Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

uostudent
Senior

Re: Jon Loyd commits to Oregon

Post by uostudent »

Boom wrote:
uostudent wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:
Boom wrote:I'm not overly excited about a 5-8 PG......

But I guess we needed a backup PG and he was the best one out there who wasn't already committed.

Isaih Thomas from Washington is also 5"8, and I'm sure I could find other successful short point guards.
Aaron Brooks is 5'10 (listed at 6')
Jerome Randle is listed at 5'10, but is closer to 5'9.
Nate Robinson is listed at 5'9, but is actually 5'8.
Jonny Flynn is 5'10 (listed at 6')
Chris Paul is 5'11 (listed at 6')
D.J. Augustin is 5'10 (listed at 6')
Jose Barea is closer to 5'9, then his listed height of 6'

The players listed above are great because of their quickness, shooting ability, and ball handling skills. It is definitely possible for a point guard to overcome being shorter than average, particularly in college.

Tajuan Porter is 5'5 1/2 and is NOT a point guard. Loyd has nothing in common with Porter other than the fact that he is below average in the height department. Loyd is a far superior playmaker.

Not every point guard is going to be built like Derrick Rose, Jason Kidd or Baron Davis.

Kamyron Brown is 6'2, but is not a good basketball player.
And this kid is listed at 5-8, but could be closer to 5-6, 5-7

All of those guys above are 2-3 inches taller and a couple of them are elite level athletes.

and yes 2-3 inches can make a huge difference in basketball.
He's listed at 5'10 on scout and 5'9 on rivals. He is likely 5'8. If you watch his videos, he definitely isn't as short as Porter.

Loyd has amazing handles, great quickness (his speed rivals elite athletes like Collison and Chris Paul) and a quick release. I don't think he'll have much trouble getting off his shot in college.

And UCLA fans were hoping that Howland would offer Loyd a few weeks ago....
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=5852286
Last edited by uostudent on Mon May 03, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Boom has a right to say he's hesitant, but I'm excited. Hopefully he'll be more like AI than TP.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Size doesn't always matter. There have been plenty of 7 foot players over the years that amounted to nothing. As long as a guy can play, I could care less how short/tall he is. Loyd should fit Altmans team perfectly, a guy that can run an up tempo offense.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

duck55 wrote:Boom, why the negative Nancy attitude? you don't like a Coach that you haven't seen coach yet and now you don't like his first recruit, who you haven't seen play. Why not just welcome Jon Loyd to the Ducks and hold the "told ya so's" till later if you are correct? I think it's a little petty to debate how tall someone is, rant over.
And I think it's petty to flame someone without adding anything to the discussion....

When have I ever said that I don't like coach Altman :roll:

and when have I ever posted a "told ya so's" post......

yes I like to debate, I try to be rational and reasonable. You don't have to be a homer to fan.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

uostudent wrote:Excellent pickup. This kid can play. I see he coming in and competing for immediate playing time. Don't be fooled by the three star rating, Loyd is going to be a productive college player. He also played CB/KR in high school and runs a 4.5 40. While he's a good shooter and lightening quick, he's a playmaker first. As I've stated in the past, he reminds a little bit of Jerome Randle.

Here's an article on his commitment
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/ma ... yd-050310/
Scroll down to the bottom to see comments from bitter UNLV fans...
Shhhhhhh!!!!! Don't tell Coach Kelly!!!!! :D
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:Size doesn't always matter. There have been plenty of 7 foot players over the years that amounted to nothing. As long as a guy can play, I could care less how short/tall he is. Loyd should fit Altmans team perfectly, a guy that can run an up tempo offense.
Loyd seems like a decent PG to run Altman's system. He seems to be a true PG as he averaged 8 assists per game this past season. Altman wouldn't have recruited Loyd if he didn't think he would fit in at Oregon. His offer list certainly makes you believe he can compete at this level.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

Boom wrote:
duck55 wrote:Boom, why the negative Nancy attitude? you don't like a Coach that you haven't seen coach yet and now you don't like his first recruit, who you haven't seen play. Why not just welcome Jon Loyd to the Ducks and hold the "told ya so's" till later if you are correct? I think it's a little petty to debate how tall someone is, rant over.
And I think it's petty to flame someone without adding anything to the discussion....

