USC: The Dream is Over

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Sorry -- just can't help myself here. All that preseason hype, Mr. Barkley's "unfinished business" . . . it's all gone. I mean, all of that was probably effectively gone after their loss to the Cardinal, but their NC dreams still hadn't received the knockout blow. Now they have. And with Barkley gone next year, and the effect of the sanctions probably taking hold even more on them . . . it might just be a few years, even with continued great recruiting classes, for them to be a factor in the national picture again. And I also wonder if, at some point, it will become clear even to the SC faithful that Kiffin just isn't that great of a football coach. And related to that, perhaps it will also begin to dawn on recruits that USC may not be the place to fulfill their dreams after all . . .
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: USC: The Dream is Over

Post by Bud Lee »

That loss hurt you all a lot, with USC and Little brother dropping out of the top ten and losing to unranked opponents your strength of scedule and hopes for a "signature" win against an opponent ranked in single digits has also gone out the door last night. I hate to say it, but Notre Dame or Kansas State may end up jumping y'all before this is over.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Biggus Duckus wrote:I'm actually hoping we play UCLA in the conference championship now.

To me playin a what will hopefully be a two loss UCLA for the first time would be your best matchup...much better than paying what could be a three loss USC or a Arizona for a second time.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Bud Lee wrote:That loss hurt you all a lot, with USC and Little brother dropping out of the top ten and losing to unranked opponents your strength of scedule and hopes for a "signature" win against an opponent ranked in single digits has also gone out the door last night. I hate to say it, but Notre Dame or Kansas State may end up jumping y'all before this is over.
Our SOS goes up nicely from Arizona and Washington beating top 10 opponents, so the Ducks' will get a lift from those two games, and STILL most likely get a decent bump when we face the Trojans and later the Beavers. (Also remember: When USC or Stanford lose to another Duck opponent, that hurts ND's ultimate SOS WITHOUT hurting the Ducks'.) As far as a "signature win" goes for the voters in the coaches' and Harris polls, you could be right, but we need to see the rest of the season play itself out. The Beavers could still win their remainder before they meet the Ducks and be back in the top 10 at Civil War time.
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

That dream is over, but there's time for new dreams...starting next week.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Braveheart wrote:That dream is over, but there's time for new dreams...starting next week.
You guys going to get up for us like your superbowl against colorado?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

karlhungis wrote:
Braveheart wrote:That dream is over, but there's time for new dreams...starting next week.

Colorado? You mean Alabama? :|
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Braveheart wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

Well played, bro. :lol:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm actually hoping we play UCLA in the conference championship now.
I was wondering who the best team for us to face in the Pac-12 title game might be. Probably UCLA, or maybe Arizona? I would think getting a win over UCLA would give us more leverage in the computer programs.

Pretty sure the Pac-12 has five teams ranked in the AP poll... crazy that our conference doesn't get more respect, especially given how nicely our teams cleaned up against teams from other conferences, including Wisconsin and Oklahoma State.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

pezsez1 wrote:
I was wondering who the best team for us to face in the Pac-12 title game might be. Probably UCLA, or maybe Arizona? I would think getting a win over UCLA would give us more leverage in the computer programs.

Pretty sure the Pac-12 has five teams ranked in the AP poll... crazy that our conference doesn't get more respect, especially given how nicely our teams cleaned up against teams from other conferences, including Wisconsin and Oklahoma State.
We'd get more respect if every team played 4 patsies and only 8 conference games like the SEC. Then, our out-of-conference record would look MUCH better (more games, more wins). We'd also have to schedule more home games against those easy teams, never leaving our home stadiums. Also, nobody would be able to judge us outside of our conference games..."we're just so tough, we keep beating each other up...but we won all our non-conference games". That's how you get more teams from one conference in the top 10. :roll:
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

AutzenMember wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

We'd get more respect if every team played 4 patsies and only 8 conference games like the SEC. Then, our out-of-conference record would look MUCH better (more games, more wins). We'd also have to schedule more home games against those easy teams, never leaving our home stadiums. Also, nobody would be able to judge us outside of our conference games..."we're just so tough, we keep beating each other up...but we won all our non-conference games". That's how you get more teams from one conference in the top 10. :roll:
Is a shame that you came to know the truths dark side with only a year left in the BCS....
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Braveheart wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

After kicking the crap out of Alabama, I can see why you shat the bed against Arizona! ;)
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

At this point if I was a SC fan, I would be rooting for Kiffin to get his ass kicked weekly. He is, outside of Emery, the worst HC in the conference right now IMO. The guy only cares about recruiting and useless personal awards, he's not a winner. Drop Kelly into SC and may never lose a game, not that he would take the gig, but you get the point.