Oregon State @ Oregon (Sunday)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Oregon State @ Oregon (Sunday)

Post by karlhungis »

What has Dunlap done? This team honestly looks exactly the same as every other Kent team.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

karlhungis wrote:What has Dunlap done? This team honestly looks exactly the same as every other Kent team.
Instituted that press, for one. Dunlap loves the press.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

I'll wait around until March to make any judgments on this season, but these last few games sure have been like a microcosm of Ernie's career. Win two games, look good doing it, then fall of the face of the earth at home against your rival with a serious talent disadvantage.

It's about consistency. These last few years the team's tendency to play with flashes of brilliance followed at times by numbing ineptitude have been written off as youth (which may be partly true). How long will that be the case? To an extent, I understand what some of you are saying about how the "fire Ernie crowd" always has to make it his fault, but that goes both ways too. At what point should the inconsistency, periods of mediocrity and flat out poor play, become something that Ernie is accountable for? How many years should we accept between miracle Elite 8 runs?

I would love for EK to be successful at UO. I have nothing against him personally. Hopefully we can pull it together for a respectable run this year.
AKA: CAgrown
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

What a joke. The team beat Washington State and Washington and those wins looked good but in reality Washington and Washington State are looking pretty bad themselves. The PAC-10 as a whole sucks and if Oregon with the supposed great talent they have since Kent is such a great recruiter can't either win the conference or finish near the top now that the team is experienced needs to go, no let's give him another year BS. People talk about the lack of a PG or big man hurts the team, well if that is the case then Kent is not such a great recruiter after all is he, since he was unable to recruit a PG or big man to the team. If it means Kent getting fired I hope the team does poorly the rest of the year because I am tired of one or two good years followed by 2-3 bad years. We need a new coach to go with the new arena!
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I don't see the pac-10 being as down as it is this season for awhile. If Oregon cannot make the tournament this season, Kent needs to go ASAP. There should be go questions about it. Enough is enough. This team has lost to several mediocre teams over the years, and recently t hey have lost a lot of those games at home. I wish the basketball program had the same standards as the football program.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Oregon has a good big man. they also have a great pg. the problem is
if porter has the ball the whole time neither one of them will see the
ball. what gave them chemistry in Washington is porter played the 2 guard
and could spot up. they also got the ball inside. but last night they fell back
to what was causing some of the problems before. porter wants to take the
team on his back. the ball needs to be Armsteads control. when he has
it they have an inside game. porter and the shooters can spot up. the bigs
get great passes. don't get me wrong i like porter. great shooter. but he
just isn't a point guard. when he has it the other four players just stand and
watch. but that comes down to coaching.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

duckfan22 wrote:Oregon has a good big man. they also have a great pg. the problem is
I agree 100000000%.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Infortunately no matter what the reason or excuse, everything comes back to coaching. If the players aren't doing what the coaches say then thats on the coaches! Did we just recruit the most rebellious players in the country that refuse to listen to the coaches? If TP isn't following the gameplan & goes rouge at the end of the game then BENCH HIM. But Kent just stands there & does nothing about it.

There isn't a single good reason for this team to be this inconsistent. I was really impressed with how well the weekend sweep in washington was coached. I really thought Kent did a good job. But then we come home against a beevur team that simply isn't good & come out with that crap? Something isn't right. And IMO its Kent. There's nothing else at this point. Nothing else to blame this teams innability on.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckfan22 wrote:Oregon has a good big man. they also have a great pg. the problem is
Yep, basically how I see it. +1

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Infortunately no matter what the reason or excuse, everything comes back to coaching. If the players aren't doing what the coaches say then thats on the coaches! Did we just recruit the most rebellious players in the country that refuse to listen to the coaches? If TP isn't following the gameplan & goes rouge at the end of the game then BENCH HIM. But Kent just stands there & does nothing about it.

There isn't a single good reason for this team to be this inconsistent. I was really impressed with how well the weekend sweep in washington was coached. I really thought Kent did a good job. But then we come home against a beevur team that simply isn't good & come out with that crap? Something isn't right. And IMO its Kent. There's nothing else at this point. Nothing else to blame this teams innability on.
Your single reason would be youth...we start 1 senior, 2 freshman and 2 sophmores...with 2 juniors and a bunch of sophmores coming of the bench...I'm sorry but that is youth
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

I agree that for the most part Armstead should have the ball...But there was a reason for him not having it towards the end of this game...He played terrible...Turning the ball over left and right and then forcing bad shots out of frustration...Sometime's guys get in there own heads and they just aren't the same person that day and he for sure wasn't
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

pudgejeff wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Infortunately no matter what the reason or excuse, everything comes back to coaching. If the players aren't doing what the coaches say then thats on the coaches! Did we just recruit the most rebellious players in the country that refuse to listen to the coaches? If TP isn't following the gameplan & goes rouge at the end of the game then BENCH HIM. But Kent just stands there & does nothing about it.

