I would much rather..

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

I would much rather..

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Have us take our time in finding the right fit, finding a guy who will be successfu here for years to come rather than rush into a hire simply to appease the impatient fans/media & maybe get a couple recruits.

I think Anderson turning us down may be a good thing for this search because hopefully it will make Phil Knight & the other boosters who want a big name coach, move on & realize we just need a good coach. Their name recognition won't matter if the guy is successful here. Who knew who Mike Bellotti was before he came here? What about Chip Kelly?

We will end up with a great hire, we just need to be patient.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: I would much rather..

Post by oregontrack »

Both Bellotti and Kelly were nationally respected coordinators who would have been dynamite candidates at any job opening in the country. :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

MB and Chip are extremely poor examples. They were both assistants with UO before taking over as head coach. Further, they were assistants under successful head coaches and only promoted when Brooks left for the NFL and MB retired. Thus, we knew what we were getting, which is a major reason why we want a “big name” coach. I am glad you have so much faith, but I wish it was grounded in reality.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

They have had over a month to find the "right fit" though. I've never seen a coaching search take this long after someone was let go. Sure they still might end up with a really good coach, but you certainly cannot blame people for being impatient/frustrated with what has gone on so far. They really need to bring someone in by the end of the month.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:They have had over a month to find the "right fit" though. I've never seen a coaching search take this long after someone was let go. Sure they still might end up with a really good coach, but you certainly cannot blame people for being impatient/frustrated with what has gone on so far. They really need to bring someone in by the end of the month.
With how impatient fans are getting, imagine how the players are feeling. They are in a state of limbo right now because they are training like they Kent is still coach but a new coach is going to bring something new in and they are going to have to learn a new system and possibly assistants fast for the upcoming season. I wouldn't be surprised is more players transfer if the coaching situation isn't settled by the end of the month.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

With how impatient fans are getting, imagine how the players are feeling. They are in a state of limbo right now because they are training like they Kent is still coach but a new coach is going to bring something new in and they are going to have to learn a new system and possibly assistants fast for the upcoming season. I wouldn't be surprised is more players transfer if the coaching situation isn't settled by the end of the month.[/quote]

C'mon now, really? Is this really about the players? Dont we all know that its ALL ABOUT THE FANS? :roll:
Seems that too many people dont recognize and maybe accept that college athletics are about the student athletes....We, AS FANS, are nothing more than spectators that pay to view the sports...
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I was talking about MB & Chip before they came to Oregon. Not right before they became our head coaches. My only point in bringing them up was to say that theres great coaches out there that just haven't been discovered or made a name for themselves yet.

Obviously its frustrating watching us being turned down but there shouldn't be any time limit. Why the rush? Because other schools hired their coaches in a week? Does quickness of the hire determine that coaches success? Because we want TJones, a one & done player most likely, so bad? Like I said, it sucks as a fan to see this drag out but I don't understand the thought that the longer this drags out the worse the hire will be. We'll get a coach when we get a coach. We won't be any worse off becaue it took longer than we wanted.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

EK's "big gig" before St Mays was... Saudi Arabia?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:EK's "big gig" before St Mays was... Saudi Arabia?
Well actually he had also been an assistant at Colorado State and Stanford before the St. Mary's job so it wasn't like he had no experience.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I was referring to his HC experience.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

jayduck
One Star Recruit

Post by jayduck »

I would expect us to have higher standards that St. Marys does, in hiring a coach.