Why hasn't Ernie Kent been hired yet?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I know that the up and down recruiting cycles at Oregon hurt his reputation, and I know that getting fired from his Alma Mater after leading them to two Elite Eight's has given him a bad rap, but he's still a very good coach. He also had a great record at St. Marys before being hired at Oregon.

I'm sure that part of it has been him just looking for the right situation, but I'm still surprised that someone hasn't hired him by now.
John 3:36
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Re: Why hasn't Ernie Kent been hired yet?

Post by rentdodger1 »

SuperDuck wrote:I know that the up and down recruiting cycles at Oregon hurt his reputation, and I know that getting fired from his Alma Mater after leading them to two Elite Eight's has given him a bad rap, but he's still a very good coach. He also had a great record at St. Marys before being hired at Oregon.

I'm sure that part of it has been him just looking for the right situation, but I'm still surprised that someone hasn't hired him by now.
Getting fired from Oregon did not give Kent a bad rap. Many coaches get fired and resurface.

Without getting into details, it is highly unlikely that Kent would get hired by another D-1 program. Moos might try and get him in at WSU but I'm not sure he could get by an administrative review. He has had his hat in the ring for several jobs and no takers for good reasons.

As far as his record, he had some good years at both Oregon and St. Mary's but overall he was an average coach, at best.

If there was a league that was limited to playing 5 guards, he might find himself employed again.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i keep hoping a very small d-1 school would hire him as to get him off the pac-12 network.
ImageImageImageImageImage
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

oregontrack wrote:i keep hoping a very small d-1 school would hire him as to get him off the pac-12 network.

OTrack-not likely, that gig with the pac-12 is probably the best he is going to get. Kent is no spring chicken, he is closing in on 60.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

1. x and o's wise he was a average coach at best
2. If he did not have an All American point guard his systme went to crap
3. Im going to ruffle some feathers and say if you look past star rating and look at the type of players he brought in he actually wasint that great of a recruiter. Right now I would say Dana is a better recruiter than Kent
4. He is not well liked throughout the College basketball world.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

He's better at commentating then coaching?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

UOducksTK1 wrote:He's better at commentating then coaching?
Kent is definitely better commentating than coaching.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i prefer to think of it as being slightly less awful.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

justducky0 wrote:1. x and o's wise he was a average coach at best
3. Im going to ruffle some feathers and say if you look past star rating and look at the type of players he brought in he actually wasint that great of a recruiter. Right now I would say Dana is a better recruiter than Kent
If you're including 1 year transfer players... then yes. Kazemi, Joseph, & Olu Ashaolu were as good or better than anyone Kent brought in at those positions.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Boom wrote:
If you're including 1 year transfer players... then yes. Kazemi, Joseph, & Olu Ashaolu were as good or better than anyone Kent brought in at those positions.
I think it is fair to include one year transfers in recruiting. Oregon has beat out some big-time programs for those players.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

TheMaehlMan wrote:
Boom wrote:
I think it is fair to include one year transfers in recruiting. Oregon has beat out some big-time programs for those players.
I guess..

But Altman hasn't much success recruiting highschool kids
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Boom wrote:
TheMaehlMan wrote:
Boom wrote:
I guess..

Kent in 13 yrs landed what 2-5* (rid and Hariston) and Brooks was a high 4*. Dana landed high 4* Brown who thought he was in need of the rock every play and didn't want to be a team player so he took his ball and left. Yet 3* Dotson turned out to be a better player then Brown and of course Altman stole Artis from UCLA. I also could see Carter turning out to be as good of a PF/C then anyone Kent brought in. Bell is everything Kent missed on at the 4, the kid is going to be a defensive nightmare for other teams.

Really in 3 years Altman isnt doing that bad, it just took a hit with his first real class fizzling out with Brown leaving and having to show Barron the door cause he was selling drugs and had a bad attitude.

I wouldn't bet against UO landing former Oregon prep and current LBP 4* Chatman.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Boom wrote:
TheMaehlMan wrote:
Boom wrote:
I guess..

Kent in 13 yrs landed what 2-5* (rid and Hariston) and Brooks was a high 4*. Dana landed high 4* Brown who thought he was in need of the rock every play and didn't want to be a team player so he took his ball and left. Yet 3* Dotson turned out to be a better player then Brown and of course Altman stole Artis from UCLA. I also could see Carter turning out to be as good of a PF/C then anyone Kent brought in. Bell is everything Kent missed on at the 4, the kid is going to be a defensive nightmare for other teams.

Really in 3 years Altman isnt doing that bad, it just took a hit with his first real class fizzling out with Brown leaving and having to show Barron the door cause he was selling drugs and had a bad attitude.

I wouldn't bet against UO landing former Oregon prep and current LBP 4* Chatman.
I've never been worried about stars... I just want his kids to stick around and develop.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

A lot of Kent's best players his first few years where JC guys also. Scales and Bracey come to mind, it takes a while to get and develop HS players. I have no doubt Almans staff can do the same, transition to a more HS heavy classes.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I think with Artis.Dotson,Carter them staying will help bring stability to the
program. They will help recruits when on visits see the program from a veterans
point of view. I believe in what Altman is doing. Oregon is going to be
a force to reckon with. The style is different then anyone in the conference.
Teams have to prepare for Oregon on both ends. Some so called experts are saying
Arizona and Oregon are the two favorites next year in the pac-12. Altman's teams always
seem to play hard. They always seem to play together very well. The stat i look at
is assists. Ernie's team always lacked here. Altman's teams are usually high in
assists vs what we had been. When assists are down means they did not play well or
together.