Scholarship limit
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
-
TyranT
- One Star Recruit
- Posts: 89
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:06 pm
Scholarship limit
How does Oregon go about making room if we are over the scholarship limit for this cycle. I understand the early enrollment players can go against the previous year’s limit. It seems to me that our institution has a plan in place to handle this, but I’m just unsure how. Additionally I was wondering if there is rumor of any other potential transfers other than Burmeister?
-
TualatinDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2439
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 am
- Location: Tualatin
Re: Scholarship limit
Capra transffered.TyranT wrote:How does Oregon go about making room if we are over the scholarship limit for this cycle. I understand the early enrollment players can go against the previous year’s limit. It seems to me that our institution has a plan in place to handle this, but I’m just unsure how. Additionally I was wondering if there is rumor of any other potential transfers other than Burmeister?
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Scholarship limit
There will be more. Curious about possible medical retirement and maybe one scholly taken away.
-
TyranT
- One Star Recruit
- Posts: 89
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:06 pm
Re: Scholarship limit
I was just reading an article outlining Div. I athletic scholarships. I was under the impression a scholarship was guaranteed for 4 years barring there isn’t any sort of conduct or academic related issues with the athlete. I found this was NOT the case. It’s a year by year contract in most cases. I kinda feel for a student athlete getting their scholarship pulled to make room for someone showing more potential, but I guess it’s the way it goes.
If I’m mistaken in my interpretation I’d surely appreciate the insight. Thanks
If I’m mistaken in my interpretation I’d surely appreciate the insight. Thanks
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Scholarship limit
In a typical year, you'll see the coaches aim to have just the right amount of scholarships, but then someone transfers, retires, or gets kicked off the team, and in their spot a walk-on will receive a 1-year scholarship.
This year, coaches are over-shooting the target, so when those transfers/retirements/foolishness inevitably happens, the team should be at just about the right amount. The folks getting the sh*t end of the stick are the walk-ons who may otherwise be in line for a scholarship. I don't know who that would be other than Ryan Bay at the moment.
This year, coaches are over-shooting the target, so when those transfers/retirements/foolishness inevitably happens, the team should be at just about the right amount. The folks getting the sh*t end of the stick are the walk-ons who may otherwise be in line for a scholarship. I don't know who that would be other than Ryan Bay at the moment.
-
TualatinDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2439
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 am
- Location: Tualatin
Re: Scholarship limit
The Pac-12 decided in 2016 to make all scholarships a 4 year contract. So medical retirement and/or transfers are going to be required.TyranT wrote:I was just reading an article outlining Div. I athletic scholarships. I was under the impression a scholarship was guaranteed for 4 years barring there isn’t any sort of conduct or academic related issues with the athlete. I found this was NOT the case. It’s a year by year contract in most cases. I kinda feel for a student athlete getting their scholarship pulled to make room for someone showing more potential, but I guess it’s the way it goes.
If I’m mistaken in my interpretation I’d surely appreciate the insight. Thanks
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Scholarship limit
With you, though I do wonder what the deal is with walk-ons being given scholarships. Is that carved out? I haven't looked it up.TualatinDuck wrote:
The Pac-12 decided in 2016 to make all scholarships a 4 year contract. So medical retirement and/or transfers are going to be required.
-
TualatinDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2439
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 am
- Location: Tualatin
Re: Scholarship limit
I dont believe they have to do that. Its more a moral thing from coaches to the team.StevensTechU wrote:With you, though I do wonder what the deal is with walk-ons being given scholarships. Is that carved out? I haven't looked it up.TualatinDuck wrote:
The Pac-12 decided in 2016 to make all scholarships a 4 year contract. So medical retirement and/or transfers are going to be required.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher