GoDucksIn09 wrote:I am not disputing that Alabama pays their players. I am just curious how with the competitive nature of the SEC that they would not be exposed. Social media and cameras are everywhere nowadays. Given the high volume of cell phones with cameras how do they keep getting away with it.
I don't think it's a question of being exposed, more of a case of the NCAA is never going to do anything about it.
A while back some guy went through all Alabama players social media and found that a majority of the players drove brand new Dodge cars. Is there a sweetheart deal with a Dodge dealership? Is anyone going to investigate? No, because it's Bama.
Ole Miss got caught in the most recent blatant cheating, and they got a wrist slap. It wouldn't have even happened unless Mississippi State people pressed the issue. That's the only way it will be caught, if some rival raises a big stink. But LSU, Georgia, etc won't be snitching on Alabama because they are doing the same exact thing. We wouldn't have gotten caught for Willie Lyles if certain forces in Texas and in our own conference didn't make a big deal out of it.
College players will post stacks of money on social media, I forget which one I saw - but they guy deleted it pretty quickly and even if (a big if) someone asks he could say it was a friend's and he was just showing off.
And don't doubt that we have some shady stuff of our own. Was someone going to get Colt Lyerla's mom a house? Probably not, but I've known UO football players that drive cars wayyyyy out of the range of what someone of their socioeconomic status should be driving.
Summation: the only way some program is getting punished for this stuff is if they meet the two requirements of not being significant enough and their cheating is blatantly outside of the expected norms.