Page 1 of 1

Jabari Long Term

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:46 pm
by dthomas=ddixon
http://swishscout.com/?p=2435

He’s not the best guard in the nation. He’s not the best shooter in the nation. He’s not even the best NBA prospect in the nation. Swishscout.com has him ranked 17th on their prospect big board, while similar recruiting services have a similar read on his stock in the 2011 prep class. Then what makes Jabari Brown’s commitment so valuable? Unlike many of the players ranked ahead of him, Brown is the surest long-term investment that a program has right now.

This writer seems to think Jabari will be a 3-4 year guy in college (actually calls him the most valuable recruit of 2011). For whatever reason I've felt like he will end up here for a few years also. He's not the physical specimen or athletic freak that you usually need to be a one & done'r. He's a great shooter & pretty physical tho. And he's not that "all about me" type guy either, he doesn't seem to be consumed with getting to the NBA & making money as soon as possible. All that adds up to what I think could be a fairly long stint (2-3 maybe 4 years) here for Jabari. It may just be wishfull thinking on my part though haha.


Here's another pod cast with Dave Telep, National Basketball Recruiting Analyst for ESPN, talking about our class: http://www.541radio.com/DUCKS-HAUL-IN-T ... SS/8605446

Re: Jabari Long Term

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:10 am
by Boom
How many 6-3 SG's are in the NBA? You have to have elite athleticism & skills to make it in the NBA as a tweener.

I think Jabari could potentially be a great college player (If he works hard).

But I agree that there is little to no chance that he's a one & done type player.

Re: Jabari Long Term

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:29 am
by uostudent
Boom wrote:How many 6-3 SG's are in the NBA? You have to have elite athleticism & skills to make it in the NBA as a tweener.

I think Jabari could potentially be a great college player (If he works hard).

But I agree that there is little to no chance that he's a one & done type player.
Scout has Jabari as 6'5 200 and rivals has him as 6'4 205.

To answer your question (smaller guards):
Dwyane Wade 6'4
Eric Gordon 6'3
Ben Gordon 6'3
Monta Ellis 6'3
Luther Head 6'3
Jason Terry 6'2
George Hill 6'2

Addressing the bolded part of your post - yes and no. As you see the list is a mix of great athletes (Wade, E. Gordon, Ellis), great shooters (B. Gordon, Terry, Head) and a very solid all around player (Hill).

From what I've seen of Jabari, the guy is a great shooter and a very good athlete. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of a mix between Eric Gordon and O.J. Mayo. I definitely don't think he is a one and done type of player, nor is he likely to stay four years. I see him as a 2 year guy, with the possibility of staying 3 (maybe he'll want to get his degree, advance further in the tourney, etc.)

Re: Jabari Long Term

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:30 am
by Boom
^ ESPN and that article list him at 6-3, I guess we will find out when he gets on campus.

Jason Terry was an elite athlete (probably still is) when he came into the league.

Luther head is a PG who has had a crappy career and a terrible example to compare a player against to see if they are one and done material (original point of the thread)

And George Hill, like the others...... Is an elite athlete. He has an amazing 6-9 reach with exceptional quickness/speed to go with a 37.5 inch vertical. His measurables are almost identical to Eric Gordon's.

I'm not saying he cant make it into the NBA...... just saying it takes a special athlete with combo guard skills (Westbrook,Gordon,Bayless) to leave college early at his height (6-4 or under)

Re: Jabari Long Term

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:56 am
by buckmarkduck
Mops has also said that Jabari is really 6'3 not 6'5 like some places had him listed.

Re: Jabari Long Term

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:26 pm
by greenyellow
I'm so glad we got him since he'll provide much needed athleticism and shooting. I sure hope he stays at least 3 years since by that time, Altman should have the roster full and possibly have his team ready for a NCAA Tournament appearance.

Re: Jabari Long Term

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:03 pm
by uostudent
Boom wrote:^ ESPN and that article list him at 6-3, I guess we will find out when he gets on campus.

Jason Terry was an elite athlete (probably still is) when he came into the league.

Luther head is a PG who has had a crappy career and a terrible example to compare a player against to see if they are one and done material (original point of the thread)

And George Hill, like the others...... Is an elite athlete. He has an amazing 6-9 reach with exceptional quickness/speed to go with a 37.5 inch vertical. His measurables are almost identical to Eric Gordon's.

I'm not saying he cant make it into the NBA...... just saying it takes a special athlete with combo guard skills (Westbrook,Gordon,Bayless) to leave college early at his height (6-4 or under)
Fair enough, I wasn't claiming that Luther Head was a great player, but he has managed to stay in the league and be a fairly productive player. Head is actually Sacramento's starting SG. He played SG in college too.