Pac-12 CG: #5 Oregon v #3 Washington (Dec. 1, Fri 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Re: Pac-12 CG: #5 Oregon v #3 Washington (Dec. 1, Fri 5 PM A

Post by shoparound »

We shouldn't have to rely on one possession for a win.
But that late possession where it was 3 straight handoffs straight to the middle of the box is haunting; particularly in the situation we were at in the game.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

It’s not bright if u can’t beat your rival (0-3). Getting Harbaugh’ish.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

Everythingsducky wrote:It’s not bright if u can’t beat your rival (0-3). Getting Harbaugh’ish.
Everything lined up perfectly for UW this year with the experience they have. Not always going to be this way. There will be ups and downs. If you can’t see that Oregon is going to be good for awhile, I feel sorry for you. Much more to life than college football and I’m saying that as a Duck fan in Seattle.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Phalanx... You nailed it. Fully agree

Go Ducks. Sad ending, but Lanning is building something special.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I do wonder about Will Stein, I also believe if Grubb and Stein were switched Ducks win by multiple TD’s.

Here’s some context though, we’re still better off as duck fans. We have a great recruiting class and Huskies have a bad one. Huskies are losing their best players Ducks will only get better. I don’t think Bo will be as big of a loss as some think, yes losing Dorlus, Burch, and Franklin are huge losses but I believe they’ll reload. Ducks have a bright future, and Lanning and Stein will grow, at least I hope. I’m still happy to be a ducks fan.
paduck
One Star Recruit

Post by paduck »

OrTDuck wrote:I'll say an inside kick in that spot (when it is expected and the kicking team is showing it) is a <5% chance.

Kick it in the end zone and to at least some degree the dynamic changes with Husky play calling backed up. To what degree is certainly up to debate.

The Ducks only need 3 to tie. Even if the Ducks get a stop and punt at midfield, they probably have to go a long way. It's much easier to call the 3rd down pass at midfield. If it isn't there you throw it in the stands and punt. Throw it in the stands and punt is tougher if you are kicking instead from the 30.

I'll agree it might not have made a difference but is was a very, very low % play. Don't take the low risk and you do get something IMO.
I completely disagree with this take. The Huskies recovered a not-good onside kick. They ran, as expected. They ran again, as expected. On 3rd and 4, they threw a little out route that most of us on the board could’ve completed because Evan Williams was playing soft coverage for reasons no one will ever understand. Later, they broke another third-down play for a big gain to finish the Ducks off. That happens whether from the 25 or midfield. Makes zero difference. You have to try for the ball when your defense is clearly outgunned, which we were all game. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the Huskies punted once?
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Their Oline and Dline completely dominated us today. UW has a fully healthy team, which we didn't face last game. Also, we loss many key players during and before this game. I feel if Burch and Jackson didn't get injured during this game, we win by a slight margin.

It sucks, but they were the better team on the field today. Hoping we continue to build more depth at positions so we don't continuously get f'ed over by the injury gods every time for big games.

Still waiting on the defense whisperer, Lanning, to build a competent defense and call plays like he did at Georgia.

Lastly, I'll be rooting for whichever team plays against UW in the CFP and wish them nothing but the worst in the CFP.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

paduck wrote:
OrTDuck wrote:I'll say an inside kick in that spot (when it is expected and the kicking team is showing it) is a <5% chance.

Kick it in the end zone and to at least some degree the dynamic changes with Husky play calling backed up. To what degree is certainly up to debate.

The Ducks only need 3 to tie. Even if the Ducks get a stop and punt at midfield, they probably have to go a long way. It's much easier to call the 3rd down pass at midfield. If it isn't there you throw it in the stands and punt. Throw it in the stands and punt is tougher if you are kicking instead from the 30.

I'll agree it might not have made a difference but is was a very, very low % play. Don't take the low risk and you do get something IMO.
I completely disagree with this take. The Huskies recovered a not-good onside kick. They ran, as expected. They ran again, as expected. On 3rd and 4, they threw a little out route that most of us on the board could’ve completed because Evan Williams was playing soft coverage for reasons no one will ever understand. Later, they broke another third-down play for a big gain to finish the Ducks off. That happens whether from the 25 or midfield. Makes zero difference. You have to try for the ball when your defense is clearly outgunned, which we were all game. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the Huskies punted once?
I can agree it ultimately probably made little difference.

However, not stopping the run and playing soft coverage at the wrong time are player execution issues.

In regards to the decision, all a coach can do is put their team in the best possible situation to succeed. I'll still argue making "the stop" at midfield is a bit more difficult than from the 25; and, the small benefit is > the tiny chance that inside kick is successful in that spot. It's cool others don't agree. If the Ducks do execute and get a stop at the 33 and a Husky punt, an added benefit is they probably are not backed up near their end zone to try and drive for the tie.
Last edited by OrTDuck on Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Everythingsducky
Senior

What sucks the most, is they got stone cold punked. Out-physicaled, out-played on both lines of scrimmage. Supposed to be our strength. Most disappointing.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Crazy how UW looked awful against every other team this year but somehow looked like an unstoppable force once they saw Oregon. Lanning and the staff need to figure out how to play in big games as they're now 0-5 in them.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Everythingsducky
Senior

Happy for a New Years (hopefully) bowl. Waiting to see if half the team decides to participate.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

In the middle of all this, I guess it could be the end of the Bo Nix era here in Oregon.
Crazy how amazing the two years were but no rose bowl or playoff to come out of it.
I'm sure we all thought there was a good chance for two more games after this... Brutal
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

This might (MIGHT!) have been the best Ducks team ever. It’s a real shame this is where the story ends.

But… there’s a whole lot to look forward to next year. We get a bunch of big in-season games, and, next year, and most years after, it’s fair to expect we finish ranked high enough to land in the playoffs. I’ll be so glad when a loss like this no longer erases a season full of magic.

Lastly, young coaches should keep getting better with experience, right? These guys are still figuring it out. Room to grow and a track record that says they will.

Go Ducks. Deep sigh…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk