Page 1 of 3
Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:41 pm
by greenyellow
Looks like the Pac-12 will be announcing the addition of Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, and Colorado State tomorrow. They still need two others to meet the NCAA minimum of 8 conference team.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:53 am
by StevensTechU
Good for them. If they can land Tulane and a Texas school or Memphis, they're in good shape. Longer term, getting Cal and Stanford back from the ACC would improve both footprint and be a major boost academically, but the latter is the reason I don't see it happening.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:42 am
by nogerO
Maybe invite Idaho? They were D1 at one time. And they can certainly play with D1 teams.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:43 am
by OregonFan4Life
I wonder if they will try and get Stanford and Cal back. I don’t know the details but I thought their contract with the ACC wasn’t good and the travel is rough for Cal and Stanford.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:17 am
by squintsdd
OregonFan4Life wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:43 am
I wonder if they will try and get Stanford and Cal back. I don’t know the details but I thought their contract with the ACC wasn’t good and the travel is rough for Cal and Stanford.
I'm not positive on the details either, but I think they get paid pretty much nothing with their ACC contract, but they can leave pretty much any time with no repercussions.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:26 am
by UOducksTK1
Makes sense. And ya potentially getting Stanford/Cal back if ACC falls apart would get them to 8.
Colorado State was the one surprising team to see them add, but I guess they have a good market (Denver)?
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:28 am
by OregonFan4Life
UOducksTK1 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:26 am
Makes sense. And ya potentially getting Stanford/Cal back if ACC falls apart would get them to 8.
Colorado State was the one surprising team to see them add, but I guess they have a good market (Denver)?
I could see Stanford and Cal leaving before any other movement from the ACC, but I’m sure before long we’ll see Clemson, Miami, and Florida State leave the ACC.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:30 am
by UOducksTK1
OregonFan4Life wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:28 am
UOducksTK1 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:26 am
Makes sense. And ya potentially getting Stanford/Cal back if ACC falls apart would get them to 8.
Colorado State was the one surprising team to see them add, but I guess they have a good market (Denver)?
I could see Stanford and Cal leaving before any other movement from the ACC, but I’m sure before long we’ll see Clemson, Miami, and Florida State leave the ACC.
What's their buyout?
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:37 am
by duck92
To me, I think this makes it more likely that Stanford and Cal join the Big 10. They aren't going to join a conference with Boise State and Fresno State, They don't want to be associated with them because of academics.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:12 am
by squintsdd
duck92 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:37 am
To me, I think this makes it more likely that Stanford and Cal join the Big 10. They aren't going to join a conference with Boise State and Fresno State, They don't want to be associated with them because of academics.
The Big 10 has to want/invite them. As it stands right now, they don't/haven't
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:45 am
by Duck07
Cal/Stanford signed a GOR agreement through 2036 with the ACC; the conference will either need to release them or implode as they aren't likely to pay the exit fee to join the Pac 6 and make it 8 again. ESPN reported last year that it was a 120 Million $ exit fee per ACC school so I'd assume that by joining Cal/Stanford signed up for the same deal. It's also my understanding that the ACC couldn't "release" Cal/Stanford and use that "extra" money for the other schools or Clemson/FSU because its ESPN money for additional conference schools, not the league. I think ultimately they'll mutually agree to disassociate because the travel looks even more absurd than the B1G and the ACC schools won't like coming to the Bay Area.
From last year -
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... anford-cal
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:21 pm
by greenyellow
I could see them adding UTSA to get into Texas and maybe UNLV to get the Vegas market. If they wanted, they could probably get Hawaii cheap since they're not full MWC members.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:08 pm
by StevensTechU
They're not gonna continue paying for mountain west teams. That makes absolutely zero sense when it would've been cheaper to merge than to buy them individually.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:16 pm
by Duck07
I think the "draw" of the "Pac 12" for any new members is that its trying to sell itself as the next best football conference in order to secure the at-large spot.
Getting Cal/Stanford back would be a definite win in that regard if the ACC pukes them back after getting a bad taste of CBD's.
I think you can scrap Air Force from this so you end up with Tulane/Memphis pairing along with Wyoming/UNLV and New Mexico/UTSA. Those 6 give you an actual Pac 12 and if you somehow grab Cal/Stanford first, they wouldn't need to expand the map as far to reach that number.
Re: Pac-12 not dead yet
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:17 pm
by Duck07
StevensTechU wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:08 pm
They're not gonna continue paying for mountain west teams. That makes absolutely zero sense when it would've been cheaper to merge than to buy them individually.
Maybe this is what happens when all the attorneys get involved in order to make it official.