Ernie is Delusional

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Re: Some current information

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

soduck wrote:I was told via a will placed source that Kent will likely be let go before the Pac 10 tournament. At the end of the season. Dunlap to take over temporary head coach. Mark Few is a big target, but as stated previously he won't discuss the position until the job is vacant. And obviously Gonzaga is going to the tournament so he won't discuss it until they are out. Tubby Smith was also mentioned as a possible target. No surprises here, but before the tournament makes some sense, we will see. Bellotti is on board and Kilkenny still very involved and a very good friend of Few.
Thats a big relief. I personally would love to have Tubby Smith.
cordy02c
Senior

Re: Ernie is Delusional

Post by cordy02c »

only question is will it be announced at that time or after pac10 tourney
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I wish it was announced now. That way, I wouldn't have to worry that Kent might stay if the ducks win another couple of games. :lol:
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckgrad99 wrote:I wish it was announced now. That way, I wouldn't have to worry that Kent might stay if the ducks win another couple of games. :lol:
c'mon son, ain't happenin
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

I was told the reason they are going to let him go before the Pac 10 tournament is just in case he makes a good run in it, it would make it a harder decision to let him go. A lot of donors are holding back committing on seats for the new arena until he is replaced. I feel it would have been nice for Kent to open the new arena, but it also put more pressure on him to perform this year to fill seats and bring in lots of donors. Something he certainly has not done this year. Remember he was close to not coming back this year. I felt it was fair to let him have one more year, this year to turn it around. Dunlap was brought in to help him coach ingame, If you watched this year Kent is still making the calls in the games. And yelling MOve, Move. He has not let Dunlap do enough. I was glad to hear Kilkenny is still very much involved. Our very much second great Duck
patron. Thank you very much, both PK's. What great fortune we Ducks have had to have them both be so generous and help create such a great athletic program and facilities here. By the way look for an announcement about Autzen expansion in about a year from now after the Knight arena is finished. How does another 15,000 screaming Ducks sound. With LMJ potentially bad news I felt we could all use some cheering up.
Last edited by soduck on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Some current information

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
soduck wrote:I was told via a will placed source that Kent will likely be let go before the Pac 10 tournament. At the end of the season. Dunlap to take over temporary head coach. Mark Few is a big target, but as stated previously he won't discuss the position until the job is vacant. And obviously Gonzaga is going to the tournament so he won't discuss it until they are out. Tubby Smith was also mentioned as a possible target. No surprises here, but before the tournament makes some sense, we will see. Bellotti is on board and Kilkenny still very involved and a very good friend of Few.
Thats a big relief. I personally would love to have Tubby Smith.
Tubby Smith would be awesome. Recruiting shouldn't take a hit at all with him, and he's a winner.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... ent_d.html

That should give you a nice laugh. :lol: Blaming players, asking everyone to be patient, thinking all problems are ok because of the elite 8,etc. Goodbye Ernie!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... ent_d.html

That should give you a nice laugh. :lol: Blaming players, asking everyone to be patient, thinking all problems are ok because of the elite 8,etc. Goodbye Ernie!
He hasn't taken any blame for the shortfalls this season and this to me still isn't any different. I would have a little more (not much more) sympathy for him if he took some blame for the lackluster performances this season, but this rant after the game is basically the last straw for me in my support of Kent. Any decent coach would have his team ready to play and keep games close, but he can't even manage that. Even the Dunlap coaching move seems to have been for nothing since the defense is still crappy and the season is again in the toilet.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

Dunlap will give us a good coach for the the Pac 10 tournament. But if Few takes the job I was told he will bring his own staff. So kind of an expensive experiment, but to those that still want Kent at least he can't blame his assistants, if he only would have let Dunlap coach. And yes I think Tubby would be great, as well.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Where I come from, the overall win-loss record of the EK tenure would be termed anything but a success.

In most forms of business, 2 successful years out of 16 would have been equivalent to bankruptcy... Oregon needs and deserves better.

Where's the eject button?

We need a bailout!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

Trust me I'm on the "Ernie is done" train, but what do we expect him to say? I mean, the guy still want's his job right? He should still be competing. I'm fine with him saying what he said, it's his only argument for staying. I don't think we should expect him to come out saying, "Yep, I suck and I got bailed out by legit NBA talent in 2 seasons....."

I don't know, I don't have anything personal against Ernie, and we should give credit where credit is due. What he's basically saying is that he's had teams that underperformed before but eventually pulled it together for one great run; he's right. The only problem is that this semi-constant under-performance peppered with random runs of great basketball is not how consistent winners are constructed.
AKA: CAgrown
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Elduderino wrote:

Trust me I'm on the "Ernie is done" train, but what do we expect him to say? I mean, the guy still want's his job right? He should still be competing. I'm fine with him saying what he said, it's his only argument for staying. I don't think we should expect him to come out saying, "Yep, I suck and I got bailed out by legit NBA talent in 2 seasons....."

I don't know, I don't have anything personal against Ernie, and we should give credit where credit is due. What he's basically saying is that he's had teams that underperformed before but eventually pulled it together for one great run; he's right. The only problem is that this semi-constant under-performance peppered with random runs of great basketball is not how consistent winners are constructed.

Because we have heard all the excuses from him. You cannot expect fans to be patient after 2 straight horrible seasons, and 1 good season since 2002. He also continues to blame the players instead of saying that he is the coach, and it's his job to get these guys to play as a team and to make adjustments. The fact that Oregon is in last place this season and rarely competes in a horrible pac-10 says volumes about the coaching. Ernie deserves all the criticism he is getting. The program is a mess, and he refuses to avoid the real issues.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

duckgrad99 wrote:
Elduderino wrote:

Because we have heard all the excuses from him. You cannot expect fans to be patient after 2 straight horrible seasons, and 1 good season since 2002. He also continues to blame the players instead of saying that he is the coach, and it's his job to get these guys to play as a team and to make adjustments. The fact that Oregon is in last place this season and rarely competes in a horrible pac-10 says volumes about the coaching. Ernie deserves all the criticism he is getting. The program is a mess, and he refuses to avoid the real issues.
Ok, so what do you want him to say? Give an example, what do you expect?

Why would he admit failure if he doesn't think he's failed? I've never said Ernie is beyond criticism, I criticize him all the time. I just think it's funny how we bash him for every little thing. Should we just expect him to give up and accept the inevitable?
AKA: CAgrown