This wouldn't be good for Altman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
But if the members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches board of directors get their way, all transfers will have to sit out a year, regardless of their issue. There was apparently only one dissenting vote when the group met last week to discuss the issue and suggest to the NCAA a change.
Duck07
All-American

Re: This wouldn't be good for Altman

Post by Duck07 »

Boom wrote:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
But if the members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches board of directors get their way, all transfers will have to sit out a year, regardless of their issue. There was apparently only one dissenting vote when the group met last week to discuss the issue and suggest to the NCAA a change.
I bet if CBB Coaches had to sit out a year before changing schools we wouldn't see this. Or maybe they should go on a kick to make scholarships cover 4 years instead of having to be renewed every year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

The only time I see this as a problem is when a 5th year senior transfers to a school in the same conference. Otherwise, I think it's pretty cool. Gives guys from smaller schools a chance to move up. And inversely, it also gives guys who are at a big school to downgrade to a smaller school to see more minutes.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
The only time I see this as a problem is when a 5th year senior transfers to a school in the same conference. Otherwise, I think it's pretty cool. Gives guys from smaller schools a chance to move up. And inversely, it also gives guys who are at a big school to downgrade to a smaller school to see more minutes.
Well this transfer clause is for "academic" reasons so conference affiliation shouldn't matter. They have to enroll in a graduate program not offered at their current school. I believe Masoli transferred to pursue his graduate degree in park and recreation services at Ole Miss.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

With this rule Kazemi would be punished for having been racially abused.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

The NCAA is a joke
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Boom wrote:The NCAA is a joke
You realize this is from the National Association of Basketball Coaches and not the NCAA, don't you?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

boom isn't wrong, though.
ImageImageImageImageImage
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

We need something that holds both side accountable. I just posted this somewhere else, but I am in favor of this if it is fair to both sides:

I totally agree that transfers at the same level should have to sit 1-year, regardless of the situation. If you choose to leave for more playing time and don't want to sit, then you have to transfer down a level. The player has made a commitment to a program and a coach and they should honor that commitment or be penalized . I would only add two exceptions to the rule: 1) if a coach leaves the program or is fired, you are free to transfer same-level with no penalty; 2) If there is documented abuse (like a Rutgers or Rice type situation), you are free to tranfer same-level with no penalty.

However, I also think that the school should be required to honor the commitment they made to the scholarship athlete. In no case shall a school pull a scholarship to make more room for a more talented incoming player. If you don't have room, then you don't get add players. The scholarship shall be good for a minimum of 4-years once the LOI is signed. If a player suffers a college ending injury, then he is to remain on scholarship, but that scholarship is not counted against the allowable limit. However, if the player breaks the school code of conduct, then that player can be released from their scholarship and the team.

I feel this would make both sides accountable for the decisions they make.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

northbeachsf wrote:We need something that holds both side accountable. I just posted this somewhere else, but I am in favor of this if it is fair to both sides:

I totally agree that transfers at the same level should have to sit 1-year, regardless of the situation. If you choose to leave for more playing time and don't want to sit, then you have to transfer down a level. The player has made a commitment to a program and a coach and they should honor that commitment or be penalized . I would only add two exceptions to the rule: 1) if a coach leaves the program or is fired, you are free to transfer same-level with no penalty; 2) If there is documented abuse (like a Rutgers or Rice type situation), you are free to tranfer same-level with no penalty.

However, I also think that the school should be required to honor the commitment they made to the scholarship athlete. In no case shall a school pull a scholarship to make more room for a more talented incoming player. If you don't have room, then you don't get add players. The scholarship shall be good for a minimum of 4-years once the LOI is signed. If a player suffers a college ending injury, then he is to remain on scholarship, but that scholarship is not counted against the allowable limit. However, if the player breaks the school code of conduct, then that player can be released from their scholarship and the team.

I feel this would make both sides accountable for the decisions they make.
Wow that is too well reasoned to ever be made NCAA policy! I think that you have pretty much nailed every scenario there is, with a common sense solution.
But like I said it makes too much sense for the NCAA to implement!