Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Where's the Meltdown?

Post by Boom »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Boom wrote:
greenyellow wrote:The only way there's any kind of meltdown on my part is if no recruits are signed this year and we go into the season with the roster as it is. I would hate to see Altman have to go into a season with only 9 players since he would have to use walk-ons to even get a 2-deep depth chart and then he would have 6 scholarships to fill next season. Kent's ineptitude over the last couple seasons could really come to bite this program in the butt for years to come. I think Altman is a good enough coach, though, to overcome Kent's mishandling of the program.
I love how people like to blame Kent for everything :roll:
Dude I know. The terrible class balance is all Kilkenny's fault. Not developing these players one bit is obviously Bellotti's fault & the losses? Those are on Phil Knight.

NOT.
Yes, class balance is an issue..... I'm not sure how Kent ended up in that cycle, but I know it wasn't intended.

Sometimes players have to take responsibility for there own development.......

The real mishandling has came from the way we fired Ernie Kent and how long it took us to hire a coach.

This has cost us players and recruits not the losses on the basketball court
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I blame Kent since he should have known better than to keep having to rely on one big class after another. It creates a boom and bust with each subsequent big class. Each class should be about 3-4 players each with maybe another player redshirting for development reasons. Hopefully Altman can get the classes balanced in the next couple of seasons. As far as the coaching search goes, Oregon was sort of handcuffed due to not being able to talk to coaches until after their seasons were done. The good coaches Oregon wanted to talk to were all in postseason play and they had to wait. A good coach gets their team into postseason play and I don't think anybody wanted them to hire a guy who hadn't been playing in a postseason tournament or was already out of a job. While it hurt to get lose Jones and to lesser extent Ross due to having no coach, Kent had to be replaced due to his continued inconsistency. I'll take one bad recruiting year in order to possibly get more wins and better recruiting down the line.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The only thing I believe was mis handled with the Kent firing was dumping Belloti before he had a chance to address the coaching search... The timing on that was ridiculous.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:The only thing I believe was mis handled with the Kent firing was dumping Belloti before he had a chance to address the coaching search... The timing on that was ridiculous.
Not having an AD really hurt the search since it does sound like some coaches they talked to were very hesitant to take a job without knowing who their coach was and having to do an interview with an outside party/booster instead of their potential boss.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

greenyellow wrote:I blame Kent since he should have known better than to keep having to rely on one big class after another. It creates a boom and bust with each subsequent big class. Each class should be about 3-4 players each with maybe another player redshirting for development reasons. Hopefully Altman can get the classes balanced in the next couple of seasons. As far as the coaching search goes, Oregon was sort of handcuffed due to not being able to talk to coaches until after their seasons were done. The good coaches Oregon wanted to talk to were all in postseason play and they had to wait. A good coach gets their team into postseason play and I don't think anybody wanted them to hire a guy who hadn't been playing in a postseason tournament or was already out of a job. While it hurt to get lose Jones and to lesser extent Ross due to having no coach, Kent had to be replaced due to his continued inconsistency. I'll take one bad recruiting year in order to possibly get more wins and better recruiting down the line.
Oh that's right, we had to wait for Creighton to finish with their tourney run...... :roll: :lol:

and I doubt we will ever have a chance to sign a better recruit than Terrance Jones.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Boom wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I blame Kent since he should have known better than to keep having to rely on one big class after another. It creates a boom and bust with each subsequent big class. Each class should be about 3-4 players each with maybe another player redshirting for development reasons. Hopefully Altman can get the classes balanced in the next couple of seasons. As far as the coaching search goes, Oregon was sort of handcuffed due to not being able to talk to coaches until after their seasons were done. The good coaches Oregon wanted to talk to were all in postseason play and they had to wait. A good coach gets their team into postseason play and I don't think anybody wanted them to hire a guy who hadn't been playing in a postseason tournament or was already out of a job. While it hurt to get lose Jones and to lesser extent Ross due to having no coach, Kent had to be replaced due to his continued inconsistency. I'll take one bad recruiting year in order to possibly get more wins and better recruiting down the line.
Oh that's right, we had to wait for Creighton to finish with their tourney run...... :roll: :lol:

