http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/2 ... on-sec-bcs
Nothing exactly new, but I figure the board will still appreciate it nonetheless.
EBCSECPN
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
-
Braveheart
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1549
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 am
- Bud Lee
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5541
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am
- Location: Da Boot
Re: EBCSECPN
Man I tried reading it...I did...but all I kept hearing in my head was "blah blah wamp blah, corporate conspiracy, blah blah, my butt hurts, blah blah"
If the 5 teams from the SEC that have gone to and won those games didn't belong they would have been exposed in the game.
I'm glad that we get to see a playoff system in 2 years, maybe then people will stop whining.
If the 5 teams from the SEC that have gone to and won those games didn't belong they would have been exposed in the game.
I'm glad that we get to see a playoff system in 2 years, maybe then people will stop whining.
-
duck55
- Senior
- Posts: 2157
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: Keizer OR
Re: EBCSECPN
Exposed? Like LSU was last year. We will never know if Okey State or Furd could have beaten them. For that matter, as much as Bama improved in 2 weeks, could it be possible that Oregon had had improved even more over the course of the season. The playoff system is a step in the right direction.Bud Lee wrote:Man I tried reading it...I did...but all I kept hearing in my head was "blah blah wamp blah, corporate conspiracy, blah blah, my butt hurts, blah blah"
If the 5 teams from the SEC that have gone to and won those games didn't belong they would have been exposed in the game.
I'm glad that we get to see a playoff system in 2 years, maybe then people will stop whining.
As far as the "blah blah wamp blah", there were some real valid points made in that article. It seems logical that this article would be offensive to the SEC faithful.
- Bud Lee
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5541
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am
- Location: Da Boot
Re: EBCSECPN
LSU didn’t get exposed as a team that didn’t belong in the BCS game because of that loss, clearly they were the number one team in the Nation. They beat 8 ranked teams including y’all (the Pac’s champion) and West Virginia (Big East Co-champs) at their house. They beat Bama at Bama just a few weeks earlier in their backyard. What happened in the Natty, was a very good ball team with a very good coach had a lot of time to tune up arguably the best defense in the nation and as a result they completely shut down an efficient but not great LSU offense.duck55 wrote:Exposed? Like LSU was last year.
I would of LOVED OSU to end up in the Natty, I was pulling for it but they lost to a team that should have been a cake walk where Bama only lost to the Number one ranked team in the nation.duck55 wrote:We will never know if Okey State or Furd could have beaten them. For that matter, as much as Bama improved in 2 weeks, could it be possible that Oregon had had improved even more over the course of the season. The playoff system is a step in the right direction.
The BCS system is what it is, and I am overjoyed to have a playoff system in two years, but that does not change the fact that the SEC has been the best conference in the nation. I guarantee if you pair off our two division in ranking order at the end of the year the SEC is going to take more wins.
Ben Franklin also made valid points why the turkey should be our emblem over the bald eagle, that doesn't mean he was right.duck55 wrote:As far as the "blah blah wamp blah", there were some real valid points made in that article. It seems logical that this article would be offensive to the SEC faithful.
duck55 wrote:It seems logical that this article would be offensive to the SEC faithful.
- duckpoint
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 548
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 am
- Location: Idaho
Re: EBCSECPN
Sorry Bud, but there is a great deal of truth in this article even if the "conspiracy theory" would be difficult if not impossible to prove.
I do agree with the author that the SEC is a very good conference with very good teams, but for the past several years advantages have been given to the SEC to create a perception of dominance.
Some of the arguments that are used to support the myth of SEC superiority:
1. The SEC has a championship game.
Although this is not unique to the SEC it is not a standard of all conferences and manufactures an additional "quality" opponent even though the teams involved had either a. already played and the outcome decided or b. had not played. In my opinion the old PAC 10 model was perfect. Every team plays every team every year.
2. The SEC has put more teams in bowl games.
The SEC routinely dines on cupcakes for AOC games, four of them to be exact and almost always at home. I do acknowledge that some SEC teams have added a quality team to their AOC schedules of late, but the point here is that the norm is SEC teams are set up to enter the conference schedule undefeated and only need 2 conference wins to become bowl eligible and it is possible to this without winning a single game in their own division.
