A&M to the SEC talk heating up again

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: A&M to the SEC talk heating up again

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:I'm not religious, but I don't understand schools like UO, Cal and CU all full of supposed "open minded" staff and students, yet they would never allow a religious school in the Pac-12. If you want people to be accepting then show some acceptance yourself, or your just as narrow minded as those that you tell to open their minds.

TCU would have been a great school to add to the Pac, we missed the boat there. I can tell you athletically they run circles around CU right now, and it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon. And honestly isn't all this expansion about the all mighty $. What brings in more money, CU with 50k stadium and winning 4-5 games a year, or TCU with a stadium about the same size, but close to Dallas, and if they where in the Pac it could easily expand and they win 9-11 games a year.
It's the double standard that they have when it comes to religion, academics, and tolerance. If anything, they shouldn't have anything to fear from a religion-affiliated school since most academic subjects are very cut and dry and aren't easily influenced by religion, with only certain biological sciences, political science, and ethnic studies possibly being affected.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:atheist's nightmare: banannas!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akc5w_ZqByY

or peanut butter!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504
:lol:
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Mike Seaver was all over that demonstration.
ImageImageImageImageImage
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

buckmarkduck wrote:I'm not religious, but I don't understand schools like UO, Cal and CU all full of supposed "open minded" staff and students, yet they would never allow a religious school in the Pac-12. If you want people to be accepting then show some acceptance yourself, or your just as narrow minded as those that you tell to open their minds.

TCU would have been a great school to add to the Pac, we missed the boat there. I can tell you athletically they run circles around CU right now, and it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon. And honestly isn't all this expansion about the all mighty $. What brings in more money, CU with 50k stadium and winning 4-5 games a year, or TCU with a stadium about the same size, but close to Dallas, and if they where in the Pac it could easily expand and they win 9-11 games a year.
Not sure if there are other factors at play beyond religion in regard to TCU. But +1.

What do people think would happen? If TCU joined the Pac, they would then be forced to see the pope once a year in order to get season tickets to the Ducks? The religious aspect would have little to no consequence to anyone.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

wheaton4prez wrote:

Not sure if there are other factors at play beyond religion in regard to TCU. But +1.

What do people think would happen? If TCU joined the Pac, they would then be forced to see the pope once a year in order to get season tickets to the Ducks? The religious aspect would have little to no consequence to anyone.
Some academic people at certain schools (namely Cal and Stanford) have problems with any type of religion, no matter if they've done anything wrong.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Yeah. I put symbolic opposition in the category of "little to no consequence to anyone."
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

I see Texas more likely to go independent rather than join the pac
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

PAC-16

Northern Division

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Standford
Cal
Utah
Colorado

Southern Division

U$C
UCLA
ASU
UA
Mizzou
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Texas Tech

I'd be good with that as our Super Conference.

It's only a matter of time before there are 4 Super Conferences-64 teams with each conferences' Champion participating in a 3 game playoff for the natty.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:PAC-16

Northern Division

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Standford
Cal
Utah
Colorado

Southern Division

U$C
UCLA
ASU
UA
Mizzou
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Texas Tech

I'd be good with that as our Super Conference.

It's only a matter of time before there are 4 Super Conferences-64 teams with each conferences' Champion participating in a 3 game playoff for the natty.
I think we (p12 schools) would go with the old Pac 8 as a "west/coast" division, and use the new guys for the "east/plains" division
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Tough to see Oklahoma and Oklahoma State leaving Texas.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

wheaton4prez wrote:Tough to see Oklahoma and Oklahoma State leaving Texas.
Yea, but with UT looking like they want to go independent, OU and OSU may just get left out the picture altogether.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Maybe. Though, it seems like a lot of Texas' TV value involves their various rivalries. They have a lot of them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Longhorns#Rivalries

I don't think they want to be separated from those.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Rather see the PAC8/PAC Com Lately split.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!