John Loyd

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jayduck
One Star Recruit

Re: John Loyd

Post by jayduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Some game highlights here with Loyd in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vgcqj1e4zw

He's #24 on the white team. Hits like 5 shots.
Thanks for the link. Here it is cut, so its only Lloyd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFRo1fKHGRk
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

woundedknees wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiti ... id=5125077

He's the 5-foot-9, two-sport bundle of energy chiseled into a sinewy frame that helped Las Vegas Bishop Gorman win 102 games in four seasons, including 60 in the last two. He was also a first-team all-state performer on the gridiron. (Loyd played defensive back and returned kicks.)

"No matter where he goes; Johnathan will help a team," Rice said. "He wants a program that is ready for the [NCAA] tournament."
Thanks for the link. Loyd would be a great pickup and it's nice to see that he's a good student to boot. Oregon can't compete with Northwestern academically (nor can any school that has offered him besides Virginia). Loyd definitely seems like a sleeper. As I said earlier in the thread, I see some similarities between he and Jerome Randle.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

jayduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Some game highlights here with Loyd in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vgcqj1e4zw

He's #24 on the white team. Hits like 5 shots.
Thanks for the link. Here it is cut, so its only Lloyd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFRo1fKHGRk
Not a bad highlight film, especially considering he was playing against Mater Dei High from California.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

My friend, who coaches, happened to have it and I watched it shortly after the hire to see what kind of coach he is. I'm not sure where to pick one up but I'll try top find out.
duckfan22 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Oh for sure Altman is a big step up from EK on the X's and O's, and if you ever get a chance watch his instrumental video. If you understand basketball, you will be impressed with his knowledge and the way he teaches. Players won't take 4 years to achieve a semblance of there potential like they did under Kent. Now can he recruit as well, that remains to be seen, but wins go a long way in landing recruits.
I agree. i always liked Ernie. met him once and he was nice.
was never one who thought he could coach in the half court.
If his teams couldnt shoot then that usually meant trouble.
I think Altman fits with what oregon needs to do. Where do i find
the instrumental video of him. I checked most of the you tube stuff
i most likely missed it. thanks in advance....duckfan22
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Can we get back on topic? This thread is not about Altman vs. Ernie...

From ESPN (here)
link
New Oregon head coach Dana Altman has nailed down two high profile visitors for this weekend, reports ESPN.com affiliate http://www.DuckTerritory.com.

Senior small forward Dwayne Polee was supposed to announce his decision last Saturday but decided to postpone his choice and will now head to Eugene, Ore. for an official visit on Friday (April 30).

The 6-foot-7 Polee was considering UNLV, Georgia and St. John's and will add the Ducks to his list.

Also expected to visit UO on Friday is point guard Jon Loyd, who was a target of Altman's when he was the coach at Creighton.

"I got a call from Coach Altman right after he got hired at Oregon and said he really wants me to come out there with him to Oregon and do big things for the Ducks," said Loyd. "I wasn't getting much attention from Oregon before Altman, just maybe some mail here or there back when I was a sophomore but when he (Altman) was at Creighton I was hearing from him and so when he moved he gave me a call to see if I was interested."

Loyd says the Ducks have already offered him and now claims scholarships from Michigan State, Florida, George Washington, Northwestern, Washington State, UCLA, UNLV, Oklahoma, Creighton, Santa Clara, TCU and Virginia.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

uostudent wrote:Can we get back on topic? This thread is not about Altman vs. Ernie...

From ESPN (here)
link
New Oregon head coach Dana Altman has nailed down two high profile visitors for this weekend, reports ESPN.com affiliate http://www.DuckTerritory.com.

Senior small forward Dwayne Polee was supposed to announce his decision last Saturday but decided to postpone his choice and will now head to Eugene, Ore. for an official visit on Friday (April 30).

The 6-foot-7 Polee was considering UNLV, Georgia and St. John's and will add the Ducks to his list.

Also expected to visit UO on Friday is point guard Jon Loyd, who was a target of Altman's when he was the coach at Creighton.

"I got a call from Coach Altman right after he got hired at Oregon and said he really wants me to come out there with him to Oregon and do big things for the Ducks," said Loyd. "I wasn't getting much attention from Oregon before Altman, just maybe some mail here or there back when I was a sophomore but when he (Altman) was at Creighton I was hearing from him and so when he moved he gave me a call to see if I was interested."

Loyd says the Ducks have already offered him and now claims scholarships from Michigan State, Florida, George Washington, Northwestern, Washington State, UCLA, UNLV, Oklahoma, Creighton, Santa Clara, TCU and Virginia.