and I doubt we will ever have a chance to sign a better recruit than Terrance Jones.
Well, I think their #1 target was Brad Stevens. I don't think they counted on Butler to play in the title game so that threw their timing off. They were probably working down the list that was given to them by Spencer Stuart and Stevens was #1 on the list so they waited. That probably was a bad thing but I guess they had to try and get him. While Altman didn't go far in postseason play, it doesn't exactly mean the search was botched, probably just delayed by some their targets still coaching in the postseason. Jones would have added a nice spark to this team and probably would have made fans a little more enthused about the team and new arena, but he wouldn't help this team develop long-term consistency, which is what Altman is here to do.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still think at the very least that the ducks can be an entertaining team to watch next season. Even without Porter, I think they can be better next season. Stay healthy, and have each player improve over last season.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still think at the very least that the ducks can be an entertaining team to watch next season. Even without Porter, I think they can be better next season. Stay healthy, and have each player improve over last season.
Without Porter to hog the ball, I think the offense will have more movement and balance to it. Players will now no longer look to Porter to do everything. Players like Wilson and Williams need to become the drivers and creators that they are instead of just standing around the perimeter and passing it. The team last year didn't seem to be aggressive on either end of the court and teams would really take advantage of that.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

greenyellow wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still think at the very least that the ducks can be an entertaining team to watch next season. Even without Porter, I think they can be better next season. Stay healthy, and have each player improve over last season.
Without Porter to hog the ball, I think the offense will have more movement and balance to it. Players will now no longer look to Porter to do everything. Players like Wilson and Williams need to become the drivers and creators that they are instead of just standing around the perimeter and passing it. The team last year didn't seem to be aggressive on either end of the court and teams would really take advantage of that.
Without a doubt. We will struggle next year but it will still be fun to watch the Ducks play some real BASKETBALL. Can't wait to see these kids actually running plays & playing defense. Dunigan may actually get the ball down low & have plays run specifically for him. Can't wait to see Wilson & Teondre coming off screens, cutting to the basket & making sick plays at the rim. A full court press that will create turnovers & give us tons of fast break opportunities... want me to keep going? I can't wait for next year, whether we have a great year or not.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Without a doubt. We will struggle next year but it will still be fun to watch the Ducks play some real BASKETBALL. Can't wait to see these kids actually running plays & playing defense. Dunigan may actually get the ball down low & have plays run specifically for him. Can't wait to see Wilson & Teondre coming off screens, cutting to the basket & making sick plays at the rim. A full court press that will create turnovers & give us tons of fast break opportunities... want me to keep going? I can't wait for next year, whether we have a great year or not.
I would rather have the team lose but stay competitive instead of win some games but get blown out every loss.
quackattack
Three Star Recruit

Post by quackattack »

from a talent standpoint, Dunigan (4*), Wilson (4*), Jacob (4* outta high school), Armstead (3*), Singler (3*), Williams (3*), Sim (3*), Catron (3*) when you compare us to the rest of the conf, only wash, zona, and ucla have better talent on their rosters based on recruiting. now i know 4* rating doesn't always translate to 4* ability, but i believe the talent is there for us to be in the mix with teams like arizona st & wash st and ahead of schools like cal, stanford, oregon st, usc.

we'll prob be picked toward the bottom of the conf, but if altman does even a decent job at coaching, with our skill, we should be around 4-6 in the conf. a superb job of coaching may bump us up to 3rd and a possible ncaa tourny appearance, but my expectations aren't that high. i do believe we should finish in the middle of the pack though.
nogerO
Senior

Water under the bridge...

Post by nogerO »

Let's get on with the Altman era!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

It would have been great to have Jones but the reality is he is probably one and done and had we kept Kent Jones would have underachieved and if he only stayed one year he would have served no purpose for the team since there would be no one else to help him in getting to the tournament. The long search hurt Oregon short term but long term I believe Altman will get the team winning again and pull in good recruits consistently. I just wish he would have went somewhere else other then Washington since we were unable to get him. Washington will be good and I hate that. Hopefully Altman can turn things around quickly and get the Ducks competitive again o we don't have to listen to the Purple Pansies up North.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

If the Ducks can move all the way up to 3rd in the PAC10 (Even a weak PAC10), Altman will be Coach of the Year.

Had these players been "coached up", there would already be a guy or 2 on the squad who could match up with the talent of a Terrance Jones.

Altman needs to instill some desire and discipline in these kids, to go along with the talent they already have.

Apathy sucks the life out of any team.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

I don't understand why people are trying to downplay Jones' talents. Even with your boy no tourney ernie, the ducks would have actually made the tourney with him. He's that good.

Hairston, Dunigan, Jamil Wilson. Those guys weren't ready made prospects. Terrance Jones is. The dude is such a unique player. He's 6'9" lefty, can shoot, dribble, pass, rebound, defend, leap outta the gym. He's one of the most well rounded ball players in the country. And he's a great leader. Nobody on the ducks' roster "coached up" would be better than T Jones.

Basically I don't think it would have mattered where the kid went. OSU, Wazzu, UO, I still believe he'd end up as the Pac10 POY. While they are two completely different players, I'd liken his impact to that of a K Love.

If he does indeed stick with UW, they are at least going to the final four.