Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Utah?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

How's Utah? I know we have quite a few members from Utah, so I'm curious what it's like there (especially Salt Lake City). How's the weather generally? I'm not Mormon, will I be able to survive being surrounding by so many Mormons? etc..

I might go to grad school at Utah, so it'd be helpful to get some input from some of our members!

Thanks.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoBiG-E
High School Drop Out

Re: Utah?

Post by GoBiG-E »

I do not live in Salt Lake City but have some good friends who live there and one of them went to grad school at Utah. They are not Mormon and love living in the SLC. They are very outdoorsy people and have become friends with a lot of non LDS folks. Of course it probably doesn't hurt that my buddy is Marketing Manager of Ski Utah : ) The rest of my friends their are teachers. Anyway, I have visited SLC and the surrounding areas multiple times. All things considered the SLC is a relatively cool city for what it has to offer. Utah's campus is nestled up against the mountains and seems pretty nice. SLC is definitely beautiful with snow on the mountains but it is no where green as Oregon. However, southern Utah and all the mountains are absolutely amazing for outdoor adventures with all the national parks/ski resorts. The weather? I'd just do a google search for their weather to get accurate info. It is obviously A LOT sunnier compared to Oregon. I know it can definitely get chilly in the winter but not that extreme. The biggest program I know of is that the city gets an "inversion" with the weather which causes the air quality to get bad at times. Anyway, I hope this helps out. What are you planning on studying?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GoBiG-E wrote:I do not live in Salt Lake City but have some good friends who live there and one of them went to grad school at Utah. They are not Mormon and love living in the SLC. They are very outdoorsy people and have become friends with a lot of non LDS folks. Of course it probably doesn't hurt that my buddy is Marketing Manager of Ski Utah : ) The rest of my friends their are teachers. Anyway, I have visited SLC and the surrounding areas multiple times. All things considered the SLC is a relatively cool city for what it has to offer. Utah's campus is nestled up against the mountains and seems pretty nice. SLC is definitely beautiful with snow on the mountains but it is no where green as Oregon. However, southern Utah and all the mountains are absolutely amazing for outdoor adventures with all the national parks/ski resorts. The weather? I'd just do a google search for their weather to get accurate info. It is obviously A LOT sunnier compared to Oregon. I know it can definitely get chilly in the winter but not that extreme. The biggest program I know of is that the city gets an "inversion" with the weather which causes the air quality to get bad at times. Anyway, I hope this helps out. What are you planning on studying?
Good deal, I'm actually not big on snow sports unfortunately. I know Utah is big for that, but that's not my thing. I do love the outdoors though. Honestly, I'll probably be spending much of my time indoors or around the city anyway due to double grad majoring! Glad to hear that on the weather, I actually was under the impression that Utah was cold and wet for a good amount of the year. I do prefer sunny weather during most the year.

I'm getting my masters in Computer Science and trying to get my MBA. I just got accepted into their MBA program, so just waiting to hear back from their CS department. If I don't start working once I graduate next term with my bachelor degree, then I'm pretty sure I'll be attending Utah.

Where do you live?

L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Post by L Perry »

SLC is high desert country! About 4300 ft., hot in the summer cold and snowy in the winter. The Great Salt Lake and its accompanying geography can produce a rather foul smell a couple of times a year (stinky gas). It has pros and cons like most any city. I would suggest a visit to truly get the feel of the place.
Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

I lived in SLC during High School and absolutely loved it. I'm not mormon and had no issues regarding that. Lived in Sandy between the two canyons that lead to the ski areas and also lived on the military base there right next to Utah's campus.
I thought the outdoor activities were 2nd to none and that was before anything was built or expanded for the Olympics. Winter has every snow activity you can think of. If you're a hunter then hunting is pretty good there. Summer has hot weather but not humid at all. Great mountain biking, hiking, golfing, tennis, etc. Obviously you've got the Jazz. They've also got AAA baseball and ice hockey and a lot of major entertainers go there similar to the Rose Garden schedule. Plus, mormon or not, there's a lot of great looking women there.
Obviously if booze is a big part of your life then there are better places to go, but I think the whole alcohol thing that gets talked about in Utah isn't as bad as people make it seem.
If I had the opportunity I'd move back, no doubt about it.
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

Loved utah. i would do anything to go back to logan. I'm mormon though. but the people are generally nice and accepting, it is clean, and a good place to be.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'm going to be visiting University of Utah starting tonight until Friday morning. Can't wait!

big z
Two Star Recruit

Post by big z »

The only down side to living here is the 3.2% beer
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

We visit SLC a lot. Stay in Sandy & ski up at Alta, Snowbird, etc.. The alcohol thing is a bit of a downer (made sure I was completely stocked on the second trip). Yikes!!!

Do love the high desert feel to it and there are some good restaurants around. I will definitely go back!