Concern over tv contracts

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

BADuck
One Star Recruit

Concern over tv contracts

Post by BADuck »

Is anyone else really worried about the recent tv contracts? How is anyone going to compete when ESPN is going to turn into a SEC promotion machine. Looks like it will be nearly all SEC all the time from CBS/Viacom and ESPN

SI.com had an article yesterday showing SEC will receive 2.25 Billion over 15 years from espn and 800 million over 15 years from cbs. PAC 10 get 125 million over 5 from espn and 97 million over 5 from Fox.

Dosen't look like they were able to do any better than what the PAC already had.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Re: Concern over tv contracts

Post by freedjr »

I read that ESPN article and yes, I'm a little worried. However, it's a business and ESPN doesn't have to be partial. Yes it sucks, but that's what happens in the world we live in. As they say, the only way to rectify the advantage is to win.

The thing that really threw me off was them saying how they're going to be playing more SEC basketball on ESPN. *shudder* We'll see how long that lasts.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

BADuck wrote:Is anyone else really worried about the recent tv contracts? How is anyone going to compete when ESPN is going to turn into a SEC promotion machine. Looks like it will be nearly all SEC all the time from CBS/Viacom and ESPN

SI.com had an article yesterday showing SEC will receive 2.25 Billion over 15 years from espn and 800 million over 15 years from cbs. PAC 10 get 125 million over 5 from espn and 97 million over 5 from Fox.

Dosen't look like they were able to do any better than what the PAC already had.
It sounds like the other leagues are doing the smart thing business-wise and simply joining their market-share to compete with the SEC. The deal that the others appear to be working out will be a huge contract, I would think.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I agree with the concept that to change this you win. That means as the Pac 10 starts playing the SEc more and more.. we start winning those games. That of course is easier said than done but the Pac 10 schools will be getting some shots at the SEC in the future. Oregon has Tennessee and Georgia in the next decade with a home and home agreement with both schools.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I agree with the concept that to change this you win. That means as the Pac 10 starts playing the SEc more and more.. we start winning those games. That of course is easier said than done but the Pac 10 schools will be getting some shots at the SEC in the future. Oregon has Tennessee and Georgia in the next decade with a home and home agreement with both schools.
I doubt I'll be able to afford it, but a road trip to see the Ducks play in Athens, Georgia sounds like an amazing experience to me. More opportunities like that sounds a-ok to me.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

echo31 wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:I agree with the concept that to change this you win. That means as the Pac 10 starts playing the SEc more and more.. we start winning those games. That of course is easier said than done but the Pac 10 schools will be getting some shots at the SEC in the future. Oregon has Tennessee and Georgia in the next decade with a home and home agreement with both schools.
I doubt I'll be able to afford it, but a road trip to see the Ducks play in Athens, Georgia sounds like an amazing experience to me. More opportunities like that sounds a-ok to me.

For once it will be nice to be living in the South. I've got Tennesee tickets lined up, and have no doubt I'll be in Athens too!
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

echo31 wrote:

I probly cant afford it either, but I shall no doubt claw and scratch my way there,if need be,...I am all over a TN trip next year......Went to The Big House, and ASU last year (dont EVEN get me started on that kick ass time) and its time to continue the tradition of at least one away game a year....especially if the SEC is involved.

GOOOOOOO Ducks.....