Arizona @ Oregon (SAT)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Re: Arizona @ Oregon (SAT)

Post by bellsduck »

Our defense overall wasn't very good today in addition to shooting.
During the critical point of the game we gave up a couple wide open 3's off very simple pick'n'roll plays at the top of the circle. In addition our zone defense left several guys open for easy layups cutting along the bottom of the key. A couple times we also stopped blocking out players assuming a lay-up was going to be made by Arizona that was ultimately missed.

They're not playing like they are enjoying the game. That directly carries over to some of the poor shooting in my opinion.

I used to say don't fire the coach in the middle of the year, but I'm starting to change my mind. I think the players have once again tuned out Kent. Whatever he's trying to coach them is not sticking during the games. I know it won't happen.
Maybe it would light a fire under them for the rest of this year.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

duckgrad99 wrote:It's just so frustrating. Not only because they lose, but because the energy isn't their from several players and the fans seem out of it. When I went to Oregon in the late 90's, the teams weren't great, but they played with such passion and the fans went crazy. If a new coach isn't brough in for the new arena, I'll be extremely disappointed in Belloti or whoever else makes these decisions. It might never be the football program, but it really hurts to see the basketball program so down.
I was in school in the 70's and part of the Kamakazee Kids....This current bunch of Three Stooges and Keystone Cops are a joke..And not a funny joke at that....It is past time for a change in coaching and a change of attitude....Otherwise, we are just wasting 200M + and will have a gr8 facility and a crappy program to go along with it...
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

I used to say don't fire the coach in the middle of the year, but I'm starting to change my mind. [/quote]
I agree, I USED to always say that also....But, now, I HAVE changed my mind...It pissed me off when OSU canned old whats his name....But, now, I can understand that sometimes what used to seem so clear, may not seem so clear any longer...

Thank God for Football and Track....
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

bellsduck wrote:Maybe it would light a fire under them for the rest of this year.
What's the worst that could happen? We lose the rest of our games...? Well, we seem to be headed that way anyhow, so what the hell..
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Kent should have been let go after last season. The team was atrocious. Maybe that would have been acceptable 20 years ago, but this is a new era.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Also, I think it's absolutely ridiculous not to redshirt at least one person on the team. I think there were several candidates for that this season. Wilson now has made 6 total field goals in 5 pac-10 games. Can we ever have a freshman have a breakout season? Sim isn't doing anything either, and we often have several other players that get in there for like 5 minutes a game.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

duckgrad99 wrote:Kent should have been let go after last season. The team was atrocious. Maybe that would have been acceptable 20 years ago, but this is a new era.
That my friend is the problem. Kent should've been gone after last season. Now we've wasted another year of these kids' careers here. Its really too bad. Next year will be a big transition if a new coach is brought in & by the time he's setttles the great class of Dunigan, Williams, Humphrey, Jacobs, Armstead, Wiley, Sim & Crittle will be SRs. Wasted talent, wasted opportunity. And on top of that we will have to replace EIGHT guys because Kent was too dumb to RS any of them. Even if we bring in a new coach, this program is going to be down for awhile. The athletic department has let this program just waste away. If something isn't done this year, it never will be.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Garrett Sim gets the start at point guard, along with Jamil Wilson, E.J. Singler, Michael Dunigan and Teondre Williams.

That was the starting lineup today. You want to take Porter out, fine, but Armstead on the bench? What has Sim, Wilson and Singler done to continue to start? Unbelievable. That experiment should never be used again.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckgrad99 wrote:Garrett Sim gets the start at point guard, along with Jamil Wilson, E.J. Singler, Michael Dunigan and Teondre Williams.

That was the starting lineup today. You want to take Porter out, fine, but Armstead on the bench? What has Sim, Wilson and Singler done to continue to start? Unbelievable. That experiment should never be used again.
I agree, Sim is kinda useless other than his shooting. Armstead is our best player right now. And it was nice to see Dunigan get some more touches today, but IMO, he needs the ball more.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i disagree re: today's loss not being about coaching. ernie kent teams have never, ever consistently fed the post, and we didn't do it at all today. dunigan won pac-10 potw two weeks ago, and we ignore him completely in order to take a jumper. armstead finally started heating up at one point, so naturally he needed to go sit on the bench to catch a breather. porter's allowed to do whatever he wants whenever he wants, team defense is optional, and the overall basketball iq of this team rivals some of those old damon stoudamire/zach randolph/bonzi wells jail blazer teams.

there's no cohesive plan on offense, and defense is... well, just plain bad. in the first five or six years of ernie kent's stay in eugene, we at least devoted ourselves to the fast break. darius wright and luke ridnour ran it to perfection. even when we didn't win, we still went with it, and it masked our half-court problems. for some reason, though, when aaron brooks got here, kent decided to slow the pace, and the fast break that we used to excel at has only made sporadic appearances since. despite the shift in philosophies, we still recruit like a fast break team. so we have a roster full of athletes who need to run in order to succeed, but they don't run. they're mediocre shooters who rely on a simplistic kick-out offense, which can work... if you have excellent shooters. they're athletic, but we don't take advantage of slashers. this year in particular, even though dunigan can run, it's like we purposely slow things down in order to suit his game, only we don't get him the ball, making the whole ordeal an exercise in futility.