When have I ever said that I don't like coach Altman :roll:

and when have I ever posted a "told ya so's" post......

yes I like to debate, I try to be rational and reasonable. You don't have to be a homer to fan.
No intent to flame you, I apologize for that. I take back the things I said, having not slept for 30+ hours, I had a case of mistaken identity in my response to you. I actually agree with you about not being a homer to be a fan. In fact, I almost responded to that post till I noticed that I wrote it (or someone who got into my account). Again, my apologies to you for that post.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I'm pumped we got Loyd. He fills a big need & looks like a baller to me. Great pick up by Altman, hopefully that will catch Polee's eye & get him on board.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiti ... id=5125077

He's the 5-foot-9, two-sport bundle of energy chiseled into a sinewy frame that helped Las Vegas Bishop Gorman win 102 games in four seasons, including 60 in the last two. He was also a first-team all-state performer on the gridiron. (Loyd played defensive back and returned kicks.)

Loyd burst onto the national scene in December when he earned MVP honors at the 29th Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Loyd contributed 17 points and 4 steals as the Gaels topped Columbia (Decatur, Ga.), 54-52, in the final. His ballhandling skills evoked memories of Marques Haynes of the Harlem Globetrotters; his fearless approach reminded onlookers of a kick returner who loathes fair catches. (Loyd had six returns for touchdowns in 2009, earning him 4A first team all-state kudos as a special-teams player).
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Boom wrote:I'm not overly excited about a 5-8 PG......

But I guess we needed a backup PG and he was the best one out there who wasn't already committed.
I think Loyd will be a really good player. I think the reason you don't like short players is because you automatically think Tajuan Porter... But Loyd is a TRUE pg. He won't put up crazy points, but the assists, steals, and defense are things I'm sure duck fans will eventually appreciate from Jonathan.

And if anyone knows me, if we usually get a 2 star basketball commit, I'm usually criticizing. But Loyd is a four star in my eyes. Anytime you get offers from schools like Florida and Oklahoma, you know you are a good prospect.

And above all, his quickness/speed is supposed to be deadly. It'll be nice having that in our backcourt again.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I don't know if this is a good comparison, but I think of Venoy Overton from Washington when I think of Loyd. A quick guard that can give your team energy, some points, assists, steals and some solid minutes.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The things that keep coming up in the research I have done on Loyd are competitiveness, tenacity, character, and the fact that he has blown up at the all star games in which he has participated... A sign of how he will perform on the larger stage of college ball? Maybe.

Loyd has been a leader on a team that has won consistently for 4 years, 103 times as a starter, playing in the largest school classification in Nevada.

I can't guarantee Jon Loyd will succeed at the PAC 10 level, but a lot of the requisites seem to be in place.

Let's see what we think of Altman's talent evaluation and coaching ability in about 9 months. Truth is, that is when the proof will start to become apparent.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

duckgrad99 wrote:I don't know if this is a good comparison, but I think of Venoy Overton from Washington when I think of Loyd. A quick guard that can give your team energy, some points, assists, steals and some solid minutes.
If he is anything like Overton defensively that will be great for the team. I would hope that his offense is a better than Overton's. Venoy is not much of a shooter, and he's kind of reckless at times handling the ball. Still he's a pretty solid guy if he's on YOUR team, he seems to excel at getting under the opponent's skin.

Everything I've read about Loyd I like, and believe he will fit in quite nicely.
thegreenstain
Three Star Recruit

Post by thegreenstain »

Let's hope he has a career similar to another smallish Oregon point guard of the past, Kenya Wilkins.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Loved Kenya so yes lets hope he has similar (or better) impact!

As far a worrying about star power I'm not too worried "coach" wanted him so that's good enough for me!

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!