Oregon @ Oregon State Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Oregon @ Oregon State Thread

Post by alabamaduck »

Do we even have a hoop team this year? I thought the season ended after the trip to Maui!
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

The defense for struggles at coaching are his recruiting and ncaa tourney/elite 8 appearances...we've had coaches here that were great game coaches and teachers...we didn't go to ncaa tourney's and elite 8's...I'm sorry but i'm not satisfied with being mediocre all the time...I'd rather have a coach that recruits well enough for us to be really really good sometimes instead of can't like we've always had...I know you may be to young to realize but this year was a normal year for the Oregon program 10 years ago where every game we were expected to lose and any win was an upset and a suprise...Please tell my why you think there's a coach that we could feasibly get that would do better...And don't tell me Mark Few...He wouldn't do anywhere near as well and thats been discussed and agreed upon multiple times
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Are you related to EK or something?
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

alabamaduck wrote:Do we even have a hoop team this year? I thought the season ended after the trip to Maui!

Haha, good point. It's funny you should bring that up. When I watched that game against Alabama, Oregon played well, loose and was exciting to watch. What has happened since then? Sure we have played some better teams, but we have also not looked together as a team. I do think we will be better next season, but a good program should never have a year like we are currently having.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

pudgejeff wrote:The defense for struggles at coaching are his recruiting and ncaa tourney/elite 8 appearances...we've had coaches here that were great game coaches and teachers...we didn't go to ncaa tourney's and elite 8's...I'm sorry but i'm not satisfied with being mediocre all the time...I'd rather have a coach that recruits well enough for us to be really really good sometimes instead of can't like we've always had...I know you may be to young to realize but this year was a normal year for the Oregon program 10 years ago where every game we were expected to lose and any win was an upset and a suprise...Please tell my why you think there's a coach that we could feasibly get that would do better...And don't tell me Mark Few...He wouldn't do anywhere near as well and thats been discussed and agreed upon multiple times

We already have 9 conference losses. That's nothing like what it was 10 years ago. In fact, we finished 8-10 in Kent's first two years here.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

pudgejeff wrote:The top 25 poll means nothing...It's called an east coast biased and no matter how good teams are out here we don't get any respect in the polls...And I disagree with you very much...The pac-10 is a very guard oriented conference this year and that's what gets you through the NCAA tournament...I feel like you guys don't watch any basketball you just watch ESPN and think what they tell you to think
You ask for evidence and then make excuses when it's presented... Okay, so who from the Pac-10 do you think is underrated? How bout this time you actually back up your claims, instead of just complain about unsubstantiated statements. Who's getting screwed by East coast bias? Who's a legit contender from our conference for the NC?
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

I think there are quite a few young coaches out there coaching for smaller programs (Gonzaga, Xavier, Butler) who would probably be interested in coaching at Oregon. I don't think we should keep a coach around based on a couple of good years that he had. If you look at the talent the Ducks had during those two elite 8 runs, they actually underachieved, they should have made more than two deep tournament runs and look at last years talented senior class and how poor they did (they got lucky to get a tournament bid). As for the great recruiter Ernie is, it sounds like Kenny Payne is the one who has the connections and does most of the successful recruiting. Maybe Payne would make a good coach, who knows, all I know is Kent has done some good things for the program but this years team is either highly overrated and didn't deserve to be a top 12 class or Kent is not coaching and developing these guys. I think it is his coaching based on last year's performance of the team. I say give him until his contract runs out and then bring in somebody else. Oregon is the laughing stock of the PAC-10 and will probably not win a single game and that is on Kent not the youth of the team.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

That's another thing that never gets brought up. If we actually had a good coach, how many more tournament runs would we have? I seriously think we would have 4-5 sweet 16/elite 8 runs & maybe a final 4.

Look at last years team. There's no way a team returning 4 starters from an Elite 8 team should barely get into the tournament & get emnarrassed in the first round. Last season was a terrible coaching job. Also, look at the actual game we played in the first round against Miss st. First half we were on from three point range & we were ahead because of it. Second half we were frozen cold from 3, couldn't hit anything. Any coach who has a minimal understanding would switch up the gameplan & start trying something else. Not Kent. We just shot 3 after 3, missing every one & proceeded to get killed. That's bad coaching!
ducksin2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducksin2010 »

i just wish i had a copy of the alabama game to watch after every loss to remind me that we have won this year... a copy of K State would be nice too after they beat texas
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