ernie's not the same coach he was from '97-03. we used to be fun, even when we didn't win.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:i disagree re: today's loss not being about coaching. ernie kent teams have never, ever consistently fed the post, and we didn't do it at all today. dunigan won pac-10 potw two weeks ago, and we ignore him completely in order to take a jumper. armstead finally started heating up at one point, so naturally he needed to go sit on the bench to catch a breather. porter's allowed to do whatever he wants whenever he wants, team defense is optional, and the overall basketball iq of this team rivals some of those old damon stoudamire/zach randolph/bonzi wells jail blazer teams.

there's no cohesive plan on offense, and defense is... well, just plain bad. in the first five or six years of ernie kent's stay in eugene, we at least devoted ourselves to the fast break. darius wright and luke ridnour ran it to perfection. even when we didn't win, we still went with it, and it masked our half-court problems. for some reason, though, when aaron brooks got here, kent decided to slow the pace, and the fast break that we used to excel at has only made sporadic appearances since. despite the shift in philosophies, we still recruit like a fast break team. so we have a roster full of athletes who need to run in order to succeed, but they don't run. they're mediocre shooters who rely on a simplistic kick-out offense, which can work... if you have excellent shooters. they're athletic, but we don't take advantage of slashers. this year in particular, even though dunigan can run, it's like we purposely slow things down in order to suit his game, only we don't get him the ball, making the whole ordeal an exercise in futility.

ernie's not the same coach he was from '97-03. we used to be fun, even when we didn't win.
You make some excellent posts and I do agree with you a lot. But you have to admit, today's loss had a lot to due with poor shooting. And a lot of those misses were on open looks. So, I do agree with everything you said, and I can't stand Kent, but some games you just aren't hitting.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I surrendered after that late game sequence when the Ducks misfired 5 consecutive times on one possession... There is no excuse, with this level of talent, to have that level of futility.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

oregontrack wrote:i disagree re: today's loss not being about coaching. ernie kent teams have never, ever consistently fed the post, and we didn't do it at all today. dunigan won pac-10 potw two weeks ago, and we ignore him completely in order to take a jumper. armstead finally started heating up at one point, so naturally he needed to go sit on the bench to catch a breather. porter's allowed to do whatever he wants whenever he wants, team defense is optional, and the overall basketball iq of this team rivals some of those old damon stoudamire/zach randolph/bonzi wells jail blazer teams.

Wow, that was some excellent analysis. Post more often if you can. :)
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

duckgrad99 wrote:Also, I think it's absolutely ridiculous not to redshirt at least one person on the team. I think there were several candidates for that this season. Wilson now has made 6 total field goals in 5 pac-10 games. Can we ever have a freshman have a breakout season? Sim isn't doing anything either, and we often have several other players that get in there for like 5 minutes a game.
i agree with this to an extent, only i think not redshirting some kids last year was the crime. wilson wouldn't have come here if we told him we were going to redshirt him. singler has lately run into some early foul trouble which has been frustrating, but he's probably the smartest kid on this team from a basketball perspective, and i think he needs to play. outside of dunigan, he's our best rebounder, and he's got a well-rounded offensive game. his problem offensively is that he's too unselfish + others around him like to hog the ball.

not redshirting wiley and williams last year was borderline criminal. i realize wiley was a four star recruit, but as a thurston high alum/fan, i saw almost every game he played his senior... and he was never, ever going to contribute as a true freshman. he absolutely needed to redshirt. hell, he would have benefited from a redshirt this year, too. he's playing even less this year than last. likewise, teondre needed to redshirt as a freshman... he barely played, he had lingering injury issues... blah. crittle played quite a big last year, but is there any reason he's not redshirting this year? he's certainly not playing.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

You make some excellent posts and I do agree with you a lot. But you have to admit, today's loss had a lot to due with poor shooting. And a lot of those misses were on open looks. So, I do agree with everything you said, and I can't stand Kent, but some games you just aren't hitting.
i agree, we had a poor shooting night, but that also leads into part of my rant. we're a team full of mediocre shooters, but ernie continues to play a brand of offense that demands good three point shooting in order to win games. the term "live by the three, die by the three" became really popular around here during the ridnour era, but in reality, while we did shoot a bunch of threes, we had some amazing longball shooters in rid, jackson, jones, lever, and davis... and on days when we weren't knocking down a bunch of treys, our faster-than-lightning style of play led to easy buckets off rebounds (and heck, often off made shots). now, we don't give ourselves opportunities to get easy buckets, and we have nowhere near as good of shooters.

imo, on night's where we aren't shooting well (which, unfortunately, is often), we need to be doing other things. lekendric is good at driving and getting his on shot, and armstead was on that washington trip, but guys like wilson and teondre should be making a living on cuts and getting to the foul line. and dunigan, of course, needs to be the focal point in which everything we do is based off of. instead, all we seem to do is stand around and wait for a jumper.