Jon Loyd commits to Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Jon Loyd commits to Oregon

Post by greenyellow »

briarduck wrote:Loved Kenya so yes lets hope he has similar (or better) impact!

As far a worrying about star power I'm not too worried "coach" wanted him so that's good enough for me!

GO DUCKS!!
We got a good PG that can play together with Armstead or even give him a rest. Now all this team needs is a shooter, which is going to be tough to find this late in the recruiting cycle. The JC guy Tyrone Nared sounds promising as a shooter. Also, getting Polee would be a nice add to the athletic wings that we already have on the team (Wilson, Longmire, and Williams).
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Or Mike "Bulldog" Drummond... I'm not picky. Both of those guys were tenacious defenders, who practiced pass-first tactics, yet showed the ability to hit the clutch, dagger in the heart shots that could kill opponents dreams.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

So Loyd was the MVP of the Beach Ball Classic last December. Not familiar with that tourney I did some searching and found "Throughout the years, fans have had an opportunity to see past Beach Ball Classic players such as: Mike Bibby, Kobe Bryant, Rasheed Wallace, Kwame Brown, Kevin Garnett, Vince Carter, Michael Irwin, and two of our own local players, Raymond Felton and Ramon Sessions, rise to fame and grow up to play as professional basketball players." Rather impressive company for our young point guard. Further they estimate over 1,000,000 have attended the Classic in the past 15 years and 240,000,000 have watched on TV. It seems to be a fairly big event.
http://www.myrtlebeachalternatives.com/ ... tournament
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The only reason I am familiar with it is that my son and his best friend attended the tourney when in HS (As spectators... Players? Not! I wish!), and reported it was a great show (The best friend's Dad lives back there, and owns a condo on Myrtle Beach).

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

http://oregon.scout.com/a.z?s=128&p=8&c=1&nid=3777265

Looks like scout finally evaluated Loyd or he just moved up to a 3 star.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

That change happened overnight...

uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Yahoo(rivals)
Johnathan Loyd liked coach Dana Altman throughout the recruiting process but he wasn’t crazy about playing at Creighton or in the Missouri Valley Conference so it looked like the Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman point guard was headed in another direction.

Once Altman got the Oregon job, though, he got in contact with Loyd, who now wanted to listen because playing in the Pac-10 is big-time basketball and it had always been one of his favorite schools. Loyd has since committed to the Ducks and couldn’t be more excited about how things have turned out.

“Creighton had been recruiting me since about February and I liked the coaching staff and everything but I really didn’t want to play in that conference,” Loyd said.

“Then when they went to Oregon we talked the night he got the job and he said I should go to Oregon. That was one of the schools I wanted to go to since I was a freshman so that really sparked it.

“It’s a cool place, I liked everything about it, I liked the players, it’s not that far from home. It seemed like a perfect situation.”

The 5-foot-9, 165-pound point guard can score, distribute the basketball, find open teammates and defend - a solid pickup for the Ducks who’s excited about not only being able to stay closer to home but play in a more prestigious conference.

“It’s big,” Loyd said. “It’s one of the best conferences in the country and I get a chance to play in it for four years.”

More in the article

Seems like a great kid. I'm excited to see him play next year.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's amazing what a big school like Oregon can do for a coach's recruiting. Before Altman left Creighton, he couldn't get Loyd to look at them. Now that he's at Oregon, he can land players like Loyd. I don't think you can look at Altman's recruiting at Creighton to be a predictor of what's to come at Oregon. Big-time players aren't going to play at a small school in the MVC but will jump at a chance to play in a big-time conference like the Pac-10. To win in the MVC like he did with the players he had, imagine what he can do with the players that he can get at Oregon due to its inherent resources and location.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Hopefully, Altman can find high quality players who show the same high work ethic that he got from the guys he recruited to Creighton.

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

woundedknees wrote:Hopefully, Altman can find high quality players who show the same high work ethic that he got from the guys he recruited to Creighton.
Doesn't sound like you don't play if you don't have that ethic. And i dont
think he will be out worked either. You cant ask for more than that in
a coach.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

http://kohd.com/news/local/172619

Loyd talking about his decision to come to Oregon.
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:http://kohd.com/news/local/172619

Thanks for the link.

Too bad they could only find that one horrible clip of him throwing a half court pass that they played 4 times :P
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Autzenoise wrote:

Thanks for the link.

Too bad they could only find that one horrible clip of him throwing a half court pass that they played 4 times :P
:lol: I was thinking the same thing. The kid won 100+ games, 2 state titles & thats the only highlight you have of the kid?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Autzenoise wrote:

Thanks for the link.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. The kid won 100+ games, 2 state titles & thats the only highlight you have of the kid?
They could have at least shown a clip they found on Youtube. There are a couple on there that are better than the ones they showed.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Video of the game between #8 Mater Dei and #13 Bishop Gorman (National Rankings)... Watch #24 in white. The video is titled "Kickin It With Keala", so be patient. It takes a few seconds to get to the highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vgcqj1e4zw

Loyd displays quickness, ball handling skills, and a nice shooting touch.