So who now?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: So who now?

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:As far as Porter goes, I thought they wanted someone with some college coaching experience? I think if we are looking at an NBA coach, Avery Johnson would be better. More experience and he has proved he can win. I guess Adelman isn't happening.
I wouldn't mind Avery Johnson but Porter is someone that the whole state of Oregon would recognize and gain favor with most of the fans. As for the college coaching experience, I think they may be able to overlook that if they feel that is the only way to get a good coach.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckgrad99 wrote:I don't get why all of these so called experts are so fascinated with Randy Bennett. He has had several poor years at St. Mary's, never came in first place and has really done nothing outside of the sweet 16 this season. Outside of Gonzaga, the west coast conference is poor. His recruiting hasn't been superb either. Oregon can do better.
And he can only recruit Australian's! zomg...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Im willing to give porter a chance. If you can coach multi-millionares in the
nba you should be able to coach at the college level. It will be an advantage
to help teach these players what it takes to get to the next level. Id rather
have Avery i think. but thats just a gut feeling more then anything.
With Porters name in portland we may even have a chance at the Terrences. just my thoughts tho...
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

duckfan22 wrote:Im willing to give porter a chance. If you can coach multi-millionares in the
With Porters name in portland we may even have a chance at the Terrences. just my thoughts tho...

Yeah, if they do hire Porter, I will definitely support that. He obviously knows the game well, and recruits would know his name. I would be interested to learn more about his coaching style.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckfan22 wrote:Im willing to give porter a chance. If you can coach multi-millionares in the
Having name recognition in Portland may indeed help, but his coaching in the NBA could help pull players (not just the Terrences) in also.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

I'm on record saying I'm all about hiring Terry Porter (maybe in this thread even... who knows, its 15 pages long at this point). I was ready to hire Porter the moment Stevens turned us down, and really anxious to do it after Anderson said no.

Make it happen. Duck fans are going to love the defensive intensity he'll bring.
ImageImageImageImageImage
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

According to educk Payne will be retained, and Porter will bring former UP head coach and Trail Blazer player, Michael Holton, as an assistant. I don't think recruiting will be a huge issue with Payne and Holton as two of his assistant coaches. Oh and if they are already talking about potential assistants though this thing must be getting close, or at least you would think.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Terry Porter would be a solid hire. He's a smart guy and is well respected in circles around the NBA. The Bucks gave up on him way too early and he was screwed over by Kerr in Phoenix. In Phoenix, the players were upset with his half court offense and had absolutely no interest in playing defense. If you look at the personnel in Phoenix, you see guys like Nash, Amare, J-Rich, Barbosa, etc. - all below average defenders. At the time, Boris Diaw and Raja Bell were the only good defenders on the roster.

Now Phoenix has Alvin Gentry, who is a hands off coach who allows the players to do whatever they want (which includes not playing defense).
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

buckmarkduck wrote:According to educk Payne will be retained, and Porter will bring former UP head coach and Trail Blazer player, Michael Holton, as an assistant. I don't think recruiting will be a huge issue with Payne and Holton as two of his assistant coaches. Oh and if they are already talking about potential assistants though this thing must be getting close, or at least you would think.
Yeah thats definitely encouraging. I would really like Porter for multiple reasons. #1 I think he's a really good coach, #2 it would be finished fairly soon, ending this search & giving us a chance at the Terrence's, & #3 we'd keep Payne & Porter would bring in another good assistant in Holton.
Duck Dogers
Two Star Recruit

Post by Duck Dogers »

PK on his way to Indianapolis now. Too many coaches around that area to even speculate on who it might be.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Maybe he has some short term memory issues and is going after Stevens again.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

http://www.dwightjaynes.com/this-isnt-r ... %20Jaynes)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil: That's all I have to say on that. Also, something tells me that they aren't totally sold on Porter or he would have been the head coach by now. 1 more week until Terrence Jones decides.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:http://www.dwightjaynes.com/this-isnt-r ... %20Jaynes)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil: That's all I have to say on that. Also, something tells me that they aren't totally sold on Porter or he would have been the head coach by now. 1 more week until Terrence Jones decides.
With how slow Kilkenny is working this, we aren't going to have a coach in a week. The Terrences are going to be elsewhere next season and we're going to be stuck with no recruits this year.
jayduck
One Star Recruit

Post by jayduck »

greenyellow wrote:With how slow Kilkenny is working this, we aren't going to have a coach in a week. The Terrences are going to be elsewhere next season and we're going to be stuck with no recruits this year.
Not even a week, for one of them. Terrence Ross is announcing his decision on Monday.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

jayduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:With how slow Kilkenny is working this, we aren't going to have a coach in a week. The Terrences are going to be elsewhere next season and we're going to be stuck with no recruits this year.
Not even a week, for one of them. Terrence Ross is announcing his decision on Monday.
If so, then we have already lost them. I have a feeling that Jones will be going wherever Ross is going, but that Jones really wants to stay in-state.