Page 1 of 1
Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:42 pm
by USUaggieDuck
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:01 pm
by greenyellow
I would say Oregon's transition from one coach to another has been a disaster that has no peer in college basketball right now. I think that all the things that had festered in Kent's final years have finally boiled over and Altman is left to deal with the mess. The short-term will be ugly, but the program will be better in the long-term if Altman can weather the first few years and build a better foundation with solid recruiting and coaching.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:06 pm
by UOducksTK1
It's hard to think of anything worse to be honest. I mean we have 8 guys on our roster, that's not good.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:26 am
by maxduck
UOducksTK1 wrote:It's hard to think of anything worse to be honest. I mean we have 8 guys on our roster, that's not good.
Oregon State woman's basketball was down to two returning players and a couple incoming freshmen. They had to scramble to find enough bodies to field a team.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:32 am
by duck55
So the 2 worst situations (top men's and women's) were both here in the State of Oregon.
Still competing with the Bark Rats, even in this area.
I believe we will recover a little faster on this one.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 pm
by 73CAV
While the situation at Oregon is rare, it has happened elsewhere. I cannot remember the numbers, except to say that they weren't terribly different, but when Pete Gillen replaced Jeff Jones as UVa's basketball coach, he didn't have many returning players, either. He had to hold open try-outs in order to get enough bodies to scrimmage. Among other things, Jones record in '97/'98 was a dismal 11-19. This was largely due to unexpected attrition within the program. Earlier two players had been dismissed from school for Honor Code violations (shoplifting), a particularly high profile center was not admitted after an felony assault conviction, and a starting point guard was dismissed from the team after he beat up his girl friend (he transferred to Fresno State). Jones was left with a roster of journeymen players, and the results were terrible. When Gillen was hired, the exodus continued. If I remember correctly, five students made the team during those open trials. One, a 6'8" bartender became a crowd favorite, even though his basketball skills were not considerable.
The ''98/'99 season was difficult, but the fans recognized the difficulties and supported the team. Effort, regardless of its product, was applauded. The fact that Gillen had signed an outstanding recruiting class helped, as it was felt that the future would be very bright. That wasn't necessarily so, but it got us through the rough patches. I have no doubts that Altman will also have open try-outs. If, or when, one of those walk-ons steps on the floor, I think you may find yourselves cheering louder than ever. There's a Thermopylae-like quality to the whole thing. Regardless of the record, you may find it very uplifting.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:51 pm
by greenyellow
73CAV wrote:While the situation at Oregon is rare, it has happened elsewhere. I cannot remember the numbers, except to say that they weren't terribly different, but when Pete Gillen replaced Jeff Jones as UVa's basketball coach, he didn't have many returning players, either. He had to hold open try-outs in order to get enough bodies to scrimmage. Among other things, Jones record in '97/'98 was a dismal 11-19. This was largely due to unexpected attrition within the program. Earlier two players had been dismissed from school for Honor Code violations (shoplifting), a particularly high profile center was not admitted after an felony assault conviction, and a starting point guard was dismissed from the team after he beat up his girl friend (he transferred to Fresno State). Jones was left with a roster of journeymen players, and the results were terrible. When Gillen was hired, the exodus continued. If I remember correctly, five students made the team during those open trials. One, a 6'8" bartender became a crowd favorite, even though his basketball skills were not considerable.
The ''98/'99 season was difficult, but the fans recognized the difficulties and supported the team. Effort, regardless of its product, was applauded. The fact that Gillen had signed an outstanding recruiting class helped, as it was felt that the future would be very bright. That wasn't necessarily so, but it got us through the rough patches. I have no doubts that Altman will also have open try-outs. If, or when, one of those walk-ons steps on the floor, I think you may find yourselves cheering louder than ever. There's a Thermopylae-like quality to the whole thing. Regardless of the record, you may find it very uplifting.
Thanks for the story of a similar situation. If UVa can recover, then I'm sure Oregon can, too.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:58 pm
by woundedknees
Duck fans havebeen supportive of walk-ons even in the best of times... for at least the next season, that may be the lifeblood of this team.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:15 pm
by greenyellow
woundedknees wrote:Duck fans havebeen supportive of walk-ons even in the best of times... for at least the next season, that may be the lifeblood of this team.
One of my favorite walk-ons while I was going to school was Adrian Stelly. I had a couple business classes with him and he was a pretty cool guy.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:32 pm
by woundedknees
Some of those walkons have been decent contributors, albeit in limited action.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:11 pm
by BillM
Trouble with our walk-ons is they are hurt. Elorriaga is on crutches after surgery and Fearn has a hand injury. Coach Westhead's grandson is joining the team as a walk-on.
Re: Oregon's offseason nation's worst
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:18 pm
by UOducksTK1
maxduck wrote:UOducksTK1 wrote:It's hard to think of anything worse to be honest. I mean we have 8 guys on our roster, that's not good.
Oregon State woman's basketball was down to two returning players and a couple incoming freshmen. They had to scramble to find enough bodies to field a team.
Haha I remember that, wasn't that just a year or two ago? Anyway, I assumed we were talking about men's college basketball.