Page 1 of 1
OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:52 pm
by buckmarkduck
Wow, micro fracture again. Wonder if he should just take his money and find another line of work, at this rate he wont be able to walk at 50.
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index ... g_ode.html
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:47 pm
by gofightingducks
Portland should have drafted Durant. Portland has bad luck with drafting players
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 pm
by uostudent
Crazy. Kevin Durant is the best college player I've ever seen in my lifetime. I didn't buy the "you need a dominant defensive big man to win a championship" argument. If that's the case, acquire that type of player through trade or free agency. Durant was clearly the better player in college.
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:07 pm
by wvduck34
Not to belittle the magnitude of this surprising event, but who cares?? Blazers have bigger concerns
than Oden, Brandon Roy's knee for example. I swear that franchise is cursed.
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:33 pm
by Boom
Both are big concerns, but Portland's chances in developing into a title team rests squarely on Oden's shoulders. He was the best player on that roster before he blew out his kneecap...... and he still wasn't 100% at that time.
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:51 pm
by bellsduck
gofightingducks wrote:Portland should have drafted Durant. Portland has bad luck with drafting players
Hindsight's always 20/20. 29 out of 30 GM's thought Oden was the correct pick at that time.
I think Portland is cursed though.
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:37 am
by woundedknees
Sam Bowie, anyone?
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:17 am
by thomas time
If there's any good news out of it it''s that the blazers weren't going to contend for the title if Greg came back in December or January. He's still only 22 I think so maybe he has another comeback, one can only hope eventually he will stay healthy. It will be interesting to see what kind of offeres he gets from other teams, hopefully blazers can get a two or three year low contract at a low cost. I'm still holding out for hope, I know I'm one of a few probably and probably crazy.
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:00 am
by gofightingducks
woundedknees wrote:Sam Bowie, anyone?
That is what I was getting at. Portland as whiffed on probably the 2 biggest #1 picks ever.
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:11 am
by maxduck
gofightingducks wrote:woundedknees wrote:Sam Bowie, anyone?
That is what I was getting at. Portland as whiffed on probably the 2 biggest #1 picks ever.
Don't forget LaRue Martin (LaRue Who in one local headline), drafted #1 over players such as Dr J and Bob McAdoo. And let's not forget when they traded away Moses Malone for a draft pick. Or drafting Mychal Thompson over Larry Bird.
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:28 am
by Boom
It's hard to predict injuries......
I think the most egregious draft pick/move by the Blazers was trading down in the 2005 draft passing up on Chris Paul & Derron Williams so that they could draft a highschooler known as Martel Webster (who they recently traded so that they could move up in the draft to select Luke Babbit

)
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 pm
by pdxduck
gofightingducks wrote:woundedknees wrote:Sam Bowie, anyone?
That is what I was getting at. Portland as whiffed on probably the 2 biggest #1 picks ever.
Hakeem Olujawon was #1 the year Bowie was picked. Jordan went #3. Of course in hindsight Jordan would have been a better pick, but the Blazers did have a future HOF guard in Clyde Drexler. But don't let facts get in the way of your rant.
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:03 pm
by greenyellow
pdxduck wrote:gofightingducks wrote:woundedknees wrote:Sam Bowie, anyone?
That is what I was getting at. Portland as whiffed on probably the 2 biggest #1 picks ever.
Hakeem Olujawon was #1 the year Bowie was picked. Jordan went #3. Of course in hindsight Jordan would have been a better pick, but the Blazers did have a future HOF guard in Clyde Drexler. But don't let facts get in the way of your rant.
There are still rumors that Drexler didn't want to share PT and the ball with MJ so that's why they went with Bowie. Drexler will never admit to it but I think that was the case.
Re: OT: Greg Oden done for year...again
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:09 pm
by oregontrack
I disagree, Clyde was coming off his rookie year and if Doctor Jack told him to share the ball, Clyde would have shared the ball. I think Portland was looking for their new Bill Walton, and Sam Bowie was an All American who everybody thought was the potential missing piece on Portland's roster. Obviously, that didn't materialize. Bowie was the smart choice, however dubious that sounds in hindsight.
Oden was the only pick Portland could have made... if Seattle had won the lottery that year, they'd have taken Oden, too, and we'd have Kevin Durant right now. Just how the cookie crumbles. A player like Oden will always, always get drafted over a gifted wing player like KD.