Your single reason would be youth...we start 1 senior, 2 freshman and 2 sophmores...with 2 juniors and a bunch of sophmores coming of the bench...I'm sorry but that is youth
I see what you're saying, and you're probably right, youth is a big problem. Only it seems like "youth" is our problem every year. If we are constantly starting freshman and sophomores (which I thought was the excuse for our problems since like 2007) that means the players preceding them are not developing at an adequate pace. That boils down to one of these two things 1.) We aren't bringing in elite talent and Ernie cannot recruit like we think (I don't buy it) or 2.) There are some serious failings in coaching from a development standpoint (This is my guess).

Honestly it blows my mind. You look at a player like Bryce, who we all thought had broken out.........regressed. Maarty was consistent for his career here. It took a stud NBA PG until his senior year to get going. Malik never hit full stride. Champ, gone and then blossomed. I don't know, it's the inconsistency that kills me. Sure the players bear some burden as well. I just see a lot of underachieving rosters, mixed in with 2 superb seasons. From a talent standpoint alone there should be no reason for this team to drop a home game to OS in the last Civil War ever played at Mac. Especially when the same OS team lost to Seattle by 50 on their own home floor. This screams lack of focus, intensity, desire. I didn't see the game so I can't say which, but I'm positive one of those is the reason.
AKA: CAgrown
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

The "youth excuse" cannot be used every year. If you do want to blame problems on youth, then that's on Kent for not redshirting players and not taking players in certain classes. Besides, other teams win with youth.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Elduderino wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:

I see what you're saying, and you're probably right, youth is a big problem. Only it seems like "youth" is our problem every year. If we are constantly starting freshman and sophomores (which I thought was the excuse for our problems since like 2007) that means the players preceding them are not developing at an adequate pace. That boils down to one of these two things 1.) We aren't bringing in elite talent and Ernie cannot recruit like we think (I don't buy it) or 2.) There are some serious failings in coaching from a development standpoint (This is my guess).

Honestly it blows my mind. You look at a player like Bryce, who we all thought had broken out.........regressed. Maarty was consistent for his career here. It took a stud NBA PG until his senior year to get going. Malik never hit full stride. Champ, gone and then blossomed. I don't know, it's the inconsistency that kills me. Sure the players bear some burden as well. I just see a lot of underachieving rosters, mixed in with 2 superb seasons. From a talent standpoint alone there should be no reason for this team to drop a home game to OS in the last Civil War ever played at Mac. Especially when the same OS team lost to Seattle by 50 on their own home floor. This screams lack of focus, intensity, desire. I didn't see the game so I can't say which, but I'm positive one of those is the reason.
Yep that was my point. Theres not a single good reason for this team being so bad. Its all excuses. And every excuse leads back to one thing... Kent. The excuses are starting to go in circles, each excuse brings up another excuse which can be blamed on three or four other things. They all revolve around one thing though. Coaching.

So we're still too young to be winning. Why's that? Its not like we had a bunch of guys leave early for the NBA. Kent has mismanaged recruiting & splitting up classes so badly. We have EIGHT sophmores... EIGHT. So in a few years we are going to have to start all over again & go through another 2-3 years of the youth excuse. Again, theres one reason we are in this mess. Kent has no one to blame but himself.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Elduderino wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:

Yep that was my point. Theres not a single good reason for this team being so bad. Its all excuses. And every excuse leads back to one thing... Kent. The excuses are starting to go in circles, each excuse brings up another excuse which can be blamed on three or four other things. They all revolve around one thing though. Coaching.

So we're still too young to be winning. Why's that? Its not like we had a bunch of guys leave early for the NBA. Kent has mismanaged recruiting & splitting up classes so badly. We have EIGHT sophmores... EIGHT. So in a few years we are going to have to start all over again & go through another 2-3 years of the youth excuse. Again, theres one reason we are in this mess. Kent has no one to blame but himself.
I didn't say we were to young to win...We did win at the Washington schools...I was answering the question to the inconsistency, which is due to youth...They didn't look anything like the teams that played the Washington schools on Sunday night...They looked confused and young, Armstead struggled and fell apart early, Dunnigan got in foul trouble early in both halves, TP struggled from the field...My biggest squabble is that Kent took too long to bring BIg Mike back...he only had 3 fould in the second half and got pulled with 18 min to go, I understand him sitting til the 14 min mark maybe, but he didn't come back til way late and that comes back to my biggest pet peeve with Kent, It seems like he forgets about players on his bench sometimes...Or the fact the we struggled real quick and went down 8-0 and couldn't figure out the defense, and then all of the sudden the guys on the court figure it out and go on a 7-0 run, then for some reason right then Kent decides to bring in 4 new guys that don't have the defense figured out and we go back to struggling...That pissed me off...I don't want him fired, but don't think I'm just blind