Humphrey Transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Humphrey Transferring

Post by greenyellow »

According to The Oregonian, sources are saying Matt Humphrey is transferring. If so, it opens up another scholarship that may not even be filled due to the Ducks waiting too long to hire a coach. We could go into the season with only 10 players if we don't get the Terrences or anyone else.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... mphre.html
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: Humphrey Transferring

Post by duckgrad99 »

That's too bad, because he could really shoot the ball well. I also think he could have been better with the right coaching. Honestly, we are probably in for another long season.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:That's too bad, because he could really shoot the ball well. I also think he could have been better with the right coaching. Honestly, we are probably in for another long season.
With him transferring, I could see the other Chicago kids transfer out too since they came out here for Kent. If they also transfer, then it will be a really big rebuilding project for whoever the coach is since there will now be no big men left on the roster except Jacob, Singler and possibly Catron.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

greenyellow wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:That's too bad, because he could really shoot the ball well. I also think he could have been better with the right coaching. Honestly, we are probably in for another long season.
With him transferring, I could see the other Chicago kids transfer out too since they came out here for Kent. If they also transfer, then it will be a really big rebuilding project for whoever the coach is since there will now be no big men left on the roster except Jacob, Singler and possibly Catron.

Yeah, I was going to say that I wouldn't be surprised if Crittle leaves as well. No Porter, Wiley, Humphrey, possibly Catron and maybe more. Ouch! It's bad, but there has to be some coaches out there that would look at this in a positive way to try and turn a program around. It's definitely going to be a challenge.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

greenyellow wrote:
yup

This was the risk of firing Ernie......
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The only thing that could remedy all the Chicago kids transferring is bringing in a coach who will take a couple of his recruits with him. The problem is that the coaches we may be looking at will probably be from a lower level school with kids that probably aren't Pac-10 quality players or are assistants who have no pulling power. Plus most players have signed their LOIs so it would be hard for them break their commitments at this point.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I haven't gotten too worked up about how long this search is taking but if we're going to start losing players because we're taking so long, thats gonna aggravate me.

The one thing that has bothered me in this whole thing is how stuck on a big name the PKs have been. Stop wasting your time thinking we can get any coach we want & just find a good coach at a smaller program & hire him! There are so many talented coaches (assistants & head coaches) just waiting to be snatched up by a bigger school & make a name for themselves.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I haven't gotten too worked up about how long this search is taking but if we're going to start losing players because we're taking so long, thats gonna aggravate me.

The one thing that has bothered me in this whole thing is how stuck on a big name the PKs have been. Stop wasting your time thinking we can get any coach we want & just find a good coach at a smaller program & hire him! There are so many talented coaches (assistants & head coaches) just waiting to be snatched up by a bigger school & make a name for themselves.
That is how I started feeling once we saw the search start getting turned down left and right. The PKs need to drop their egos and outlandish expectations and just hire a solid coach, even if he may not have national name recognition. Yes, recruiting will drop and fans may not show up initially, but a solid coach could make the program consistent and build it up. Kent didn't start with the program being a national name; it took him time to build it up there. It seems like the PKs are looking for a quick fixer but that is not going to happen here.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Boom wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
yup

I think the fact that we still have no head coach this long after firing Ernie is a big reason some of these kids are leaving. Too be honest, leaving Humphrey sucks. He was probably one of our top 3 or 4 players IMO. Dunigan, Humphrey, Armstead, and Singler were must keeps. Losing Wilson would be a blow too because his upside is unreal.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
yup

I think the fact that we still have no head coach this long after firing Ernie is a big reason some of these kids are leaving. Too be honest, leaving Humphrey sucks. He was probably one of our top 3 or 4 players IMO. Dunigan, Humphrey, Armstead, and Singler were must keeps. Losing Wilson would be a blow too because his upside is unreal.
Wilson is the one that I am the most afraid of leaving since he has the athletic ability to be a top player but just needs to time to work on the finer details of the game. But having a couple of wings leave can only open up more PT for Wilson.
Cota
One Star Recruit

Post by Cota »

Humphrey was extremely overrated as a shooter coming in. He never hit more than 35% from the field or from 3 during his time at Oregon. Sucks for him that he is leaving, but I won't shed a tear.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I think the biggest reason is probably the departure of Payne. Rememebr he is the one that really recruited the Chicago kids. I expect Crittle and Dunigan will follow too.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

As far as the PK's being the reason for only going after big names, it was reported by at least one source, that Kilkenny wanted to take a run at some up and comers, but was meeting resistance from other parties involved in the process.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:As far as the PK's being the reason for only going after big names, it was reported by at least one source, that Kilkenny wanted to take a run at some up and comers, but was meeting resistance from other parties involved in the process.
If that is the case, then the other parties need to realize Oregon's true position in college basketball and see that it has shortcomings that will prevent it from landing a top-flight coach. The program still needs to be built up but by someone who is willing and able to do the job on a long-term basis. Kent was willing to do it but just wasn't a good enough coach to do it consistently.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Cota wrote:Humphrey was extremely overrated as a shooter coming in. He never hit more than 35% from the field or from 3 during his time at Oregon. Sucks for him that he is leaving, but I won't shed a tear.

I don't know, I mean I distinctly remember him winning a few games for us. Besides, the program loved Tajuan Porter, and look at his field goal percentage. You can also argue that if he received more consistent playing time and wasn't forced to throw up a bunch of shots because of coaching that he would have been better. I didn't think he was great, but the potential was certainly there.