Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

User avatar
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am

Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend

Post by GoDucksTroll »

FlDuckFan wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:New crystal ball movement on Jay Butterfield, the #2 ranked pocket passing QB.

Probably not a good sign on DJ. Interesting, as Butterfield's dad played at Stanford and it was assumed he would follow suit. It doesn't look like Stanford is recruiting him.
Anyone else find it a bit funny that getting the #2 PP QB is a bit of a let down? In previous years it feels like the fanbase would be stoked to get Butterfield.
That's funny, because I was disappointed posting that.

Which should be ridiculous, because Butterfield would be right along Kellen Clemens and Dennis Dixon as the highest rated QBs we've ever recruited. I watched his Hudl and that kid has a ton of arm talent, throws a beautiful and easy to catch ball. Moves a bit like a newborn deer, but it's obvious why he's ranked that high with an absolutely elite arm like that.

But DJ U is such a rarity that anything else seems like a consolation prize in comparison. Especially when the dominoes were seemingly falling in our favor:

* USC chose Bryce Young instead. They are also a Dumpster fire.

* We lose a star QB and will have an open competition for the QB job. Clemson has Trevor Lawrence for DJ's freshman year.

* We're the much closer school, with a handful of his HS teammates and friends. We're the ones with a tradition of Poly QBs.
GoDucksIn09
Senior
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am

Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Butterfield didn't he coach a baseball team years ago? (sly grin) I must be getting old. Images of the Bad News Bears coming to mind. In all seriousness I would guess he is a backup plan in case don't get DJ. It is better to be prepared than to be disappointed and no viable options left. Just my opinion though.
User avatar
lukeyrid13
All-American
Posts: 10475
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Is he at all related to Brian & Ben Butterfield that were both former Ducks. I believe both were walk ons but played a ton on special teams.

I think we will go all out on Butterfield if/when DJ commits to Clemson.
User avatar
ncduck
Senior
Posts: 2189
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend

Post by ncduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Is he at all related to Brian & Ben Butterfield that were both former Ducks. I believe both were walk ons but played a ton on special teams.

I think we will go all out on Butterfield if/when DJ commits to Clemson.
Could be the staff has already started the push. Maybe a scenario in which the staff tells them both how much we want them, but whoever commits first gets the spot.
maxduck
Senior
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Recruits who received Oregon crystal balls this weekend

Post by maxduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Is he at all related to Brian & Ben Butterfield that were both former Ducks. I believe both were walk ons but played a ton on special teams.

I think we will go all out on Butterfield if/when DJ commits to Clemson.
I believe his father is Mark Butterfield, a Stanford QB who earned the starting role his senior season, leading the Cardinal to a 7-4-1 record in 1995. That year he threw for 2,500 yards with a 58% completion record.
Post Reply