QUACK! 2020 DE Maceal Afaese commits
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39222
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
QUACK! 2020 DE Maceal Afaese commits
The Ducks have gotten another 2020 commit from Hawaii, this time from 2020 3* DE Maceal Afaese. A former HS teammate of 2019 signee Treven Ma'ae, he's been a bit under-the-radar but has had a string of strong camp appearances that has garnered him several new offers in recent weeks.

- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: QUACK! 2020 DE Maceal Afaese commits
His junior highlight tape is pretty short, but I like what I see. Looks like a big body with the athleticism to play in or outside.
-
AshlandDuck
- Three Star Recruit
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:51 am
Re: QUACK! 2020 DE Maceal Afaese commits
I was linked to his instagram so I checked it out. There are pictures of him as a middle blocker playing team volleyball and pictures of him surfing. His frame is interesting. He's 16. He has really strong, fairly stout legs(both lower and upper) and not much of an ass. He appears to be broad shouldered with a good wingspan. The surfing hints at an ability to find balance and proper body control. The volleyball hints at hand-eye coordination, hand placement, and footwork. I can see it shine through in some of the drills and highlights he has on film. He uses his hands well and his feet seem to be in coordination. He also isn't a terrible athlete and has decent quickness. I think with his frame, age, and an apparent lack of weight room training, he has the potential to really transform his upper body and lower body into something. He doesn't look like he's seen a weight room in his life, but he still seems to play with a sufficient degree of upper-body strength. I just seem to think this guy has a lot going for him if he can develop his body. I am excited to see his development.
-
rsbgduck
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 672
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 am
- Location: Roseburg, OR
- Contact:
Re: QUACK! 2020 DE Maceal Afaese commits
I’m kind of curious about kids (verbally committed student athletes) that are developmental prospects who need a year or two in the weight room who commit (verbally or signed I’m not sure it matters) if they get any kind of a personalized workout/diet program from the strength and conditioning department or is everything off limits until they get on campus? I don’t think they do, I’m just curious.
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39222
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: QUACK! 2020 DE Maceal Afaese commits
They get sent stuff by the staff to help them get closer to college-level S&C workouts. Some schools will send it after recruits just verbally commit while others will wait until players are actually signed. Not exactly sure when Oregon sends their stuff out but I do know many of the 2019 recruits were doing workouts sent to them by Feld and the staff after the early signing day.rsbgduck wrote:I’m kind of curious about kids (verbally committed student athletes) that are developmental prospects who need a year or two in the weight room who commit (verbally or signed I’m not sure it matters) if they get any kind of a personalized workout/diet program from the strength and conditioning department or is everything off limits until they get on campus? I don’t think they do, I’m just curious.

-
rsbgduck
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 672
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 am
- Location: Roseburg, OR
- Contact:
Re: QUACK! 2020 DE Maceal Afaese commits
greenyellow wrote:They get sent stuff by the staff to help them get closer to college-level S&C workouts. Some schools will send it after recruits just verbally commit while others will wait until players are actually signed. Not exactly sure when Oregon sends their stuff out but I do know many of the 2019 recruits were doing workouts sent to them by Feld and the staff after the early signing day.rsbgduck wrote:I’m kind of curious about kids (verbally committed student athletes) that are developmental prospects who need a year or two in the weight room who commit (verbally or signed I’m not sure it matters) if they get any kind of a personalized workout/diet program from the strength and conditioning department or is everything off limits until they get on campus? I don’t think they do, I’m just curious.
Thanks Greenyellew, always been curious but never thought about it when I could ask someone who may know. Makes since and could be an indicator to coaches on how serious a recruits verbal is.
- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40590
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: QUACK! 2020 DE Maceal Afaese commits
I feel like we get more underrated, projects at the D-line position than any other.
Anyway, I love when we tap into Hawaiian talent, and Afaese is pretty highly wanted by the Pac-12 so welcome!!
Anyway, I love when we tap into Hawaiian talent, and Afaese is pretty highly wanted by the Pac-12 so welcome!!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13