War to continue? (EDIT: Civil War will continue)

Post by pezsez1 »

They beat us a year ago without a QB. I don't know much about what's happening over there regarding transfers, but with Martinez in the fold and the right new pieces they could be competitive for the next couple years. The decline is inevitable (assuming they don't land a P4 invite within a few years) but not sure if it will be a cliff or a slope.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

buckmarkduck wrote:I don’t think it will be tough at all Pez. They will have no QB, and probably lose all their legit D1 guys. And that also why I don’t like the game. They are, for those not admitting it, now San Jose st level
If it’s an easy game, why do you care so much about it? Oregon will most likely be playing 2-3 top 10 teams every year so the SOS aspect doesn’t really matter.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:This makes conference realignment an even bigger win for us. Getting the marquee Big 10 matchups while still playing UW, USC, and now Oregon State is a pretty good trade in my book.

OS didn’t deserve it though. If they would just admit it’s their decades of bad leadership and bad marketing that lead to them being uninvited to a major conference. I might be ok with throwing them a bone here. But as long as they blame UO, they deserve nothing
They've been whiny and annoying for sure, but I would expect any fanbase to be in a similar situation. Like Pez said, the Civil War is fun. It's something to look forward to on the calendar. And with the 12-team playoff, playing a tougher game isn't as much of a detriment as it used to be. This is a good thing.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

We have too many people trying to big time OSU. Regional rivalries are what make college football fun. No need to turn our noses up at them, because the Ducks were fortunate enough to have Uncle Phil. Let's be honest. If he hadn't put the amount of resources into the school that he has, the Ducks would probably be in the same boat as OSU right now, because it would hardly be the brand it is today. OSU and WSU were ultimately hurt by the fact that they don't play in big media markets and don't have the same brand resonance as Oregon, and that's why no Power 5 conferences are interested in bringing them in. Do I think it's fun to chide OSU fans about being in the Mountain West? Absolutely, because it's a rivalry and that's part of the fun. However, I would still prefer to play them every year to have those bragging rights.

I see a lot of Duck fans suddenly wanting our school to be like the SEC schools that we mocked for years for being afraid to travel for games, or not playing any tough out of conference matchups because of perceived conference strength. TV networks and greed have largely destroyed a number of the great traditions that we have in college football and what makes it fun. Let's try to keep what little tradition we still have in tact. And yes, many of you would be acting the exact same way as OSU fans are if the roles were reversed. I am disgusted that some of you have actually made me stick up for OSU and their fans. I am going to go take a shower now and rinse off this dirty feeling.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I think it makes sense to keep the rivalry going. We should just play it at Autzen every year though.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I think it makes sense to keep the rivalry going. We should just play it at Autzen every year though.

I’d be ok with that. We are losing millions by going to Corvallis
ElPatoLoco
One Star Recruit

Post by ElPatoLoco »

It makes sense to me that we’d want to continue playing osu. It’s a road game every other year that’s only 30 minutes away. As a fan it’s better than watching San Jose at Autzen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I think it makes sense to keep the rivalry going. We should just play it at Autzen every year though.

Lol, it's just an outrageously unreasonable request to make, and absolutely no D1 school would agree to that. Are the Ducks just never going to play a non-conference road game? How are we coming up with millions lost by playing these games?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

droop10 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

Lol, it's just an outrageously unreasonable request to make, and absolutely no D1 school would agree to that. Are the Ducks just never going to play a non-conference road game? How are we coming up with millions lost by playing these games?
WSU agreed to play the next two in Seattle. It’s like some of you have had your heads in the sand while OS goes out and sues UO/UW, their president and AD trash UO, their fans attacking and blaming UO. We owe them nothing. Return OHSU, and maybe we can play nice.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

droop10 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

Last time Colorado played @ Colorado State was 1996.

Even doing every 3rd or 4th year in Corvallis would be better than doing home and home every time.

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Meanwhile there's me, wondering if our Ducks will ever schedule another non-former Pac-12 foe as a Power 4 home and home series someday...

You guys have no idea how much I've begged for an SEC team to visit Autzen again, after the 2013 Tennessee game.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

droop10 wrote:Lol, it's just an outrageously unreasonable request to make, and absolutely no D1 school would agree to that. Are the Ducks just never going to play a non-conference road game? How are we coming up with millions lost by playing these games?
Anyway I think if Oregon State was in another Big 4 conference, then you're right. But scheduling 2/3 home and 1 away is reasonable to do with the Beavers in their current state.

Also with Boise State, we have 2 homes and 1 away scheduled with them. I think

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
droop10 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

WSU agreed to play the next two in Seattle. It’s like some of you have had your heads in the sand while OS goes out and sues UO/UW, their president and AD trash UO, their fans attacking and blaming UO. We owe them nothing. Return OHSU, and maybe we can play nice.
Again, if the roles were reversed, Duck fans would be acting the same way. We got lucky that Phil Knight happened to attend our school. That's the primary difference between where the programs are at today. In fact, a number of us, including me, trashed USC and UCLA when they made the decision to head to the B1G. Yes, Oregon was forced down that road by the decision of those schools and others, but it's easy to see the perspective of the schools that got left out in the cold.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
droop10 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

WSU agreed to play at the Seahawks stadium in 2024. There’s no “neutral” stadium large enough in Oregon to accommodate the game.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
droop10 wrote:Lol, it's just an outrageously unreasonable request to make, and absolutely no D1 school would agree to that. Are the Ducks just never going to play a non-conference road game? How are we coming up with millions lost by playing these games?
Anyway I think if Oregon State was in another Big 4 conference, then you're right. But scheduling 2/3 home and 1 away is reasonable to do with the Beavers in their current state.

Also with Boise State, we have 2 homes and 1 away scheduled with them. I think
2/3 is different from demanding they play at Autzen every year. I still disagree with it, as I don't see the problem with alternating home games, but I'd be more open to that.

Regarding Colorado/Colorado St., yes there's been a few games mixed in at Boulder, but the majority of their games have been at a neutral site in Denver. That series went away for a couple years and just came back this year, but with the plan to be at campus sites going forward, and as home and homes. That said, they aren't going to be playing annually as they used to. In regards to Boise, I see that as a bit different than a rivalry series. I think people are too quick to dismiss the things that made college football unique and fun.