my opinion on the coaching search.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: my opinion on the coaching search.

Post by Tray Dub »

pudgejeff wrote:
Duckattack7 wrote:People are forgetting the ONLY reason that the Terrence's are looking at us is because we are getting a new coach.
Completely inaccurate
Agreed actually. That's definitely untrue.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

So the fact that after we get rid of our coach (and at the time everyone was saying we had no chance) then they all of the sudden have intrest in us when we fired kent doesnt mean anything then?
Return Of the Quack!
jayduck
One Star Recruit

Post by jayduck »

Duckattack7 wrote:So the fact that after we get rid of our coach (and at the time everyone was saying we had no chance) then they all of the sudden have intrest in us when we fired kent doesnt mean anything then?
They had interest before we fired Kent too.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Duckattack7 wrote:So the fact that after we get rid of our coach (and at the time everyone was saying we had no chance) then they all of the sudden have intrest in us when we fired kent doesnt mean anything then?
The only reason he lowered his interest was because there was rumors of Kent being fired...He was very high up til that point...As was Tony Wroten...Obviously a much higher chance we were gonna get Terrance than Wroten, but now that Kent's gone we're not even hearing his name anymore
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

While it would suck to not get Jones and maybe 1 or 2 others, someone that can coach is the most important thing.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:While it would suck to not get Jones and maybe 1 or 2 others, someone that can coach is the most important thing.
But he needs players good enough to win.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Oh, hell... Put the full court press on Scott Drew, and let's move on!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:Oh, hell... Put the full court press on Scott Drew, and let's move on!
He's not a Nike coach so he a bad coach (per Phil Knight). :lol:
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

It sucks possibly losing the Terrances. It sucks not having a great coach hired, yet. Pat is extremely well connected and experienced in hiring coaches, and many executives. He has not hired anyone yet because he has not found the right coach to say yes. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes at all. The Porter rumor is just that. If he is going to be the coach we would have heard more by now, who knows maybe he is still a fall back. There are unknown issues that none of us know that Pat knows about these coaches. He has some amazing connections. Can you imagine the behind the scenes conversations Nike guys have had with him. The IMG guys are also very well connected. Obviously the search firm talked to many people behind the scenes. I was told they initially were looking at Few and Tubby Smith before they fired Kent in February. They both may have simply said no, or wanted too much. Pat knows, I trust him. We are all frustrated. And yes maybe we should have just settled for someone who would say yes by now.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

soduck wrote:It sucks possibly losing the Terrances. It sucks not having a great coach hired, yet. Pat is extremely well connected and experienced in hiring coaches, and many executives. He has not hired anyone yet because everyone he has asked has said NO thanks. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes at all. The Porter rumor is just that. If he is going to be the coach we would have heard more by now, who knows maybe he is still a fall back. There are unknown issues that none of us know that Pat knows about these coaches. He has some amazing connections. Can you imagine the behind the scenes conversations Nike guys have had with him. The IMG guys are also very well connected. Obviously the search firm talked to many people behind the scenes. I was told they initially were looking at Few and Tubby Smith before they fired Kent in February. They both may have simply said no, or wanted too much. Pat knows, I trust him. We are all frustrated. And yes maybe we should have just settled for someone who would say yes by now.
Pat has hired a baseball & womens basketball coach, I wouldn't say that he's experienced at hiring coaches...... and I don't think hiring executives is the same thing....
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Boom wrote: Pat has hired a baseball & womens basketball coach, I wouldn't say that he's experienced at hiring coaches...... and I don't think hiring executives is the same thing....

And both of those are near the top of their respective pay scale in traditionally non-revenue sports.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Even if we got both Terrences and didn't fire Kent it wouldn't have meant much, they would have underachieved with Kent as their coach. At this point it is possible to not get any recruits and the loss of 2 maybe 3 players to transfer and TP to graduation the Ducks will be a little shorthanded but at least the incoming coach will have the classes spread out a little bit. Once the new coach is able to start recruiting the Ducks will be fine, it might take 2-3 years before the new coach accomplishes much but it is not as though Kent would have done much over the next 2-3 years anyway so I am fine with how long it is taking, it does suck because we all want to know who it is going to be and it is feeling as though we may end up with nobody, but I like it that the Ducks are aiming high. Unfortunately the Ducks have struck out on all the high profile coaches but I have faith that they will bring in a quality coach that will get the program to the next level and bring consistency.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Check this one out, as well.

I think you will like Gregory's demeanor... As well as the way his players carry themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBlAESBV ... re=related

"The other thing, offensively, that I think our system allows, is guys to grow over their 4 years."

"When guys improve, there is no ceiling."

"Anytime you guys are competing, you're still trying to complete each other... Make each other better."

Play with "furious intensity"... "High Pressure Defense"... "Get on the floor for loose balls"... ?

He's too good for Oregon. Image

Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

a guy like that should have been a target early on. the nit has come and
gone 2-3 weeks ago. now Gregory has his recruiting class in and it
will be harder to lure him here. That being said i still hope he listens and comes here. perfect fit for Oregon. he's not the big splash pk has been
looking for, he or someone just like him should have been the coach pk
should have been looking for.