Nick Saban Retiring Edit: Lanning - "I'm not leaving."

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Re: Nick Saban Retiring

Post by spacefrog13x »

Lanning supposedly also has a large buyout on his separate Nike contract as well, couple insiders have mentioned his total buyout package would be close to 50 million.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

TheDrake wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:100% opinions but here are some thoughts:

1. I don't think Lanning has that strong of a personal connection with Alabama. Yes, he was a GA there, but the Alabama program has had hundreds of GA's/analysts roll through there in the last 15 years when Alabama started winning championships. (why not go for someone like Dabo Swinney who actually played for Alabama and has already won multiple championships)

2. Would Alabama trust a HC with 2 years of experience to run their program? I don't mean to knock coach Lanning as I fully believe he's capable of bringing home a championship, but this is still a question worth asking. How many top 25 wins does coach Lanning have as a HC? [answer is 2 - vs Utah last year and vs Temple this year]

3. Does Coach Lanning want to handle the stress that comes with a bigger paycheck down in Alabama? They haven't won a championship since 2020, and the fan base is hungry as usual.

I hope I don't have to eat these words but I'm not that concerned about this.

TEMPLE??????
sorry I meant Liberty
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Now were gonna get the Chip was seen on oregons
campus,uncle Phil's plane was seen at the airport in Eugene.

All the while I doubt Lanning is going anywhere. My guess
Is Norval but who knows.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Even though his retirement caught people off-guard, it sounds like this will be over by the end of the week.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I have 0 sources and don’t buy any of the rumors, including the dude on KVAL saying Lanning is in Tuscaloosa now.

BUT, I do personally think Lanning is gone. I felt since he got here he’d only leave Oregon for Bama or Georgia or maybe eventually the NFL, and here we are. I don’t think anybody, including Mullens, thought Saban would retire this quickly. Lanning wants to win a national championship and with the resources Bama has its way easier to win a national championship there. I’m sure Lanning 100% believes he can do what Saban did there with the right coaching hires and recruits and he’ll have all the resources he needs to make that happen.

Plus I’m sure his wife and kids would love the warm weather and being in the south again.

As for who replaces Lanning, I’d be happy with Jed Fisch, much better option than Justin Wilcox.

I really hope I’m wrong and I want Lanning to stay but it’s just what I think will happen, nothing we can do about it but wait and see.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I have hard time believing anyone is already in Tuscaloosa… If they had a plan, and Lanning was their guy, Lanning would have already interviewed. If this was a surprise, they’re not getting Lanning or anyone else there in a matter of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

While that KVAL report is concerning, I've not seen anything remotely close to that reported by anyone credible within the college football landscape. If the KVAL assistant news director could get such things confirmed then so could any number of more-established journalists who do this on the regular.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

whosyourwally wrote:I have hard time believing anyone is already in Tuscaloosa… If they had a plan, and Lanning was their guy, Lanning would have already interviewed. If this was a surprise, they’re not getting Lanning or anyone else there in a matter of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not buying that report either,, not so quick after Saban’s announcement without any internet backup or posts.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It’s not on KVAL website, seems like it would be if true.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

SI writer and Split Zone Duo podcast host with a bit of news to calm people down after the "Lanning in Tuscaloosa" stuff.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Found this on X

Buyouts for potential Alabama head coach candidates
Dan Lanning -- $20 million
Kalen DeBoer -- $12 million
Dabo Swinney -- $7.5 million
James Franklin -- $6 million
Mike Norvell -- $4 million
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yeah I just don't believe Lanning is in Tuscaloosa. I think the KVAL guy's sources had a grave miscommunication somewhere.

It would have been broken by now by other outlets.

I put far more stock in that SI writer getting first-hand confirmation with one of his sources.

ESPN just did its segment on Saban with hardly even a passing mention of Lanning being a person of interest. There's no way ESPN (and others) would stand for getting beat on a story like this.

Also saw an incoming player's mom saying on Twitter that Lanning isn't going anywhere. Maybe Dickey's mom.

Nemec also saying he's not there.

https://twitter.com/AndrewNemec/status/ ... 9096752176
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Deboer or Whittingham at bama would be very dangerous for any other team.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If Lanning does go (don't think he will) then we should snag Pete Carrol.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »