So who now?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck Dogers
Two Star Recruit

So who now?

Post by Duck Dogers »

Its pretty obvious we arent getting that big name coach. So who do we look at now?
Rose? Drew? Martin?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: So who now?

Post by oregontrack »

I would support Terry Porter. Jamie Dixon lite, IMO.
ImageImageImageImageImage
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Brian Gregory from Dayton? maybe Randy Bennett St. Mary's ? the assistant from
the blazers? i still think they will make a play again for Tubby. Terry Porter ?
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Mike Anderson, Randy Bennett, Lon Krueger. I know I've been saying we should get someone with college coaching experience, but I'm surprised the Duke assistants haven't been looked at.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

oregontrack wrote:I would support Terry Porter. Jamie Dixon lite, IMO.
You know, Terry might not be a bad hire, as long as he got some good assistants that had significant college experience. He's a defensive minded guy and he has a system that he's comfortable with.

He was average in Milwaukee, but he didn't have great players and his point guard, T.J Ford, was injured and out his second season.

He didn't do well in Phoenix because that team was built to run and rather than conform to the talent he had at hand, he chose to go head to head against those veteran players. The result was that the players were unhappy and Porter was eventually fired. He still had a winning record, though. I think his record in Phoenix was 25-21, but please don't quote me.

I'd prefer to have an experienced college coach, but I could think of worse hires than Terry Porter.

My two cents.
John 3:36
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

http://www.dwightjaynes.com/

I guess PJ is still likely.....

My #1 choice at this point would be Monty Williams, but I think it's pretty unlikely that we would offer him and for him to accept it :(
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Freddy Krueger...

Slashing defense and offense. Take no prisoners attitude. Never give an inch.

Is Fred Jones available? Maybe he could get Ronnie Lee as an assistant.

Add Greg Ballard as a special assistant for training up the Bigs...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

SuperDuck wrote:
oregontrack wrote:I would support Terry Porter. Jamie Dixon lite, IMO.
You know, Terry might not be a bad hire, as long as he got some good assistants that had significant college experience. He's a defensive minded guy and he has a system that he's comfortable with.

He was average in Milwaukee, but he didn't have great players and his point guard, T.J Ford, was injured and out his second season.

He didn't do well in Phoenix because that team was built to run and rather than conform to the talent he had at hand, he chose to go head to head against those veteran players. The result was that the players were unhappy and Porter was eventually fired. He still had a winning record, though. I think his record in Phoenix was 25-21, but please don't quote me.

I'd prefer to have an experienced college coach, but I could think of worse hires than Terry Porter.

My two cents.
My thoughts EXACTLY. He's known as a defensive whiz who spent time with two franchises who just didn't have the players to defend. His first year in Milwaukee was good, taking a rebuilding/injured roster to the playoffs. His second year got off to a horrible start with the that awful neck injury to TJ Ford that you mentioned. And, as you mentioned, his stay in Pheonix was always going to be a disaster... you can't get the Suns to defend.

He'd bring defense to Matt Arena, something I think the fans would eat up. That said, I don't think he'd play Bennett Ball (or Craig Robinson's "hey, lets hold the ball at the top of the key for 30 seconds and wonder why nobody shows up for our games!"). I think he'd be a lot like Ben Howland, who runs when the opportunity presents itself but is more than comfortable setting up a play in the half court.

If he can keep Payne, recruiting would still be really good. I think Porter would have a great effect on parents when he does in-home visits, though admittedly most kids would probably be wondering who the guy with a weird shaped head was. Greg Graham is still available to bring in as an assistant...
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Boom wrote:http://www.dwightjaynes.com/

My #1 choice at this point would be Monty Williams, but I think it's pretty unlikely that we would offer him and for him to accept it :(

Am I the only one that would have just about anyone ahead of PJ? I like the idea of checking with Few again, but we all know that's not going to happen.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

duckgrad99 wrote:
Boom wrote:http://www.dwightjaynes.com/

Am I the only one that would have just about anyone ahead of PJ? I like the idea of checking with Few again, but we all know that's not going to happen.

I'd rather have an up and coming assistant coach from duke or butler or n carollina etc then pj.
just a bad fit for oregon. i would not go to a game.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

P.J. Carlesimo is downgrade from Ernie Kent...I'd take almost anyone over PJ. Randy Bennett should not be a candidate either.

If Dino Gaudio isn't an option, my list would look like this:

1. Mike Anderson
2. Brian Gregory
3. Jeff Capel
4. Keno Davis (Providence)
5. Mike Davis (UAB)
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Whats with all of this PJ Carlesimo criticism?

The only real problem I have with PJ is his age(60) and his career is likely winding down.

I don't understand why people are concerned about the choking incident.

Latrell Sprewell is a nut job
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Boom wrote:Whats with all of this PJ Carlesimo criticism?

The only real problem I have with PJ is his age(60) and his career is likely winding down.

Has nothing to do with the choking incident for me. He hasn't coached college basketball in about 20 years, and I don't see him relating well to kids ages 18-22. I want a younger coach who can be with the program for awhile.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:
Boom wrote:Whats with all of this PJ Carlesimo criticism?

Has nothing to do with the choking incident for me. He hasn't coached college basketball in about 20 years, and I don't see him relating well to kids ages 18-22. I want a younger coach who can be with the program for awhile.
About the same reason I don't want PJ as coach. Plus he had created some problems for Seton Hall by using somewhat questionable players to win.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Let's not go nuts with melodrama, PJ would be a steep upgrade from Ernie Kent.

That said, I'm not advocating for PJ. I don't give a damn about his age (we'll worry about what happens if he retires in 5 years in 2015, y'know? That's pretty far off), but there are still better guys out there.