Congrats to the staff

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Congrats to the staff

Post by StevensTechU »

I've followed recruiting for enough time now that I know it takes a lot of things coming together to put together a great class, and sometimes even when you do a lot of things right, you may still have a rough time. I just want to point a few things out.

This staff had a plan.

In anticipation of the first year ever with an early signing period, the staff got on guys who they liked early on. The amount of players making visits as sophomores and juniors, paying their own way, is higher than I've ever seen at UofO. That meant hitting the phone lines and the tarmac to express interest to guys to convince them it was worth the trip. The use of "Saturday Night Live" was fantastic in helping here.

Added value to the brand. Oregon has been a hot brand for a while, but Cristobal has gotten buy in from his staff to depict this staff as a positive, upbeat bunch that's as fun to be around as any in the country. They then supported that by adding graphic designers and social media strategists to communicate that out in a way that the audience (recruits) respond to. Well done.

I don't expect to have a top 5 class every year. USC and UCLA are a mess right now and that can't be ignored. At the same time, Oregon isn't coming off an all-time great season and the in-state talent wasn't there this year, so there could be some upside down the road. But just in terms of seeing the big picture, having a plan, and putting that plan to action, I'm very happy where how Cristobal and staff did this year.
TualatinDuck
Senior
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 am
Location: Tualatin

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by TualatinDuck »

I agree, they did a fantastic job and it really feels like the crap show of the last couple years is turning a corner.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40581
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yup well done. We have so many talented pieces to play with in the coming years, especially on defense.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 am

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by Merganzer »

Very well said, STU, You're absolutely right that they had a plan, and they made it happen. Chip never really bought in to recruiting, certainly not to where he would establish a plan. Helfrich simply bought in to the, "Can't recruit to Oregon" narrative, and to some extent used it as an excuse to not spend energy on recruiting.
User avatar
UofDuck
Senior
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by UofDuck »

When someone is successful in one venture, they're often successful in others. Talent in leadership, logical thinking, planning, strategy, passion, mannerisms, decision making, etc are generally constants found in successful people. I'd like to think the attributes that make Mario a great recruiter will also make him a hell of a football CEO. It might take a little time for him to get his arms around everything, but I think (hope) he just might have a chance to become iconic.
User avatar
pezsez1
All Pac-12
Posts: 6291
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:30 pm
Location: RIP CITY

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by pezsez1 »

I'd still like to see more imaginative playcalling... but overall, I can see what this staff is working toward, and I really do like it. This class isn't just an incredible influx of talent, but Mario seemed to get many of the guys he'd originally wanted -- a departure from recent years, when we've seemed to whiff on crucial targets, without backups, and end up with players who don't excel in our systems.

Now it's a waiting game to see if Herbert comes back. If he does, look out! Next season could be special!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by greenyellow »

I think this class shows what happens when you finally get a stable coaching situation and a staff that can flat out recruit in a clean manner. You never once heard a bad word about Oregon's coaches on the recruiting trail from parents, coaches, and recruits.
Image
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by Duck07 »

This also lets next years class know that the coaches are capable of bringing in the best players to. Next up DJ U!
Image
User avatar
Phenom
All Pac-12
Posts: 9914
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by Phenom »

One thing that cannot be overlooked is that almost every single recruit that we targetted (including the ones we didn't get) would say that our staff was the one that recruited them the hardest. They worked their ass off and it showed. Thank you for believing in Oregon football, coaches, players, and recruits.
gogreen55
Senior
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by gogreen55 »

Recent years have forever erased any excuses when it comes to recruiting to Oregon. Men's basketball, women's basketball, track, softball, volleyball, etc. All of these sports have managed to land elite recruiting classes. Now we can add football to the list. I still don't know if Mario can actually coach at a championship level, but he continues to impress in every other aspect of the job.
Merganzer
Senior
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 am

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by Merganzer »

User avatar
OregonFan4Life
All-American
Posts: 15151
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Best part is I don’t think this staff is done yet, I truly believe they have a legit chance at Steele and Sopsher and no doubt they’ll continue to recruit hard to finish strong.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
User avatar
Alan
Senior
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by Alan »

I love this staff and the excitement they brought back to Oregon football! Just a simple congrats and a excellent job in your first year recruiting as a team!
User avatar
Duckenstein
Freshman
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by Duckenstein »

Phenom wrote:One thing that cannot be overlooked is that almost every single recruit that we targetted (including the ones we didn't get) would say that our staff was the one that recruited them the hardest. They worked their ass off and it showed. Thank you for believing in Oregon football, coaches, players, and recruits.
Yes spot on.

They got their guys.

In the PC, Mario was extremely excited about Townsend, KT, Wright, Jonah and some other guys.

They love this class.
maxduck
Senior
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Congrats to the staff

Post by maxduck »

I think this quote from Jalen Jelks says a lot.

“I love this team, I haven’t been around a program like this,” Jelks said. “The way the coaches are and the future, it is great. Of course I’d come back if I could.”

There will be a learning curve and growing pains but if Duck fans are patient I believe the future is very bright.
Post Reply