Arizona State @ Oregon (Thursday 5:30 PM)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Arizona State @ Oregon (Thursday 5:30 PM)

Post by oregontrack »

Tray Dub wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:Why wait until the end of the season to get rid of Kent? I am still in shock that Jamil Wilson chose Oregon. Where is Dunigan? Where is the Armstead from early on? Stop playing Porter so much!!!!! I don't know what's worse, the offense or the defense.
Because you don't fire your coach in the middle of the season unless there's a better reason than "we're losing". It throws the team into turmoil and doesn't even give the guys a chance to win. There's no upside to getting rid of Kent now either, and it's disrespectful to him on top of that. Whether or not he's a good coach, he's still a pretty good guy (I don't know him but I know people that do).

There is already turmoil. Let Dunlap coach the rest of the season. Kent might be a good guy, but it's all about results. And disrespectful to him? He isn't doing his job well. This is real life, he can get over it. It's time to get serious about the basketball program.
I haven't heard anything about turmoil. I just don't see any advantages to firing him right now that would outweigh the costs.
The advantage is that what Ernie is doing right now is not working. You can either continue to let the player regress and not develop, or you can fire Ernie and have Dunlap try his hand at it on an interim basis. Worst case scenario, we end the season with a thud, and go on a nationwide coaching search. That's going to happen with Ernie anyway. Best case scenario, the team actually takes a step forward, players begin to define some roles, and we have some momentum going into next season.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

Dunlap has been here before at Arizona and he turned down the interim job as they wouldn't guarantee him the job in full...I would assume he would do the same here
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

fair enough. then you hand over the reigns to someone else for the next eight weeks. this season is going nowhere regardless.*
ImageImageImageImageImage
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

IMO you wait until the end of the year. You won't gain anything by canning him early.
AKA: CAgrown
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

You can absolutely gain something by firing Kent now. You can get the players motivated to play well the rest of the season and you can start filling Mac Court again. Right now, it looks like most of the players could care less and many fans could care less about this team.
scaredhitless08
Two Star Recruit

Post by scaredhitless08 »

duckgrad99 wrote:You can absolutely gain something by firing Kent now. You can get the players motivated to play well the rest of the season and you can start filling Mac Court again. Right now, it looks like most of the players could care less and many fans could care less about this team.
I agree, it's a down year in the Pac10. If EK were fired, there's no reason to believe that the team would rally around an interim coach and finish strong.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckgrad99 wrote:You can absolutely gain something by firing Kent now. You can get the players motivated to play well the rest of the season and you can start filling Mac Court again. Right now, it looks like most of the players could care less and many fans could care less about this team.
We will lose recruits by firing Kent which will suck... But I think it's worth it.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13