Getting both would be great, even getting one would be good. Just a few weeks ago, it looked like we had no chance at anyone.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

A recent story about Loyd from the Las Vegas Sun newspaper. Sounds like he is really considering Oregon since he's liked us and UNLV since his FR year.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/ap ... yd-042910/
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

greenyellow wrote:A recent story about Loyd from the Las Vegas Sun newspaper. Sounds like he is really considering Oregon since he's liked us and UNLV since his FR year.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/ap ... yd-042910/

Yeah, that article makes it seem like Loyd is down to UNLV and Oregon. Obviously I'm biased, but I think Eugene and Oregon would be a much better choice than Vegas and UNLV.
DarronThomas5
Four Star Recruit

Post by DarronThomas5 »

Nevada is home for him though and unlike us they were just in the tournament just last year as an 8 seed too which is pretty good.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DarronThomas1 wrote:Nevada is home for him though and unlike us they were just in the tournament just last year as an 8 seed too which is pretty good.
He does like Altman so maybe now that he's at a bigger school he'll consider Oregon. All they need to do is take him to the new arena and make him imagine what it will be like playing in a brand new arena.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Loyd's dad also played for UNLV.

It appears that his brother Michael is leaving BYU. I would love if we could get these two in a package. Michael has really improved as a player and would be a big upgrade over Garrett Sim.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_14985176

Provo » One of the most promising members of the BYU basketball team is leaving the program, coach Dave Rose announced Thursday afternoon.

Michael Loyd Jr., who would have been a junior next season, will complete his college basketball eligibility at another program, Rose said in a school news release.

"Michael and I have met several times and we have mutually decided he will continue his education and basketball career in another program," Rose said. "He has been a significant part of our success the last three seasons and we are grateful for his many contributions. As a staff we wish him the best and will do all we can to help Michael find a great situation."

Loyd's departure is a significant loss for the Cougars, especially after the way the Las Vegas product played at the end of the 2009-10 season.

Loyd was instrumental in BYU's late-season wins over Utah and Florida, and also helped the Cougars immensely in their close loss to nationally ranked New Mexico.

Against Florida, Loyd had a career-high 26 points in the 99-92 double-overtime win.

For the season, he averaged 5.1 points and 1.2 assists per game while shooting .528 from the field.

Loyd averaged 2.0 points and 1.2 assists as a freshman in 2007-08, then redshirted the following season.
DarronThomas5
Four Star Recruit

Post by DarronThomas5 »

uostudent wrote:Loyd's dad also played for UNLV.

It appears that his brother Michael is leaving BYU. I would love if we could get these two in a package. Michael has really improved as a player and would be a big upgrade over Garrett Sim.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_14985176

Provo » One of the most promising members of the BYU basketball team is leaving the program, coach Dave Rose announced Thursday afternoon.

Michael Loyd Jr., who would have been a junior next season, will complete his college basketball eligibility at another program, Rose said in a school news release.

"Michael and I have met several times and we have mutually decided he will continue his education and basketball career in another program," Rose said. "He has been a significant part of our success the last three seasons and we are grateful for his many contributions. As a staff we wish him the best and will do all we can to help Michael find a great situation."

Loyd's departure is a significant loss for the Cougars, especially after the way the Las Vegas product played at the end of the 2009-10 season.

Loyd was instrumental in BYU's late-season wins over Utah and Florida, and also helped the Cougars immensely in their close loss to nationally ranked New Mexico.

Against Florida, Loyd had a career-high 26 points in the 99-92 double-overtime win.

For the season, he averaged 5.1 points and 1.2 assists per game while shooting .528 from the field.

Loyd averaged 2.0 points and 1.2 assists as a freshman in 2007-08, then redshirted the following season.
If the Loyd's try to become a package deal I don't know if UNLV will work because I find it unlikely that BYU will grant Michael Loyd a release to a conference foe, especially a big time contender given that unlv, byu, and new mexico are really the only three big teams in the mountain west.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Mike Moser just signed with UNLV so thats something for Polee to consider. If we pulled in Polee & Loyd that would be a huge early success for Altman.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Wouldn't be surprised if Michael Loyd was kicked out of school after they found out that he had premarital sex, which is a violation of their "honor code" :roll:
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p ... &tb=1&pb=1

"First, though, this needs to be said: Loyd did not run afoul of the honor code, and he did not fail academically, either."

"BYU basketball spokesperson Kyle Chilton told me today that Loyd was “in good standing” as far as the university was concerned, meaning that he was fine academically and that there were no honor code issues."

"Loyd wasn’t forced out, but he was given some ultimatums in regards to behavior, dress and appearance that he apparently decided he just couldn’t abide by.
Let’s put it this way: showing up on national television with a mohawk haircut for BYU’s NCAA Tournament games, or playing against Utah with a tongue piercing, probably didn’t help his cause."

Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!