UNLV PF/Portland Native Mike Moser visiting Oregon Fri/Sat

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

"A source says UNLV transfer Mike Moser has yet to decide on a college. He will visit Oregon on Friday/Saturday & Washington on Sunday/Monday"

There was a report a few weeks ago that Moser was transferring to Washington. Now it looks like Oregon is in the mix.

Would love to see Moser end up at Oregon. Like Kazemi, Moser is a monster on the boards - one of the best rebounders in the country. He's an excellent athlete, a solid free throw shooter, and is a capable pick and role player (think Paul Millsap in this regard). He is thin though and is kind of a hybrid SF/PF (much like Andre Roberson from Colorado).

After transferring from UCLA and sitting out a year, Moser averaged 14/10.5 in his first season with UNLV. Last year, Moser's playing time was cut short due to the presence of Anthony Bennett. Moser will be a graduate transfer and has one year of eligibility.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Re: UNLV PF/Portland Native Mike Moser visiting Oregon Fri/S

Post by greenyellow »

I wouldn't mind him coming since he'd help fill the role left by Kazemi.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

IDK about this one. Moser hasn't been the same since his injury. He turns it over a lot and shoots pretty bad percentages. His rebounding is a nice plus, but I was just talking with some other sports fans about how Moser's game has gone down.

Hopefully it really is a product of just Bennett and other guys taking some minutes.

But still would be a good pick up. We need the boards, and it's getting late in the game. Hopefully Dana can develop his offense a little more.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Sure would have been nice to pick up one of those JCs with 2-3 sesaon left, but Moser could provide a temporary stop-gap, I guess.

Dana must see some value, since MM is visiting. Maybe Moser can turn into a beast for the regular season.

Wouldn't it be sweet to get the first shot at these guys, instead of the barrel scrapings at the end of their college careers?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I don't understand the negativity...

He's exactly what we need this coming season. A tough rebounder underneath and an experienced defender. He's got an offensive game, too, but that's really just gravy. I think it would be a complete coup to sign him.

We are starting to get players like this at the beginning of their careers. We got Carter last year, and Bell this year. The five star front court recruits like Bennett and Gordon would have been nice to get, but they're both one and done types. I'm pretty happy with where we're at as a program.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Kyle's Brother wrote:I don't understand the negativity...

He's exactly what we need this coming season. A tough rebounder underneath and an experienced defender. He's got an offensive game, too, but that's really just gravy. I think it would be a complete coup to sign him.

We are starting to get players like this at the beginning of their careers. We got Carter last year, and Bell this year. The five star front court recruits like Bennett and Gordon would have been nice to get, but they're both one and done types. I'm pretty happy with where we're at as a program.
Moser
21.3mpg
36% FG
26% 3p
2.2 pf
1.7 topg
(Also his awesome soph year? He averaged 2.9 pf and 2.7 topg)

Just saying, he's not a very efficient player outside of rebounding. Like, at all. And I watched him play in a few games this year, and came away very unimpressed. Someone at 6'8" should be shooting higher FG percentages.

Compared to Kazemi:
29.0mpg
59% FG
0 % 3p (didn't shoot any)
1.9 pf
1.5 topg

Not trying to be negative, just saying what I've observed from watching a few games, and from looking at his statistical output. I still think he would be a nice boost for us. I just don't know how well he will fit into the team.

TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

He wasn't a good player last season, but these one year transfers are relatively low risk deals. Moser has played really good ball in the past, and if he is healthy he could provide a lot for Oregon. Oregon missed on the Juco player named Jones, so this isn't a bad plan B. Altman is also a much better coach than UNLV's coach.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

Moser
21.3mpg
36% FG
26% 3p
2.2 pf
1.7 topg

Just saying, he's not a very efficient player outside of rebounding. Like, at all. And I watched him play in a few games this year, and came away very unimpressed. Someone at 6'8" should be shooting higher FG percentages.

Compared to Kazemi:
29.0mpg
59% FG
1.9 pf
1.5 topg

Not trying to be negative, just saying what I've observed from watching a few games, and from looking at his statistical output. I still think he would be a nice boost for us. I just don't know how well he will fit into the team.
I don't know anything about Moser other than what I've seen in the maybe 4 games I've seen him play. No personal interest in it one way or the other.

His junior year he shot 45% from the field, and grabbed 10+ boards per game. If Altman is looking at him, I'd guess he think he's more that player than what his stats show from last season. I'm not sure why 3p%, to/g, and fouls/g matter to be honest. And the difference in field goal percentage is a product of Kazemi never shooting from outside of 5 feet while Moser shoots jumpers.

Like I said, I don't care one way or the other. Moser looks like he could help us inside, where we look extremely thin. There probably isn't gonna be another Kazemi anywhere, and I'd wager there won't be a transfer that fits our needs better than Moser (assuming that Tulane kid isn't considering us).
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I would definitely take him.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Kyle's Brother wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Moser
21.3mpg
36% FG
26% 3p
2.2 pf
1.7 topg

Compared to Kazemi:
29.0mpg
59% FG
1.9 pf
1.5 topg

I don't know anything about Moser other than what I've seen in the maybe 4 games I've seen him play. No personal interest in it one way or the other.

His junior year he shot 45% from the field, and grabbed 10+ boards per game. If Altman is looking at him, I'd guess he think he's more that player than what his stats show from last season. I'm not sure why 3p%, to/g, and fouls/g matter to be honest. And the difference in field goal percentage is a product of Kazemi never shooting from outside of 5 feet while Moser shoots jumpers.

Like I said, I don't care one way or the other. Moser looks like he could help us inside, where we look extremely thin. There probably isn't gonna be another Kazemi anywhere, and I'd wager there won't be a transfer that fits our needs better than Moser (assuming that Tulane kid isn't considering us).
And you're probably right, Moser is probably our best choice this late in the game. And if he plays like he did his sophomore year, he will be a great addition! Hopefully his jr year was a fluke.

Topg and pf I only included, because I was surprised how high they were for a PF playing just over 20mpg. They probably don't matter that much.

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Sounds as if the kid from TUlane is looking at Pitt, Illinois, Iowa State, and Gonzaga... Then, again, who knows what Altman can pull out of his hat. Few of us saw Kazemi coming.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

According to MOPS, Moser is down to Oregon, Gonzaga, and Washington. It appears as though Oregon and Gonzaga are in the lead.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

duckgrad99 wrote:According to MOPS, Moser is down to Oregon, Gonzaga, and Washington. It appears as though Oregon and Gonzaga are in the lead.
If Oregon gets the Moser that was healthy and very good at the 4, then this would be a big pickup.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

From Vegas. Watched unlv my whole life. I really like moser.

Sent from my iPad
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Would be great pickup, nice to have another guy with experience and his rebounding would be really big if healthy.