2 or 3?

40%
60%

Total votes: 10
mking22wvu
Three Star Recruit

The Greatest Scorer of All-Time

Post by mking22wvu »

Michael Jordan is the all-time leading scorer in DASL history with 25,358 points. That’s a whole lot of points. Unfortunately for him, he spent four seasons in “another” league prior to the creation of the DASL. If not for that, his points totals would be much higher…but it is what it is. Thanks to those wasted years, his career points total is much more attainable. Actually, this season, he’s very likely to get passed by two players: Rex Chapman and Glen Rice. If my calculations are correct, Rex sets 137 points behind the great Michael Jordan, while Glen sets 438 points behind. When accomplished, this will be a great feat for both players. Both Chapman and Rice are 34 years of age, so he’s likely to end his career with the record is he at least plays the same number of years as Rice and avoids injury. If both players continue the rest of the season at their current pace, Rice will need to average a smidge under 6 PPG more than Chapman next season to catch him. Regardless, the race for the top spot should be exciting, especially if they both play a few more seasons.

In honor of Chapman and Rice likely passing the great Michael Jordan on the all-time scoring list in the very near future, I thought I’d rank the players that realistically have a chance to one day reach the heights of Jordan, Chapman, and Rice on the all-time scoring list.

I didn’t include a few very young players who might have a chance based on their PPG averages because what the future holds for those players is much more unclear than some of the ones I did include. I included these players in the honorable mentioned section. Also, my numbers may not be exact, but they’re pretty darn close.

Calculation assumptions:

I used an approximation of Rex Chapman’s games-per-season stat to come up with my numbers. He was a very durable player, and durability is key in reaching his scoring heights. That number was 80 games-per-season.

Scoring numbers are based on the likelihood of each player reaching the current record by age 34, Rex Chapman’s current age, and the age he will likely break the record. Thirty-four is a very reachable age for most NBA players, but is a pretty long time for a player’s scoring prime to last. A few of the listed player very well may slow down before that age, making it difficult to reach the current record by age 34.

Young-blood honorable mentioned

Yao Ming – 2280 career points; needs to average just over 22.1 ppg for the next 13 years to reach the current record. He still needs to grow his offensive game a bit to reach that level of output, but Yao’s unbelievably skilled at this point.

Zach Randolph – 940 career points; Slightly over 21.8 ppg for the next 14 seasons will get him to the mark. He’s exploded during his rookie year, so I expect his scoring output to only increase.

DeShawn Stevenson – 1911 career points; A little over 20.9 ppg will get him to the record. I’d say DeShawn is probably the most likely of the honorable mentioned players to reach MJ’s current heights.

Alrighy….so here’s the list:

The Six Players That Realistically Could Challenge The All-Time Scoring Mark

#6 Jalen Rose – 12728 career points; 12630 points from current record

Jalen needs to average over a whopping 26.3 ppg to reach the record. His current output definitely makes it possible, but that’s the largest required average of any on this list…and even if he does reach it, he’s likely to quickly get passed by players younger than him.

# 5 Stephen Jackson – 7089 career points; 18269 points from current record

Jackson joined the NBA at an extremely young age, so he got a jump on most other scorers. He needs to average over 20.7 ppg to reach the record. Before this season, he had never averaged that much, but a jump in production this season has propelled him onto this list. Whether or not that jump in production is due to playing on a tanking Denver team remains to be seen.

#4 Kobe Bryant – 5864 career points; 19494 points from current record

Kobe needs to average about 22.2 ppg to reach MJ’s mark. He had a great jump in production last season, but has dropped off this season due to playing out of position. He may get back on track, but it may depend on where he plays and what position he’s slotted in going forward. He appears poised to continue growing his offensive game, and the sky’s the limit.

#3 Tracy McGrady – 7160 career points; 18198 points from current record

T-Mac, like Stephen Jackson, got a jump on the rest of the league. He needs to average just under 19 ppg to reach the record. He’s a flat out scorer, and is very, very likely to continue growing his offensive game. Even if he doesn’t though, he should easily reach the current record by 34. With an improvement in scoring per game, he could reach GOAT heights. McGrady is the player in the league today with the best chance to gain the all-time scoring record and not relinquish it for a long time. If he had a season-best greater than 21 ppg, and a better average this season (currently 18.4), he may be at the top of the list. He just hasn’t shown he can reach the heights of some of the best scorers currently in the DASL.

#2 Allen Iverson – 10053 career points; 15305 points from the record

Iverson needs to average over 23.9 ppg until 34 to reach the record. That’s a steep climb, but considering he’s averaged over 25 ppg each of the least three seasons, while improving each season, he should be fine in reaching the all-time scoring goal. He seems to still be improving. Though, it’s hard to see that going much further. He’s likely to be one of the best scorers the game’s ever seen when he calls it quits.

And the player most likely to challenge Rex Chapman and Glen Rice for DASL scoring supremacy is…

#1 Shaquille O’Neal

Shaq needs to average just under 19.5 ppg to reach the all-time scoring mark. Over the last two seasons, on a loaded Memphis team, he’s averaged just 20 and 21 ppg each season, but those two seasons followed seven seasons of absolute dominance where he average over 25 ppg in each, including 26 ppg upon entering the league. I have confidence Shaq will get back to his old ways. At 29, his play-style will age just fine. He, likely, won’t grow smaller as he ages, and that’s his greatest advantage. Shaq is likely to be the first player with the opportunity to pass whoever reigns supreme between Rice and Chapman….and all of the young kids will likely be looking up to the Big Diesel as they ascend on the list.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: The Greatest Scorer of All-Time

Post by UOducksTK1 »

MJ didn't get to play a whole career either, so the rest of these guys have an edge. Nice write up.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Dana Barros will pass him as well
mking22wvu
Three Star Recruit

Post by mking22wvu »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Dana Barros will pass him as well
I must've overlooked him.
Goose!
Five Star Recruit

Post by Goose! »

Zo's like ~6000 points away from the record too.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

How do you find out someones career points?
mking22wvu
Three Star Recruit

Post by mking22wvu »

FlDuckFan wrote:How do you find out someones career points?
Calculated them using their career field goals, free throws, and three pointers.
Marzeial
Freshman
GM: Atlanta Hawks

Post by Marzeial »

I would love to find Malone's career stats. Sure fire first ballot HOFer and he retired early while still putting up crazy numbers
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Hakeem was an absolute monster in this league. He put up like 33 and 14 the first few seasons that I had him but he only played like 10 seasons so his career stats don't show how dominant he was otherwise he would have been up there as well.

I'd have to think that Barros is near the top as well.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

This is a fantastic article BTW. Well thought out and totally unique.