3. The SEC has won more championships in the BCS era.
I think the article addressed this more than adequately.
In my opinion (I know I will catch some crap for this), there will never be a true, indisputable champion in college football until all teams and all conferences play by the same rules, ie. all conferences have the same format (number of teams), play the same number of AOC games, and are not allowed to play all AOC games at home. This would allow an equitable playoff system (only conference champions advance) that would not allow voters, ESPN or anyone else to stack the deck and manufacture a perceived greatness of any team or conference. Voters will never be 100% unbiased, the computers are only as good as the formulas they are programed with (GIGO) and ESPN and the like will always do whats best for their bottom line.
I do agree with the author that the SEC is a very good conference with very good teams, but for the past several years advantages have been given to the SEC to create a perception of dominance.
Some of the arguments that are used to support the myth of SEC superiority:
1. The SEC has a championship game.
Although this is not unique to the SEC it is not a standard of all conferences and manufactures an additional "quality" opponent even though the teams involved had either a. already played and the outcome decided or b. had not played. In my opinion the old PAC 10 model was perfect. Every team plays every team every year.
2. The SEC has put more teams in bowl games.
The SEC routinely dines on cupcakes for AOC games, four of them to be exact and almost always at home. I do acknowledge that some SEC teams have added a quality team to their AOC schedules of late, but the point here is that the norm is SEC teams are set up to enter the conference schedule undefeated and only need 2 conference wins to become bowl eligible and it is possible to this without winning a single game in their own division.
3. The SEC has won more championships in the BCS era.
I think the article addressed this more than adequately.
In my opinion (I know I will catch some crap for this), there will never be a true, indisputable champion in college football until all teams and all conferences play by the same rules, ie. all conferences have the same format (number of teams), play the same number of AOC games, and are not allowed to play all AOC games at home. This would allow an equitable playoff system (only conference champions advance) that would not allow voters, ESPN or anyone else to stack the deck and manufacture a perceived greatness of any team or conference. Voters will never be 100% unbiased, the computers are only as good as the formulas they are programed with (GIGO) and ESPN and the like will always do whats best for their bottom line.
- nogerO
- Senior
- Posts: 4516
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:48 pm
- Location: Wyoming
Re: EBCSECPN
BINGO!!! Johnny tell that man what he's won!"duckpoint wrote:Sorry Bud, but there is a great deal of truth in this article even if the "conspiracy theory" would be difficult if not impossible to prove.
I do agree with the author that the SEC is a very good conference with very good teams, but for the past several years advantages have been given to the SEC to create a perception of dominance.
Some of the arguments that are used to support the myth of SEC superiority:
1. The SEC has a championship game.
Although this is not unique to the SEC it is not a standard of all conferences and manufactures an additional "quality" opponent even though the teams involved had either a. already played and the outcome decided or b. had not played. In my opinion the old PAC 10 model was perfect. Every team plays every team every year.
2. The SEC has put more teams in bowl games.
The SEC routinely dines on cupcakes for AOC games, four of them to be exact and almost always at home. I do acknowledge that some SEC teams have added a quality team to their AOC schedules of late, but the point here is that the norm is SEC teams are set up to enter the conference schedule undefeated and only need 2 conference wins to become bowl eligible and it is possible to this without winning a single game in their own division.
3. The SEC has won more championships in the BCS era.
I think the article addressed this more than adequately.
In my opinion (I know I will catch some crap for this), there will never be a true, indisputable champion in college football until all teams and all conferences play by the same rules, ie. all conferences have the same format (number of teams), play the same number of AOC games, and are not allowed to play all AOC games at home. This would allow an equitable playoff system (only conference champions advance) that would not allow voters, ESPN or anyone else to stack the deck and manufacture a perceived greatness of any team or conference. Voters will never be 100% unbiased, the computers are only as good as the formulas they are programed with (GIGO) and ESPN and the like will always do whats best for their bottom line.
Trash this whole bullshit BCS crap and go with a 8 team playoff.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine