Page 1 of 2

Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:31 pm
by duckz
.... per MPrehms twitter.



scroll down to April 23 story

I found this just by digging around the net.



http://www.basketballelite.com/

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:32 pm
by duckgrad99
At first glance, I think we can do better. When is the last time a player averaged 10 points a game in high school and went on to be a star in the pac-10? I like that a lot of players are showing interest in Oregon, but a lot of them seem to be 2 and 3 star recruits. A few are fine, but to be successful in the pac-10 you need more "high profile" recruits.

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:40 pm
by greenyellow
I think he's intriguing since he just grew from 6'4 to 6'9" in the last 2 years and is just starting to grow into the SF/PF after playing as a wing for much of his life. He sounds like a project, but I think Altman can afford to take a chance since he wouldn't be counted on to be a starter or major contributor right away.

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:34 pm
by woundedknees
Give him a season to develop that body in Oregon's state of the art training facilities, and Moreland may become a much more intriguing prospect.

Those 5 new inches he grew in 2 seasons probably had a detrimental effect on Moreland's productivity. Unless you have experienced that quick growth spurt, it's hard to fathom how much effort it takes to adjust.

Here is some info on Moreland's time with Houston Preps last December, a HS Basketball Training facility).

http://www.houstonpreps.net/basketball-workouts.html

Look at the workouts between Dec. 2, 2009, and Dec. 20. There is also some video.

"The first order of business for “E-Mo” if he wants to be successful at the Division 1 level is to get stronger."

"Todays focus was on ballhandling. Moreland is a really gifted ballhandler for a 6’9 player and I focused on him making moves from the wing position handling the ball. We worked on various crossovers, combo moves, spins, in and outs, and pull-ups. He has all the potential in the world to play at the highest level if he really focuses on dedicates himself to working hard."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0tlYkhDPv0

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:50 pm
by greenyellow
woundedknees wrote:Give him a season to develop that body in Oregon's state of the art training facilities, and Moreland may become a much more intriguing prospect.

Those 5 new inches he grew in 2 seasons probably had a detrimental effect on Moreland's productivity. Unless you have experienced that quick growth spurt, it's hard to fathom how much effort it takes to adjust.

Here is some info on Moreland's time with Houston Preps last December, a HS Basketball Training facility).

http://www.houstonpreps.net/basketball-workouts.html

Look at the workouts between Dec. 2, 2009, and Dec. 20. There is also some video.

"The first order of business for “E-Mo” if he wants to be successful at the Division 1 level is to get stronger."

"Todays focus was on ballhandling. Moreland is a really gifted ballhandler for a 6’9 player and I focused on him making moves from the wing position handling the ball. We worked on various crossovers, combo moves, spins, in and outs, and pull-ups. He has all the potential in the world to play at the highest level if he really focuses on dedicates himself to working hard."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0tlYkhDPv0
He looks a little awkward while doing post moves and some of the drills but you can see the work ethic is there and really takes instruction well. His shot looks flat some times but is almost always on line and has decent form. Definitely a project right now, but easily could turn into a valuable contributor with good coaching.

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:18 pm
by uostudent
Looks like a huge project. Below average athleticism, really bad footwork around the basket, does not move well enough to play SF, and looks way to thin/fragile to play PF/C. I'm actually pretty amazed that UTEP offered him. He may be able to develop some decent midrange game, but I'd really prefer that we not offer this kid.

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:23 pm
by Boom
He looks a little stiff in that video he also get's minimal lift off the floor on his jump shots. Hopefully that was at the end of the work out and was really tired....... :lol: he also dribbles with his head down.

He does appear to have good length though

How many scholarships do we have to give? 3 this year and 2 next year?

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:35 pm
by duck55
[quote="woundedknees"]Give him a season to develop that body in Oregon's state of the art training facilities, and Moreland may become a much more intriguing prospect.

Wounded, that comes pretty close to a profanity when you put those 2 words together. :lol:

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:52 pm
by woundedknees
Oregon State's Training Facility is a concrete cinder block enclosure next to a golf course outside Corvallis. I hear they have security issues.

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:47 am
by oregontrack
I guess I'm confused. The article linked at the top of this thread says that he's being pursued by Oklahoma and Texas, that he's 6-9 with good handles and a nice jumper. Is there anyone here qualified to say that he's not worth our time, or are people just writing him off because he didn't score 30 PPG in HS?

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:22 am
by duckgrad99
oregontrack wrote:I guess I'm confused. The article linked at the top of this thread says that he's being pursued by Oklahoma and Texas, that he's 6-9 with good handles and a nice jumper. Is there anyone here qualified to say that he's not worth our time, or are people just writing him off because he didn't score 30 PPG in HS?

Because he is a project, and every recruit you go after shouldn't be questionable. Maybe Moreland works out, but would he have even gotten a look under the old coaching staff? To Ernie Kents credit, he did bring in some top recruits to Oregon. I believe that if we want to get back to winning under Altman, we cannot settle for all 2-3 star recruits or projects. That might work at Creighton, but the bar has been raised at Oregon. At some point, I hope we can bring in 4 star players. I think we need to be more picky, especially with what, 5 scholarships to give out over the next 2 seasons?

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:42 am
by greenyellow
duckgrad99 wrote:
oregontrack wrote:I guess I'm confused. The article linked at the top of this thread says that he's being pursued by Oklahoma and Texas, that he's 6-9 with good handles and a nice jumper. Is there anyone here qualified to say that he's not worth our time, or are people just writing him off because he didn't score 30 PPG in HS?

Because he is a project, and every recruit you go after shouldn't be questionable. Maybe Moreland works out, but would he have even gotten a look under the old coaching staff? To Ernie Kents credit, he did bring in some top recruits to Oregon. I believe that if we want to get back to winning under Altman, we cannot settle for all 2-3 star recruits or projects. That might work at Creighton, but the bar has been raised at Oregon. At some point, I hope we can bring in 4 star players. I think we need to be more picky, especially with what, 5 scholarships to give out over the next 2 seasons?
We have at least 3 to use this year as Porter, Wiley and Humphrey have left with Crittle possibly on the fence but maybe leaning towards staying. While there'll only be 2 after the 2011 season, we'll have 6 to use after the 2012 season with the big JR class leaving so I think Altman can afford to take a chance or two since it's very rare to have all 13 scholarship players actually in the rotation and the JR class will get a bulk of those minutes.

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 am
by dthomas=ddixon
duckgrad99 wrote:
oregontrack wrote:I guess I'm confused. The article linked at the top of this thread says that he's being pursued by Oklahoma and Texas, that he's 6-9 with good handles and a nice jumper. Is there anyone here qualified to say that he's not worth our time, or are people just writing him off because he didn't score 30 PPG in HS?

Because he is a project, and every recruit you go after shouldn't be questionable. Maybe Moreland works out, but would he have even gotten a look under the old coaching staff? To Ernie Kents credit, he did bring in some top recruits to Oregon. I believe that if we want to get back to winning under Altman, we cannot settle for all 2-3 star recruits or projects. That might work at Creighton, but the bar has been raised at Oregon. At some point, I hope we can bring in 4 star players. I think we need to be more picky, especially with what, 5 scholarships to give out over the next 2 seasons?
With Altman as our coach, I would actually like to see us go after some "projects" or "sleepers". Unlike Ernie he'll actually be able to develop these guys.

And you have to realize, Altman really needs to fill some schollies but is way late in the game. All thats left are projects & under the radar guys. How many 4*s did we get in the past 4 or 5 years under Kent? .... two? I think Dunigan & Wilson were the only ones.

Kent was such a "great" recruiter but he still didn't do very good in the past 5 years. We're coming off back to back 9th & 10th place finishes in conference, we are not a good program right now. We aren't going to be able to pull in a class full of 4 & 5*s. Altman is going to have to get us back to winning & making tourney appearences before that can be expected. It's too bad unrealistic standards & expectations are already being piled on Altman.

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:41 am
by duckfan22
Coach Altman has a couple of assistant coaching vacancies open
and those here that are good at judging talent in recruits from a
you tube video, might want to apply and you just might become an
assistant coach at oregon.

Re: Eric Moreland (poss. recent visitor)

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:53 am
by oregontrack
duckgrad99 wrote:Because he is a project
Who isn't, save for the elites?
and every recruit you go after shouldn't be questionable.
I don't know what this means. We've signed one guy, a point guard who had an impressive list of schools after him. The first rule of Fight Club is that you don't look at the stars behind a kid's name, you look at the caliber of schools that think the kid is worthwhile. Texas and Oklahoma obviously see something in him.
Maybe Moreland works out, but would he have even gotten a look under the old coaching staff?
But why would anyone want to use the Ernie Kent standard?
To Ernie Kents credit, he did bring in some top recruits to Oregon. I believe that if we want to get back to winning under Altman, we cannot settle for all 2-3 star recruits or projects.
Meh. We signed a coach after LOI Day. We get who we can get who the staff thinks can help the team this year. We swing for the fences later. This is a salvage job, and shouldn't be judged according to the standards of schools who have had coaches chasing after recruits for 3-4 years.
That might work at Creighton, but the bar has been raised at Oregon. At some point, I hope we can bring in 4 star players.
It doesn't matter. We need basketball players, not neat looking recruits. Recruiting is as inexact a science as there is in sports. There may not have been a bigger project in the Pac-10 in the last half dozen years than Drew Wiley, and he was a 4 star HS recruit. I watched the kid play all throughout HS, and couldn't believe the Duck fans who were drooling over a "4 star wing player!!" Problem is, he couldn't play basketball, despite being tall and a decent shooter. The staff knows what it's doing, most fans do not.
I think we need to be more picky, especially with what, 5 scholarships to give out over the next 2 seasons?
To be fair, I doubt Altman is planning on wasting a scholarship just for the sake of wasting a scholarship, like Ernie liked to do. Altman's job is riding on how the team performs, and he's been doing this a long time. If he doesn't think a certain player will help out, he won't extend an offer.