Proof pac-10 teams are underated...First, we were able to beat teams like Alabama and Kansas st. who are doing well this year and K state just beat texas but we're unable to win in the pac-10 that shows its strong...second, Stanford goes 10-0 out of conference and is now 3-6 in conference but is percieved weak because it's a "weak" pac-10 yet no one outiside of it beat them...third, ASU and UCLA are legit NC contenders, Before the pac-10 season started they were both top ten teams but since this "weak" conference beats up on itself they are ranked 23rd and 12th respectively...And sorry I guess EK's been here for awhile...I'm meaning before Ernie got here back in the Jerry green days and before...We weren't any good...We didn't go to NCAA tournaments, we didn't challenge for pac-10 titles, we were out athleted all the time...By no means am I saying I like this season or am satisfied...I'm saying Eugene is a terribly difficult place to recruit well to and EK has done a ridiculously good job...This team is getting better and better and it wouldn't suprise me if they won 3 games in the second half of the pac-10...I'm saying I feel that the only place we go if we fire EK and hire a new coach is right back into mediocrity and that just seems like a dumb idea to me...And i've said more times than I can count that if we don't win a pac-10 games he has to go...You can't just not win one...But this team is so young and so inexperienced...Even outside of the freshman...the two sophs and two jr's and two sr's are all lacking experience in there current rolls...give it a year...next year they'll be much much better especially if we add one more high level recruit to this class...And then when they're jr's and tp's finally gone and we add another recruiting class to them and Kam and LL are SR's this team will be amazing
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

pudgejeff wrote:Proof pac-10 teams are underated...First, we were able to beat teams like Alabama and Kansas st. who are doing well this year and K state just beat texas but we're unable to win in the pac-10 that shows its strong...second, Stanford goes 10-0 out of conference and is now 3-6 in conference but is percieved weak because it's a "weak" pac-10 yet no one outiside of it beat them...third, ASU and UCLA are legit NC contenders, Before the pac-10 season started they were both top ten teams but since this "weak" conference beats up on itself they are ranked 23rd and 12th respectively...And sorry I guess EK's been here for awhile...I'm meaning before Ernie got here back in the Jerry green days and before...We weren't any good...We didn't go to NCAA tournaments, we didn't challenge for pac-10 titles, we were out athleted all the time...By no means am I saying I like this season or am satisfied...I'm saying Eugene is a terribly difficult place to recruit well to and EK has done a ridiculously good job...This team is getting better and better and it wouldn't suprise me if they won 3 games in the second half of the pac-10...I'm saying I feel that the only place we go if we fire EK and hire a new coach is right back into mediocrity and that just seems like a dumb idea to me...And i've said more times than I can count that if we don't win a pac-10 games he has to go...You can't just not win one...But this team is so young and so inexperienced...Even outside of the freshman...the two sophs and two jr's and two sr's are all lacking experience in there current rolls...give it a year...next year they'll be much much better especially if we add one more high level recruit to this class...And then when they're jr's and tp's finally gone and we add another recruiting class to them and Kam and LL are SR's this team will be amazing

How many times have we challenged for pac-10 titles under Kent, once or twice?
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

Competed 4 or 5 times...won one...and 2 tournament titles.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

pudgejeff wrote:I'm saying I feel that the only place we go if we fire EK and hire a new coach is right back into mediocrity
It's always a risk to hire a new coach, but there is always a possibility that a new coach would take the program to a higher level. You make it sound like Ernie is the best coach out there that we could ever get. Odds are that now that we have had some success under Ernie, we could attract a coach that could actually achieve more than Ernie seems able to. Why are you so sure that if we got a new coach that we would do worse?

pudgejeff wrote:this team is so young and so inexperienced...Even outside of the freshman...the two sophs and two jr's and two sr's are all lacking experience in there current rolls
The non-Freshman are inexperienced because of Ernie's coaching. If he had played them more in prior seasons they would have experience and might have helped the team out while gaining that experience. Instead we have good players transferring so that they can get playing time.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

They played plenty...they're playing time was in supporting cast rolls though not as the leaders and the stars that there expected to be now...It takes time
Robstu
One Star Recruit

Post by Robstu »

http://media.www.dailyemerald.com/media ... 7763.shtml

Kent and this dude are smoking the same ganja.

I just hate the argument that KENT is the best coach we're ever gonna have at Oregon and we should just accept that and be happy with what we have.

For what it's worth, my cousin a die hard Fuskie alum, has told me on countless occasions that he hopes Kent will be at Oregon forever because he knows with the right coach what this program could become.